Wiper blades

Guys,

I'm really curious as to what blades you all use? I've tried the genuine ones from Toyota, I've tried the cheap aftermarket 'universal' ones and I've tried a couple in between. I have a real issue with the way that none of these blades push water away from the windshield straight infront of me.

My mother in law reported similar problems with her 1999 Camry which we managed to fix with the 'coloured' blades that don't really work on other cars.

So, has anyone cared enough about this to seek a solution or am I just being silly sensitive to a little water in my field of view?

During the rainy season i tend to wash my windscreen every couple of days with "windex" type cleaner. I find that this assists in allowing the water to "run" off the windscreen more readily...

Get some Bosch wiper blades. Head over to Super Cheap Auto, Repco, or Autobarn, and use the book there to find out which replacement you need.

On a side note, I still have the original wipers on mine and have no issues yet.

Guys,

I'm really curious as to what blades you all use? I've tried the genuine ones from Toyota, I've tried the cheap aftermarket 'universal' ones and I've tried a couple in between. I have a real issue with the way that none of these blades push water away from the windshield straight infront of me.

My mother in law reported similar problems with her 1999 Camry which we managed to fix with the 'coloured' blades that don't really work on other cars.

So, has anyone cared enough about this to seek a solution or am I just being silly sensitive to a little water in my field of view?

Go with genuine or as DJKOR said Bosch and as zr nate said keep the screen clean...stay away from those cheap plastic back wiper refills as these tend to fall over on themselves when wiping,always try and use a metal back refill as they are stiffer & heavier and press down more on the screen for a better wipe.Those colored refills you mentioned are by memory done by Aunger (Big Blue,Big Red ect ect) and they are a silicon based refill and have been known to squeek but do work well...

p.s still on my originals also,just on a year old no dramas yet & will buy genuine when needed... B)

I just re-read your original post there Wulfkind. I was out in the waiting room of Bridgestone when I replied so I didn't get the full gist of the question.

What is it in particular that you are having issues with on the wipers. Is it remaining water because it doesn't wipe the entire surface, or is it water remaining on the passenger side wiper arc?

I have noticed that on the return sweep, the drivers side wiper flings water over onto the section of glass that is covered by the passenger side wiper. If this is the problem you speak of, then there isn't too much you can do about it as it is a design fault.

If it's the wiping issue, my solution is to try Bosch wipers as mentioned previously. Not a guaranteed fix, but I've only have good experience with Bosch wipers.

I just re-read your original post there Wulfkind. I was out in the waiting room of Bridgestone when I replied so I didn't get the full gist of the question.

What is it in particular that you are having issues with on the wipers. Is it remaining water because it doesn't wipe the entire surface, or is it water remaining on the passenger side wiper arc?

I have noticed that on the return sweep, the drivers side wiper flings water over onto the section of glass that is covered by the passenger side wiper. If this is the problem you speak of, then there isn't too much you can do about it as it is a design fault.

If it's the wiping issue, my solution is to try Bosch wipers as mentioned previously. Not a guaranteed fix, but I've only have good experience with Bosch wipers.

The issue is more that the wiper leaves streaks and also does not clean the water off the window (it simply passes OVER the water and does not seem to conform to the shape of the wind shield)

I'll grab a set of the Bosch ones tomorrow anyway. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ask Daryl similar question two months back when i find that my wiper hasn't done a good job, he recommended Bosch wipers and off i go to SuperCheap to get it, its a great product and it doesn't cost much.. So far, it has done its job .. :)

Hi Wulfkind,

If you are putting brand new blades on and still getting streaks then the it is possible that it could be the wiper arms? You will see the aurion wiper arms are made up of six claws that hold the blades. If these are bent, don't pivot properly, hold the blade to tight or out of alignment it will not hold the blades properly. This can cause the blade not to wipe properly because there is not even pressure - I had this problem on another car once.

Id also make sure the windscreen is clean... there could be an invisble oily or waxy coating on the glass from something (for example someone could have even sprayed your windscreen with silicon as a joke!)

I also use Rain-X... that stuff is so good you don't even have to use the wipers when it is raining!

If you are putting brand new blades on and still getting streaks then the it is possible that it could be the wiper arms? You will see the aurion wiper arms are made up of six claws that hold the blades. If these are bent, don't pivot properly, hold the blade to tight or out of alignment it will not hold the blades properly. This can cause the blade not to wipe properly because there is not even pressure - I had this problem on another car once.

