Blue dash illumination

Steven

Been exploring the Aurion's interior illumination setup lately, and it easily lends itself to a change of colour so I thought I'd give it a go. At the moment I've got the headunit, climate control, push-start button and dash cluster done.

a note on the dash cluster, I could just have easily changed the white parts to blue as well - however I'm quite fond of the standard white lit areas staying as they are, and keeping the blue parts more subtle so really I'm just replacing all the green/aqua.

I've taken plenty of pics of how things disassemble if people want to follow and give it a try - there's no reason why you can't use any color you want. All I've got left are the steering wheel controls (which use a gullwing type of SMD led which I sadly don't have any of), and sensor button (also gullwing), the transmission surround, and other bits and pieces.

post-13080-1263030485_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1263030491_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1263030569_thumb.jpg

Good stuff mate. I've considered so many times to change my entire dash cluster to make it more blue, but I kind of like it the way it is to much at the moment.

Definitely a nice subtle modification to change the mood.

More progress - finished up the gear surround. Decided I preferred white letters, with a subtle blue touch around the shifters base. Both use easily available T5 wedge led replacement bulbs, bout $2 each from jaycar, though I needed to disassemble the shifter assembly and make a few changes so it would light up evenly.

Plus it needed a good change and a bit of fixing, didn't realise everything had loosened up so much over time and now looked tired/worn - except for a few marks, it's now better than new!

Currently on holidays, next goal is the power window block. Then it will be the sensor switch below the steering wheel and the steering wheel controls themselves (Waiting on those tiny leds to arrive in the mail)

heck I might even go insane and finally wash the car :)

post-13080-1263537540_thumb.jpg

if you could post a "how to" guide for the power window block that would be awsome!
I will be interested in 'how to guide' as well please. :rolleyes:

Here's one to get you started. I was about to take mine apart to show the steps (cause I have nothing else to do), but I knew someone in the States would have done this already.

I would hope you know how to remove a door panel already because that's the only step this thing doesn't include:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=212%22

Also, on the topic of Toyota Nation... here is a master list of all the LED sizes and guides for their Gen 6 Camry. Yes the Camry has some slight differences, and yes it is all in reverse kinda, but provided you can take stuff apart, these guides are basically the same:

Master List of LEDs Bulb Sizes & DIY/Tutorials for Interior/Exterior Lights (Toyota Nation)

DJKOR's link is what I would recommend as well - that's where I've got most of my info from sofar. There are some parts I wasn't able to find there though, listed amongst them are the push-start button and to a lesser degree the dash cluster. Their are some guides to the dash clusters but our's tends to differ slightly from the american's. It's not hugely complicated but I've been taking plenty of pics of everything I do should people need a FAQ later.

Power window block will get finished sometime this morning.

Man, I kind of have the urge now to change out all my LED's.

The problem with me though is I tend to want to do things, then kind of get over it after a little bit of time if it doesn't happen immediately. These LED modifications are a good example. Right now I want to do it, but I don't have all the SMD LED's I need. This means I would have to order some. By the time they get here, I won't be bothered to do the job. My patience is pretty bad.

It's a shame we don't have much around in terms of electronics suppliers nearby. All we have is Jaycar and PRIME Electonics (used to be Economic Electronics back in the day), and they aren't all that extensive in terms of stock.

I remember before I started buying them in bulk, whenever I wanted an SMD led I would buy those flexible strips from Jaycar and desolder them off the strip! Even though I got pretty good at doing it you'd still overheat and kill the occasional one. Plus it was very expensive doing it this way.

I'm going back over that toyota nation thread, found some very nice subtle features I'd like to add.

-Edit-

Just finished the power window block, piece of *****. Also found an old photo of the blue conversion I did to my old VT commodore, posted up for ****s n giggles

post-13080-1263600271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven

Just finished the power window block, piece of *****. Also found an old photo of the blue conversion I did to my old VT commodore, posted up for ****s n giggles

Half the reason why I'm less in the mood to do mine is because I put my time into my sister's Mazda 3 and when it comes to my own car, I tend to get lazier.

