2zz supercharger kit

hey looking at sc my sportivo soon, any1 no of a place to buy a kit?

or has any1 had them custom made here in oz?

cheers oh and also a computer for a 2zz cheers

I'd HIGHLY recommend to wait until E85 fuel is widely available. U reeeeally won't see much gain from a supercharger on a 2ZZ with only 98RON fuel. the 11.5:1 cr is too high and the supercharger becomes a restriction in the high revs where the 2ZZ is meant to shine.

A free flowing turbo like a Garrett GT2860RS with the .86 exhaust housing would be a much better option as modern turbos are much more efficient than superchargers so less heat generated and much friendlier and safer on the engine.

Oil cooler, upgraded radiator and removal of air con for better airflow to the radiator are pretty much a must if U want reliability.

U'll obviously need all the other supporting mods like exhaust, intake, injectors, LSD and ECU.

If u want more power than a sportivo, might be a good option to consider another car which would end up costing a lot less, having better resale value and handling much better.

I'd HIGHLY recommend to wait until E85 fuel is widely available. U reeeeally won't see much gain from a supercharger on a 2ZZ with only 98RON fuel. the 11.5:1 cr is too high and the supercharger becomes a restriction in the high revs where the 2ZZ is meant to shine.

A free flowing turbo like a Garrett GT2860RS with the .86 exhaust housing would be a much better option as modern turbos are much more efficient than superchargers so less heat generated and much friendlier and safer on the engine.

Oil cooler, upgraded radiator and removal of air con for better airflow to the radiator are pretty much a must if U want reliability.

U'll obviously need all the other supporting mods like exhaust, intake, injectors, LSD and ECU.

If u want more power than a sportivo, might be a good option to consider another car which would end up costing a lot less, having better resale value and handling much better.

Lotus dont seem to have to much problem getting more power out of the 2zz with a supercharger in the Elise SC (163kW & 212Nm) Exige S (164kW & 215Nm) and Exige Cup 260 (192kW & 236Nm). Even though the kW increase is not huge the torque increase is very reasonable and will help the Corolla get along very well indeed.

TRD in the US still list a supercharger for the Corolla but Im unsure if it is for a 1zz or 2zz. Double checked and was for 1zz and is not listed in current catalogue

Blitz made one for the 2zz by the looks of it.

Also even when E85 is readily available the fuel system in the Corolla will not be compatible as Toyota and many other manufacturers only recommend E10 in current vehicles.

Edited by SupaTouring

You say what where now? ;)

Greddy s/c or blitz s/c. ~140kw atw + alot more torque.

You don't need e85, you don't need to remove a/c, you don't need to upgrade radiator and you don't need lsd (unless you want). Basic mods i/e are needed in any form of induction and those kit comes with injectors and ecu.

Also if you need E85 to keep your engine together, you're going to need a lot larger injectors to get the required amount of fuel in, will also want to run an ethanol composition sensor and then have an ECU which can alter your fuel maps from that sensor output, as the consistency of E85 fuels is average at best... Ethanol composition sensors are available from a few vehicles that have been designed to run on E85 but will require a bit of custom work to the tank/lines to fit.

More info on the composition sensor can be found here: http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.htm

Not really worth it and also E85 isn't required to make decent power on a SC 2zz.

Edited by CHA54

before i start answering can you tell us what budget u r working with so i can atleast know which route to advise you down on all the different angles that need to be covered when upgrading a vehicles performance.

cheers

Bill

I reckon Lotus use lower compression pistons in their 2ZZ-GZE's. I'm sure people do bolt-on kits with ecus and have almost zero ignition timing just to get it to not detonate. Not reliable or efficient at all IMO.

I reckon Lotus use lower compression pistons in their 2ZZ-GZE's. I'm sure people do bolt-on kits with ecus and have almost zero ignition timing just to get it to not detonate. Not reliable or efficient at all IMO.

Not too sure where u r getting ur facts from but lotus in no way shape or form alters the engine from toyota ...... it uses the same 11.5:1 comp pistons as per a stock 2zz.

Now im not too sure about ur experience in boosting a 2zz be it turbo or s/c but it has been proven that u can easily run 16psi of boost through a stock 2zz without changing anything ..... NOW im not recommending that anyone do that because the guys that did this are a workshop and they had that thing on the road for 12 months in that manner doing all sorts of racing events and producing some respectable numbers. (with larger injectors and a PFC of course)

Its pretty simple ..... its all in the tune ..... u could run sub 10:1 comp pistons and still cause detonation if ur tuner has no idea what they are doing.

It's probably worth mentioning that the GReddy SC, since it is built for the Celica, will require some modifications to fit the Corolla. Also the alternator bracket has a habit of breaking, so factor in the cost of buying the BOE brackets. (that's the name of the mob that makes stronger brackets).

And Lotus don't change the pistons in their 2zz, still the same compression ratio.

I reckon

Sounds like you are making Assumptions. You do know what assume means?

