5sfe spark plug boots covered with oil

Keisari

I recently noticed that the spark plug tubes on cylinders #1 and #4 have a bit of oil in them (especially #1, the bottom of the spark plug boot is completely wet). The engine is also exhibiting stuttering all over the rpm range under all open throttle conditions.

I thought it might be because the plugs are now quite old and the last person might not have torqued them down properly, or oil is leaking up from the spark plug tube. I'll try replacing the spark plugs and tightening down the tube nuts first, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to share their experience in removing the spark plug tubes on a 90-91 5sfe so I can check to see whether they're cracked/improperly sealed? As far as I can see the tubes are not sealed in with a gasket or grommet, but are instead threadlocked with a sealant. Because of this, I'm worried about cracking or warping the tubes/head if I try to remove them. Also, what kind of tool did you use?

Thanks in advance!

oil wont be leaking up from the cyl.. unless your rings are f*cked.

it will be either the seals at the top (under the nuts that hold the tappit cover on) are gone, or the metal plug tubes are not tight enough

i used a pair of stilsons or vice grips to take mine out...

Well, I took the valve cover nuts off... with my fingers. The last retard obviously couldn't operate a shifter. There was a pool of oil about 3cm deep in the #1 tube and about 1.5cm in #4. Replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and valve cover nut grommets, sealed it all up with some RTV compound and dielectric grease. SUCH a difference to the acceleration, before it felt like it was running on 3.5 cylinders. There was an almighty cloud of smoke to boot.

I didn't bother with the tubes this time around, but if the oil comes back I'll reseal those too. Thanks for the advice guys.

Well, I took the valve cover nuts off... with my fingers. The last retard obviously couldn't operate a shifter. There was a pool of oil about 3cm deep in the #1 tube and about 1.5cm in #4. Replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and valve cover nut grommets, sealed it all up with some RTV compound and dielectric grease. SUCH a difference to the acceleration, before it felt like it was running on 3.5 cylinders. There was an almighty cloud of smoke to boot.

I didn't bother with the tubes this time around, but if the oil comes back I'll reseal those too. Thanks for the advice guys.

It probably was ;) Really easy to smear some sealant on there, can't hurt anyway.

Actually I was wondering... the highest temp RTV compound I could find was something like 316C. Will that be enough to resist the temperatures coming off the cylinder? I also have some high-strength threadlocking compound, but that's only up to 150C.

• 3 months later...