Interior Lights

Foss

I'm looking to change the colour of the lights in the bottom corners of my door panels.

Anybody know what sort of globe they are and whether a high brightness LED equivalent exists?

Cheers.

This will answer all your questions. The bulb is a T10 wedge for the doors/map and parkers. Brightness-wise you can get SMD leds with a number of lights, though I had trouble fitting in a 5 led SMD, I ended up having to take off the casing for the light. Not really sure what that casing is for anyway.. So if you want to keep the casing you may need to find one with less lights or perhaps the one I bought was too big, though they all seem to be about the same size.

i got mine @ ebay and since i got those LED from Supercheap/Autobarn as well...

Supercheap/Autobarn are rubbish and they flicker after 6 months of use...

SMD LED from Ebay still going strong after 1 year and they are much much brighter for the same money you get from the 2 stores...

Well it's all pretty much been said already, but as everyone (including myself) has recommended, those SMD LED's seem to be the most suitable alternative.

The eBay ones are starting to get better. Initially they had a fairly high failure rate, but now they seem to last a bit longer now. You can't really complain though when you can get them for much cheaper than Super Cheap/Autobarn etc.

My T10 5 SMDs fit fine with the plastic casing as well. They were purchased from Ebay and I love them!! Do the Vanity lights and the festoon at the same time and I assure that you will be happy with the result.

BTW dont waste your time at Supercheap or Autobarn. They are ***** quality IF they even stock them at all.

Cheers guys. Skimmed the FAQ the other week. Must have overlooked it.

Just got onto eBay and bought some blue ones for my doors and a festoon for the roof light.

First thing I tried to do my door lights was spraying the stock globes translucent blue. Anybody who's thinking of trying that approach - don't. It works for orange, yellow, even green, but blue just ends up looking like a blueish/greenish/aquaish color.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread coz I don't think its worth creating a new one.

Anybody whos put LEDs in their map lights (white ones especially), are they still functional as reading lights, or more just end up looking good but ultimately useless? I wanna put some white ones in but don't wanna lose the functionality.

Resurrecting this thread coz I don't think its worth creating a new one.

Anybody whos put LEDs in their map lights (white ones especially), are they still functional as reading lights, or more just end up looking good but ultimately useless? I wanna put some white ones in but don't wanna lose the functionality.

i found the single SMD led lights were a bit too focused at a point, so was not very effective as a reading light/finding lost coins light... i then used the panel type smd which has close to 20 small SMD ons it, simplyu using double sided tape to secure it into place.. this woprked out to be too bright, as it was very distracting when driving. in the end i have opted to use the tinted blue "parker" lights i got in the packet with my 4300k crystal vision globes... that worked out very well, still a nice whitish hue and good illumination..

good luck mate :)

Chris,

mate when i had my Sound system put in i was talking about doing a blue bulb swap in the doors to Colin from T.A.S and he seemed to think that it would be a simple mod and something he could get hold of quite easily, next weekend my car is booked in to have the sound system tweaked a bit and to have the perplex logo and back light installed so ill ask him more about it and see if he can do it and how much it'd be :)

Do you just mean the bulbs in the corners of the doors like I did?

post-13788-127073152523_thumb.jpg

(They don't look particularly blue there, but they are fairly blue at night in reality).

Its hardly worth parting with your money to pay Colin to do it. I'm was about to order some LEDs from Ebay, so I can get you a set of door ones while I'm at it if you want. It'll set you back $13 for the 4 if I order them with mine.

Removing them is easy as pie.

post-13788-127073179737_thumb.jpg

Stick a flat screwdriver between the top of the casing and the door trim, and pry it out. You can sorta see a couple of spaces towards either end of the casing where cou can pry it. Hard to see in the photos, but you'll (hopefully) know what I mean when you look at it.

post-13788-12707319679_thumb.jpg

Once it pops out, unplug it and pull off the back casing.'

post-13788-12707320409_thumb.jpg

Once thats apart you can just pull out the globe and stick the new one in, then put it all back together and just pop the whole assemble back into place.

Apologies for the woeful photos. My camera phone is useless and I don't own an actual camera.

Whats this logo and backlight you are getting done?

Edited by Paradigm

Yeah Cheers Chris thanks for that, & thanks for getting the L.E.D's for me too! And well it's just a little something Colin does for customers that spend a few $$ with him and on nice cars. It's simple but looks effective and pretty sweet! it's just a bit of perplex with a sticker of your choice on it, in this car Colin made a few designs up around the TRD logo and the Toyota Emblem with the extra bulls head horn, looks pretty trick he showed me one he did on a XR6Turbo looked great and so then it just gets mounted to the amp rack with a little L.E.D behind it to backlight it, in this case i went with blue to carry on the theme. So then when you open the boot to check out the system the first thing you see it this bright logo, maybe a bit of a **** but looks cool, I’ve seen it done a few times with Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Logo's.