Reminds me of a good quote:

Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those who do.

i recommend going full N/A like a 2.0L conversion from america which would be more powerfull then a supercharge i think...if i am not wrong

;)

Stroker kits for the 2ZZ dont make as much as a S/C. What they do make is way more low end torque, but you cant rev them as hard. Stroker + Turbo is king.

3ZZ stroker kit would be good in a sportivo tho, cheaper then S/C cause you'd need custom stuff, custom bonnet most likely too, I dont think it'd clear it.

IMO the easiest fit would probably be a TTE kit that was made for the European Corolla. Problem with that is that TTE is all out and I doubt there are any dealers with any left. Second option down that route is to scramble together the parts from here and there. There are at least one company in Canada that has a few TTE kits (not complete) which they use for Lotus rebuilds. Might be possible to get from there.

The GReddy kit can be made fit the Corolla. There is a guy in Hungary who has done just that. Specifics of the mod I don't have, but the car is up and running.

It shouldn't be a problem sourcing the Ogura supercharger, which is the one used in the TTE, but I would be surprised if going down either route would entail anything less than a massive websearch and cost to scramble the parts needed. There's a guy in Canada who has just converted his Matrix to SC using a semi-complete TTE kit.

As far as ECU goes there is no need to replace the stock one. Going piggyback does the trick just fine with ignition, fuel and supercharger clutch control.

There is a significant difference in how the engine behaves in the mid-range when it's SC. Even with the stock Ogura pulley. I feel that it's more a driveability improvement than sheer power, as downshifting isn't all that crucial anymore. I don't regret a second that I SC my T-Sport, but I still need a good launch to beat at NA Rolla.

All powerbenefits aside...just the sound alone makes it all worth it!! Gotta love the SC whine :D

I do have all the Toyota partnumbers needed to complete the kit. You can download it from my site, or send me an IM / e-mail.

Stroker kits for the 2ZZ dont make as much as a S/C. What they do make is way more low end torque, but you cant rev them as hard. Stroker + Turbo is king.

3ZZ stroker kit would be good in a sportivo tho, cheaper then S/C cause you'd need custom stuff, custom bonnet most likely too, I dont think it'd clear it.

Stock bonnet works just fine with any of the listed SC options.

Also even when E85 is readily available the fuel system in the Corolla will not be compatible as Toyota and many other manufacturers only recommend E10 in current vehicles.

The 2ZZ can indeed be E85 converted. It has been done in Sweden with success. That car ended up with appx 10% HP gain @ the wheels and (according to the owner) a significant torque increase in the lower half of the range. He did have some trouble with coldstarts once the temp dropped to around 7 deg C.

I reckon

Sounds like you are making Assumptions. You do know what assume means?

Reminds me of a good quote:

Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those who do.

AGREED X a gazillion :D

And it makes those here trying to learn learn nothing.

I am running 10psi through gt3076r on my stock 2zz-ge without dramas. And have a mate running 10psi through greddy s/c on his stock 2zz-ge celica. And there are plenty of supercharged/turbocharged 2zz-ge all over Australia without a problem, not mentioning in USA and the rest of the world. Please don't misinform others if you don't know yourself.

And 3zz-ge will cost more too btw. The cost of the kit + ecu + flywheel + removing the engine + rebuild + tuning is more than a s/c kit fitted and tuned.

I am running 10psi through gt3076r on my stock 2zz-ge without dramas.

**** yeh that's ideal. Low boost through a nice high flowing turbo. That's what I was tryin to say. That setup would be ideal for a 2ZZ and compliments the free flowing nature of the engine.

I never said superchargers won't work or anything nor did I say u won't gain some power but if U see how much timing has to be pulled out, it's enough to make u think is this really the ideal setup? The difference in power all the way through the revs between 98 and E85 with a supercharger would be huge.

Edited by bradsm87

i recommend going full N/A like a 2.0L conversion from america which would be more powerfull then a supercharge i think...if i am not wrong

;)

I still wonder where people get the 3ZZ name from? The 3ZZ-FE is a 1.6L Engine in Corolla's in Europe.

Anyway, we have a stroked 2L Sportivo, and it revs its tits off. Not sure what you meant when you said it doesnt rev as hard.

By the way this is running a real ECU though

I still wonder where people get the 3ZZ name from? The 3ZZ-FE is a 1.6L Engine in Corolla's in Europe.

They get it from Trial. 1zz + 2zz = 3zz. Since the 3zz-fe isn't sold in Japan Trial either didn't know if its existence or just didn't care.

Is yours a true 2L MT? :P

A lot of the stroker myths come from America where someone 10 years ago said there was uncertainty as to how strong the 1zz crank was, and its just snowballed from there with claims the max rpm it can take is 8000rpm. No one there wants the risk of it NA as they have never seen a dyno of a NA stroker 2zz make decent powah; mainly because most are low compression for turbo setups, and the rest never return to show off there powah.