TRD Supercharger for 1MZFE - Where and How?

birdie

I have 2002 Camry Sportivo - Manual V6... I'd love to get it going a bit better...

I was considering the TRD Supercharger kit for it...

I have seen them installed on right hand drive vehicles... what is involved in doing this? any tutorials?

Also any ideas on where i could get one?

And other thing is... how strong is the 1MZFE? ie... can you safely run more than the stock 4psi? I saw a video on youtube of one running at 7psi and made about 255whp... Nice :-D That'd be enough to get it up and going ;-D

Where: You'll have to go second hand from America and be prepared to pay about US$2k+ for the kit and then add shipping and customs of about AUD$1k.

How: Dave, aka supatouring would be the person to speak to as he was about to s/c a gen5.5 before he got his current car. For our RHD cars you'll need to modify/move the brake master cylinder as the supercharger pulley sits right there. I think there are extra things that needs to be done to the Gen5 compared to the gen4s.

At 4psi you should be getting roughly 150kw atw using the stock ecu. You can get more if you get a piggy back + tuning. You wont need to upgrade anything other than maybe some colder spark plugs.

At 5.5psi you'll be getting roughly about 190kw atw. You will need to put a 190lph fuel pump, upgraded injectors, a fuel line mod and a piggy back computer. With a good tune, everything will still be fine.

Anything above 5.5psi, intake temperature is begining to be a problem and thus a case of deminishing returns from the extra boost. It also increasing the risk of detonation and knock sensors blowing.

However, too much power also means that it'll be very difficult to cleanly launch the car off the line. At 4psi, wheel spin in first is a big problem already!

Edited by STYLSH

^^ Agreed with Anthony above...

Dave is THE person to talk to. He installed his own on his Gen 4, one for Ariel (Relish GTP) and has place one on Anthony's Gen 4 now. I've read info off TN that suggests that Auto and TRD charger = potential tranny destruction, plus not much power gain because of the shifts anyway.

You're best off asking Adamn (ASG14) from Connecticut to see if he knows of anyone that he can vouch for to sell you a supercharger. At the end of the day, 3k ain't bad to get a charger, even if it is 2nd hand. You'll never find one for sale here in Australia.

^^ Agreed with Anthony above...

Dave is THE person to talk to. He installed his own on his Gen 4, one for Ariel (Relish GTP) and has place one on Anthony's Gen 4 now. I've read info off TN that suggests that Auto and TRD charger = potential tranny destruction, plus not much power gain because of the shifts anyway.

You're best off asking Adamn (ASG14) from Connecticut to see if he knows of anyone that he can vouch for to sell you a supercharger. At the end of the day, 3k ain't bad to get a charger, even if it is 2nd hand. You'll never find one for sale here in Australia.

Yeah 3K is damn good... considering custom systems are $5K+ often up $10K or more...

I've got the manual anyway so thats not an issue... :-D :-D

• 2 weeks later...

HAHA! And I read this as my friend is selling one for $2500, lol.

And BTW, this is my car, took the video today. SLIGHT downhill, not much.

4PSI

Custom intake

Headers/y-pipe

4-speed Auto

th_MVI_4097.jpg

Friends car at 7PSI, 5-speed manual, with engine JUST starting to go south.

th_MVI_0750.jpg

How does king manage to not just smoke up the tyres launching that high in the rev. Easing the clutch out at 3k rpm spins the wheels with my car and thats only part throttle. Full throttle just smokes it up completely lol

Edited by STYLSH

HAHA! And I read this as my friend is selling one for $2500, lol.

And BTW, this is my car, took the video today. SLIGHT downhill, not much.

4PSI

Custom intake

Headers/y-pipe

4-speed Auto

th_MVI_4097.jpg

Friends car at 7PSI, 5-speed manual, with engine JUST starting to go south.

th_MVI_0750.jpg

Nice that makes me want one even more now.. maybe next year when my wife starts full time work (she's just about finished her second degree at uni, so she'll be able to start full time next year... so we'll have a bit more cash flow then). I think my wife will actually let me get one... she was surprised when i told her how cheap they are...

BTW: that $2500 would be USD right? most of us are Aussies... (hence the 3K price...)

^ Yes, USD, sorry. They pop up for sale normally within every 3 months. The typical selling price is between usually within $2200-$3000, and seems to average around $2500USD. They WERE $3800USD when new.

Anthony, it;s called knowing how to drive. :-P haha. And he;s putting down anouth 50WHP since that video. ****, the Headers and y-pipe I installed last week I think got me 15hp!

LOL! Oh, Andrew, sent you back an im on MSN with some info.

And man, today is gonna be a LONG day. Working on my friend's '02 Solara (Camry Coupe) with a TRD Supercharger. Making a COMPLETE custom fuel system on it thats better for the high boost he's running.

question regarding the crank pulleys: theres no differences in the spec of the pulley between a 2005 1mz and mid-late 90's 1mz? i'm interested in it, just want to make sure its all good before going ahead as i know there are a few differences.

Looking up OEM Part numbers, ALL the 1MZ's in the US used the same crank pulley, EVEN the VVT-i ones.

Gabe, Australia never got the VVT-i 1MZ in the Camry.

Didn't the Gen 5s get it here? Or that just the 2AZFEs?

I wish!!! No its only the 4cyl Gen5s that have the VVTi...

Well looking like it's headed to Australia if all goes well now. :) Damn you Aussie's making me ship all this **** over to you!

I think Horatio can explain this the best:

post-14703-1254311051_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the final confirmation of payment details from Gabe before I swing out the hard earned. :yahoo:

Well looking like it's headed to Australia if all goes well now. :) Damn you Aussie's making me ship all this **** over to you!

I think Horatio can explain this the best:

post-14703-1254311051_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the final confirmation of payment details from Gabe before I swing out the hard earned. :yahoo:

Hey Andrew,

are you getting yourself a TRD S/C???

IF you are, then that's another FI car that comes to the meets lol :lol:

FI FTW!

Evo