Air Intake

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a quote for shipping of the TRD Cai from the suprastore and it was $146 ...ouch!

That is cheap! For an original TRD CAI? Group buy anyone?

I think thats just for the shipping, not the actual CAI.... bugga

yeah its just for shipping alone

the price of the cai on the site is $255, so add that on top and its not that cheap. The AEM is looking more attractive everyday....heh

what is the part number for the AEM CAI?
I'll back you up on that on Danz! :D

GO AEM!!!

Go grab the one for Matrix XRS, and yes everything u need is included. Make sure its for MATRIX XRS if u have sportivo. XR if u have 1zz-fe corolla.

Edited by Danz

what is the part number for the AEM CAI?
I'll back you up on that on Danz! :D

GO AEM!!!

Go grab the one for Matrix XRS, and yes everything u need is included. Make sure its for MATRIX XRS if u have sportivo. XR if u have 1zz-fe corolla.

Thanks mate, the guy on eBay quoted me $375, is that a fair price?

• 5 months later...

Hey fellas i am new onto the site and i saw that you guys are talking about CAI and after market air filters i was a bit of a tight ***** when i first bought my '03 rolla Levin i didnt want to spend heaps on mods i was scared about insurance and warranty but now i dont care but anyway more on topic i bought a TRD panel air filter i at first just kept it in the box and i had a little bit of a gain in power not much but it was noticable that there was more of a pull.

So after a few months i was cleaning the car and i opened the engine to wipe down the engine cover of any crudd and i stopped and thought how could i make this thing louder by opening the air filter box but still have the ait filter cover the intake so i dont get dirt into the engine block so i though for 5 minutes and came up with an idea of taking off the bottom of the air box and putting it in the boot (incase i get done by the cops and i have to put it back on they wont defect me to badly).

I then unscrewed the little cuff or latch that holds the top of the box facing down so that the box could be moved a round and i twisted it so that the mouth of the box faces the front of the engine i then flipped the Air Filer upside down into it so the flat side was facing out and the main part was in the box i then grabbed a tonne of cable ties and tied the box in so that it was firmly secure and cable tied the box so that it was forced to stay up and not flop down from the weight of the air box and filter.

after doing this i then tightened the clamp back so the box wouldnt come loose or fall of while driving and thought " hey that doesnt look to bad " my friend then pointed out that it may get some hot air from the battery but i then said that if its hot or cold it doesnt really matter right now the piping is restricting it to a pee shooting straw of intake and this will increase air intake by well i dont even know by how much % but a HECK OF ALOT.

i then took the car out for a test run to see the performance difference i straight away felt a difference in take off and felt i was being pulled back a lot more in 1st and 2nd gear and the noise WHOA DAMM the noise it was loud after 3400rpm the engine new system opened up and started to rumble most ppl say it sounds like a rex rumble i dont know what theyre on about but it was loud and seriously turned heads when accelerating the rumble is as loud up high in the rev range because VVTI is so loud that it over powers it well from what i can hear anyway but others have told me that it is loud up high as well

i have had the system like that ever since but i change it before getting it serviced i think the mechanics wont appreciate it that much it is a cheap way to get a loud sound and a power increase without paying $200-500 for a CAI well it will make u happy till u can afford an exhaust and CAI at least

Give me your comments on this system guys i want to know what u ppl thinkof it i have a friend here at work that is on this site i will find out his Nick on here when he comes in he has a red Levin with 17" white rims with silver border around the edge of the rim

Go YDOIT4! Thats a real novel way of doin it! much easier than the other DIY methods that i've thought of.

i'm going to try a varient on this that involves securing the filer to the top bit of the box but then leaving the bottom bit of the box there to catch the cold air (I've already done the stock intake redirection).

I'll have spacers holdin the 2 parts of the box apart to allow for the short ram benefits of increase throttle response and perhaps this perform better than my unshielded pod!

Wouldn't it be best to cut some round holes into the bottom half of the box and run some convoluted pipes directly from the front of the car into the holes ?

Also can I ask what happened to your fuel consumption after the mod ?

Good suggestion 1ZZ-FE,

but i dont really think that you have a lot of room to just put pipes all over the place and the battery would melt the pipes wouldnt it. I dont know i mean im not going to keep this system for to much longer im going to go all out and buy the TRD CAI it is pricy but i havent heard any bad comments on it yet.

My fuel consumption is not to bad i can get around 500 or 580kz to every tank of fuel i put in somewhere around that and thats including driving the car pretty hard in 1st and 2nd and 3rd almost all the time so yea its not bad.

I dont really look at fuel consumption personally :ph34r: i mean the way we all drive fuel doesnt really last to long if you are driving your car at high revs every day. :D