For fun as well (it sure beats the red in my opinion... didn't take a photo of that though). Yeah there were a few LED's that I couldn't change at the time:

dsc05661j.th.jpg dsc05664.th.jpg

you'll thank for it one day :)

I see you've used a 5mm LED - does that foul on the switch? I used a 3mm as it was fairly close to the same size as the standard one and I didn't want any interference

you'll thank for it one day :)

I see you've used a 5mm LED - does that foul on the switch? I used a 3mm as it was fairly close to the same size as the standard one and I didn't want any interference

It doesn't get in the way of the switch, but I just learnt that it doesn't evenly illuminate the "AUTO". I have removed it again and am playing around with it.

5mm was the only one I had laying around.

yes I had trouble with the even illumination as well. Easiest solution is to tilt the LED over a bit, so it's not directly aimed at the "AUTO" lettering.

You can also see the spot on the board where an LED wasn't included, where in overseas models that was used to light up the child-proof switches. I think ours won't light up though even with an LED in there...

yes I had trouble with the even illumination as well. Easiest solution is to tilt the LED over a bit, so it's not directly aimed at the "AUTO" lettering.

You can also see the spot on the board where an LED wasn't included, where in overseas models that was used to light up the child-proof switches. I think ours won't light up though even with an LED in there...

Tilting the LED is not an option with the 5mm. You can obviously figure out why. As it is, the switch arm just clears it. Half of the issue is because I think there isn't enough space for the LED to spread its narrow beam.

I like to do things my way though and instead of using another LED and putting this one to waste, here is my way. Note to others... use a 3mm LED, or a short 5mm. This works, but that's only because I find it acceptable for my own use:

dsc05668v.jpg

dsc05671m.jpg

I figured, why replace when you can upgrade :lol:

Actually, it's only because I didn't have the same size SMD LED's around, and I'm all about the 'DIY NOW'. Ignore the crappy photos. Had to take the first one that close because it was that dim:

dsc05672y.jpg

dsc05673ui.jpg

dsc05677t.jpg

I had considered using my larger SMD leds to do the steering wheel controls straight away instead of waiting for the smaller (and therefore harder to solder) leds to arrive in the mail. How do you find the brightness whilst driving at night? I like how dim they are from factory as they're very subtle.

Otherwise looking very nice. Going to use white all round?

Edited by Steven

Yeah, I'm going for white all round because I've already committed to white footwell lights and like the extra "cleanliness" the white LED's give to the interior. AS for the brightness, at first it wasn't bright... until my eyes adjusted to the night. Then it became annoying.

I then searched my cupboard for supplies of some SMD LED's and I was then in luck. I found my old Nokia 8250 that I put some white LED's in... perfect. I did a test run and fitted it into the "DISP" side since that only needed one LED. There was a slightish improvement, but unfortunately these LED's were quite intense as well.

So I put the old LED back in and hit the drawing board. Long story short, I did a few tricks here and there... and problem solved. It's brighter than the green LED's that were there originally which is what I was wanting, but it's just the right intensity that in the dark, the dash lights overcome the brightness of it to the point that you don't notice them.

Final result:

dsc05679a.jpg

excellent. I hope the blue leds that arrive aren't too bright - I've noticed a trend where the standard bulbs (For the same bulb type) are more dim than the replacements.

I like the white, and am using it in combination with the blue. I don't like blue footwell or door lighting etc, it's fancy but not very practical and doesn't allow you to see very well. IMO blue/white creates a very classy look and not as bland as 100% blue would be.

These results are great :D I'm definitely going to have a thorough read of that TN thread when I get the time. Damn you all and these brilliant things to do, here is yet another potential project for my Camry :P

the smaller type SMD leds finally arrived today and I've wasted no time installing them. These were also far brighter than the factory LEDs - solution was to glue some dark tinted film over the leds to tone them down. Still brighter than factory, but not enough to be distracting just neat.

So that's the steering wheel controls, and the reverse sensor buttons done!

EDIT

Once it get's dark outside I'll take a better pic of everything as a whole to show the overall job.

post-13080-1264142593_thumb.jpg

post-13080-1264142600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven