Tyres ....again

Hey all.

I want to replace my tyres but keep my rims. Was wondering what my options are for replacing my tyres on my standard rims.

Question: Can 205/55/R16s be fitted to our stock rims ?(their appears to be much greater choice in that size).

Can those of you who have changed their tyres but kept their stock rims please let me know what you have gone with and give me some feedback on how good they are.

Thanks,

Gravitfreak.

shouldnt this be in the wheels tyres section my boy just in ?????

:P

yokies are my choice...love those rubbers....but its a personal thing and how much you can get them for ;) which is the deciding factor on all rubber

Hey all.

I want to replace my tyres but keep my rims. Was wondering what my options are for replacing my tyres on my standard rims.

Question: Can 205/55/R16s be fitted to our stock rims ?(their appears to be much greater choice in that size).

Can those of you who have changed their tyres but kept their stock rims please let me know what you have gone with and give me some feedback on how good they are.

Thanks,

Gravitfreak.

Freak,

205/55/16 are a touch too big.(and have a bigger sidewall)

205/50/16 are a touch too small.(lower profile :D :D :D )

You should try to keep the same rolling diameter as the Standard 195/55/16.

Checkout this tyre size convertor : Over Here !

As for brands I like Bridgestone Potenza GIII.

Thats what I will be getting.

I think the standard Turanza's are biased towards comfort and quiet, rather then grip.

Cheers

T.

Using Rolla02's calculator that he suggested...

Tire Size Comparison

Specification....Sidewall...Radius...Diameter..Circumference..Revs/km..Difference

195/55-16........107mm...310mm....621mm........1951mm.........513.........0.0%

205/50-16........102mm...306mm....611mm........1921mm.........521........-1.5%

205/55-16........113mm...316mm....632mm........1985mm.........504.........1.8%

205/40-17........ 82mm....298mm....596mm........1872mm.........534........-4.0%

205/45-17........ 92mm....308mm....616mm........1936mm.........516........-0.7%

215/40-17........ 86mm....302mm....604mm........1897mm.........527........-2.8%

215/45-17........ 97mm....313mm....625mm........1964mm.........509.........0.7%

Edited by Blue_Stivo

i know for sure 205/45r16 will fit onto stock rims  ;)

iv just been through this stage personally... B)

cheerio

wei wei

No question they will fit as they are the same width, but your speedo will read fast.

i.e. when it says you are travelling @ 100 km/h you are really travelling @ 95.2 km/h.

Then again that may not be a bad thing ! Less chance of speed camera snapping you !

But your odometer will be out as well by 4.8% and you will be revving higher to travel the same speed (use more fuel )

But your odometer will be out as well by 4.8% and you will be revving higher to travel the same speed (use more fuel )

Yeah, but your odo will read 4.8% less than actual mileage, therefore resale should be higher... :)

Edited by oz_viking

Yeah, but your odo will read 4.8% less than actual mileage, therefore resale should be higher... :)

Isn't it the other way round i.e your millage will read higher than your car has actually done.

Anyway, I want to keep the diameter of the wheel the same , just have more grip vie better rubber and or slightly wider tyres but don't want to change the rims (cause I like them).

Cheers.

Lo,

I'm running 205/55/16 from Dunlop. It's their SP7000 range, which apparently broke some land speed record somewhere.(not that I'm planning on doing 300+ in my Stivo)

Ride is slightly softer, seeing as the profile is a bit higher, and the handling of the car is off a bit from the standard...

The rolling distance/diameter changes, so expect your speedo to be lying to you at 100km/h.

Also expext some delayed take offs at the lights <_<

Apparently the spec for the stock vehicle allows for a maximum of 3% difference in diameter, up or down.

Hope this helps.

Lata

Hi Guys,

Was speaking to one of my well trusted mates regarding this issue the other day and we got to discussing the sportivo's next set of tyres.

Anyway i indicated i was thinking of going up a size to 205. What i heard next was an answer that no salesman has ever told me when i have gone tyre shopping (always good to cross check with friends that are in the know).

Basically our rims r 6" wide approx 152.4 mm wide.

The stock tyres are 195mm wide

so that means 195 - 152.4 = 42.6mm of rubber is litterally hanging off the sides of the actual rim. So about 21.3 mm either side of the rim.

Now if you are to go to 205 this would mean 205 - 152.4 = 52.6 mm is now hanging over the side about 26.3mm either side of the rim . And this actually is not the best for handling on a 6" wide rim because now what you have done is rather than the tyre being on a slight angle to the wheel like this picture below show in picture A it is at a larger angle as shown in picture B and the effect of this is the rim will wobble on that extra tyre you have now put underneath it and in fact hinder your handling.

Dont shoot the messenger this is just some advise a friend i trust has told me. He indicated you would not want to go larger than 50mm of a difference between the tyre size and rim size.

post-78-1116410244_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Was speaking to one of my well trusted mates regarding this issue the other day and we got to discussing the sportivo's next set of tyres.

Anyway i indicated i was thinking of going up a size to 205. What i heard next was an answer that no salesman has ever told me when i have gone tyre shopping (always good to cross check with friends that are in the know).

Basically our rims r 6" wide approx 152.4 mm wide.

The stock tyres are 195mm wide

6 inch wide rim may be at the lower range of whats recommended for a 205/50 tyre, but it's OK.

Most manufacturers have a recommended rim width range, say 6 inch to 7.5 inch.

If the manufacturer says it's OK it must be OK !

Oh wheel diameters and width are still measured/sold in inches for some strange reason !

Tyres only the diameter is in inches !

Cheers

T.

Edited by rolla02

the 205 tyre won't put your speedo and odometer out by significant amounts. it's still within legal limits. wat roll02 says that the 205 tyre can accomodate up to a 6" width wheel is true.

wat xoom says is also true. if u're thinking that the 205 tyre will help handling simply because of the wider rubber then prepared for more sidewall flexing.

on the other hand, 205/50r16 has a whole lot more range for tyres. esp performance tyres, which have softer, grippier compounds, as well as much stronger sidewalls, which may overcome that extra flexing. to realise the true potential of a performance 205/50r16 tyre, u really need to mount it on a much wider wheel so that the rubber gets stretched a bit more so it flexes less for more precise handling.

personally, i don't see anything too wrong about a 205/50r16 on a stock 6" wheel. some oem wheel and tyre package come in that size.

Edited by shaohaok

i prefer kumho tyres personally.... just managed to get 70,000km's out of a set on the front of my rolla... and if you talk to anyone that knows me, i love chirpin it up... they are great in the wet and wear wonderfully.... previously, my car had dunlops on it (when i bought the car) and after a month i had saved enough money to buy new tyres cos the banglops were **** in the wet...

anyhoo they are relatively cheap for my conquest too... $100 bucks a tyre for 195/60/r15.

:D

hope this helps

i have falken avenis st115. good for street take a little while to warm on the track but go pretty well with good wear. they feel a lot softer than my silverstone FTZ but you can tell their brake out point much easier

i have falken avenis st115. good for street take a little while to warm on the track but go pretty well with good wear. they feel a lot softer than my silverstone FTZ but you can tell their brake out point much easier

thats wat im bout to run too :D

should be nice to get sum traction finally :P