This is why I recommend the Bosch blades. When you go and buy them for the Aurion, they come in a complete arm and blade replacement. You don't get any of those problems then.

I grabbed the Bosch Aero range... looks good and wipes everything clean...!!!

Had them on my Yaris too!

Thanks guys, I ended up picking up Bosch Aero (BBA500 passanger and BBA600 driver for those who cannot be bothered flicking through the books) absolutely fixed my problem.

Were $$$ but definitely worth it.

Good to hear that solved your issue. Sometimes spending that little bit extra helps.

They should last fairly long though. Plus the fact that the blades are well protected from the elements, especially sunlight, helps add to their life.

I grabbed the Bosch Aero range... looks good and wipes everything clean...!!!

Had them on my Yaris too!

Thanks guys, I ended up picking up Bosch Aero (BBA500 passanger and BBA600 driver for those who cannot be bothered flicking through the books) absolutely fixed my problem.

Were $$$ but definitely worth it.

they are expensive, time to time SuperCheap does run a discount on the entire Bosch range wiper blades, saved me a good 20 bucks on the blades during that time... (helps that my missus was complaining about the OEM blades wasnt wiping the front screen clean lol... :P)

And you can use RainX :) This way, you wont even need to use your wipers :)
Tried before those, i ended up watching those droplets more than I did watching the car in the front lol...

I love that RainX. When you're stationary, you see the water slowly building up then running off the windscreen. Go fast though, and it clears your windscreen extremely well. I want something just like that but for the paintwork of the car.

And you can use RainX :) This way, you wont even need to use your wipers :)
Tried before those, i ended up watching those droplets more than I did watching the car in the front lol...

I love that RainX. When you're stationary, you see the water slowly building up then running off the windscreen. Go fast though, and it clears your windscreen extremely well. I want something just like that but for the paintwork of the car.

Went looking for some RainX today, wheres the best place to get it?

Went looking for some RainX today, wheres the best place to get it?

I wouldn't say it's the best place to get it, but I just get mine from K-Mart as the shops are only around the corner. Repco and the likes sell it though.

You can also try this in the washer bottle,works well... :)

Also easy to measure because you use exactly half a bottle of it to one complete washer bottle fill. The RainX effects of this additive aren't the greatest in my opinion, it's more for it's cleaning properties. I actually find the Toyota washer fluid additive to work even better at cleaning the windscreen. Toyota adds it every time I get a service and I don't mind it.

You can also try this in the washer bottle,works well... :)

Also easy to measure because you use exactly half a bottle of it to one complete washer bottle fill. The RainX effects of this additive aren't the greatest in my opinion, it's more for it's cleaning properties. I actually find the Toyota washer fluid additive to work even better at cleaning the windscreen. Toyota adds it every time I get a service and I don't mind it.

Yeah a bottle dose only last about 2 full washer fills :( , i think it makes about 8-9 ltrs per 296ml bottle...i found the one my Toyota dealer used to a bit soapy for me,so i've been using this with the normal Rainx and it contains the same polymer coating stuff used in their normal Rainx for water beading.

p.s Rainx washer additive is about 2-3 times the price of a normal additive (Trico,BarsBugs) so it would wanna do something extra...

Is it normal to get that streaky haze after putting RainX on? Or maybe my windows were just dirty.. Havent put it on the Aurion yet, but the Camry seems to have alot of streaking, which is a bit of an annoyance, but that car hasnt been washed in a century, although i did clean the windows before i put the RainX on

That's completely fine for Rain-X to do that. It's kind of like wax in the way you apply it. After it dries to a haze, buffing it off seems to just smear a light haze over the surface. If you just keep buffing it, it will blend to a point that you shouldn't really notice it.

guys

i grabbed some rainx-fog for inside the car like recommended, let you know soon how that goes.

i got some bosch blades as well, cut them, fitted, then problem. the arrows (two at the end) not grab on one of the wiper arms, they don' t pop out again, so they come back out if pulled.

should i be worried about this? other wiper is fine.

any reason to not just leave the blades cut to full width of windscreen, or better to pinch them down to same size as hard plastic backing?

whitestivo