Blue dash illumination

Steven

Certainly changes the atmosphere inside.

Here's a task for you now. Change the red filter in front of the vacuum fluorescent clock for a blue filter.

Are you talking about the clock on top of the hazard light switch? It only appears slightly red because of the crappy camera shot - in reality it's close to the same "white" color of the dash cluster LCD

No I have a much larger project I'm going to start next week hopefully

Edited by Steven

Are you talking about the clock on top of the hazard light switch? It only appears slightly red because of the crappy camera shot - in reality it's close to the same "white" color of the dash cluster LCD

Yes I'm referring to that clock, and yes it has a red* filter on it. If you look closely with some bright light you will see it. It just happens that green light emitted by the VFD changes to a white colour when it passes through that red filter.

* Well it's more of a purple/red colour, but for simplicity sake, I'm calling it red.

Just remember to change the instrument panel lights back when it comes time for a roadworthy inspection or to sell - blue unfortunately isn't what the ADR's (Aus. Design Rules) allow for many of these ... including brake warning light, indicators, high beam, etc.

Just remember to change the instrument panel lights back when it comes time for a roadworthy inspection or to sell - blue unfortunately isn't what the ADR's (Aus. Design Rules) allow for many of these ... including brake warning light, indicators, high beam, etc.

That can't be right for some things ie High beam - that's blue from stock. Where'd you get this information?

Furthermore I can't see you're average mechanic knowing everything that might not meet ADR's, especially not for something as commonplace as a roadworthy inspection

Yes I'm referring to that clock, and yes it has a red* filter on it. If you look closely with some bright light you will see it. It just happens that green light emitted by the VFD changes to a white colour when it passes through that red filter.

* Well it's more of a purple/red colour, but for simplicity sake, I'm calling it red.

I just had a look at that clock more closely today, replacing the red filter with a blue one unfortunately won't remove enough green from the VFD - A solution I've found though is to add a light blue filter in addition to the "red" filter - this removes that little bit of leftover red and provides a very clean white color (and doesn't dim it much either).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steven. To help out the American forum, could you advise whether for the navigation unit, it was just a case of removing the green caps on the LED's or whether you had to completely change them over to make it blue?

Hey Steven. To help out the American forum, could you advise whether for the navigation unit, it was just a case of removing the green caps on the LED's or whether you had to completely change them over to make it blue?

Yep they're just like the base models in that regards, only green caps over blue leds.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys

was wondering if you could help me out in advice on how to change, what i need to change the bulbs and any special things i need to do like soldering? for the lights for the window, the speedo, the climate control buttons including the small little ones and the audio panel.

cheers

was wondering if you could help me out in advice on how to change, what i need to change the bulbs and any special things i need to do like soldering? for the lights for the window, the speedo, the climate control buttons including the small little ones and the audio panel.

All those lights specified (except of the window "AUTO' light) are surface mount LED's. I haven't got a count of exactly how many there, and I'm not sure if Steven has all of the specifics either. All I can say is that your best bet is to pull it all apart and work on it from there. Basically a majority of your speedo/climate control/some of the head unit will be this type of LED (PLCC2) and then others used would be of this variety (1206 SMD).

As for pulling each component apart, if you can't figure out how to do that one yourself, then I don't even think changing the LED's is going to be something you should attempt. As for how to access each component, instead of providing instructions for every single thing, you are best looking through the service manuals and working from there:

Gen 6 Service Manuals

To give you an idea of what is involved for the speedo alone, have a look at the following photo. It's different to the Optitron gauge used in the Aurion, but similar idea.

instrumentpanel.jpg

All the dash LEDs are the PLCC2 type Daryl referenced above. The disassembly isn't too hard, just time consuming as great care is required for many components.

Unfortunately I lost ALL my pictures just recently when a virus killed my computer, so I can't give any guides. Compared to some of the clusters I've worked on, the Optitron dash is very well designed and logical in its construction so I'd imagine anyone with a bit of hobby level electrical know-how and confidence can work on it.

Sorry guys i know it's abit off but does anyone know how to open the steering wheel audio control so i can change lights.im not sure if its clipped in or whatever but i cant seem to take it out

You have to remove the airbag firstly. Instructions for this are in the following manual from page RS-349 (PDF page 355) onwards:

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0By_PdB6dCTdWNDM0YTYzZDktNjg2Zi00Njc0LWIwNDEtNTkzYzNiZDBmMzY3&hl=en

this is very nice... :toast: i prefer to leave the instrument cluster as it is though. looks nice enough hehe :P

i had some trouble with the auto button for the power windows too with the colour not spreading out due to the fact that the housing just clears it. I had a 3mm in there and changed to a 5mm so not much space as u probably guessed... another solution would be to sand the LED around so there is more light dispersion but really i cannot be bothered to take it apart again. the "snapping" sound of the buttons when u take it off really scares me :(

See Steven. Even after all these months, you are still getting compliments. Gotta love thread revivals.

And to Morequick: Dammit man. I've got a mental image in my head now. The things I would love to do to Shay Laren.

See Steven. Even after all these months, you are still getting compliments. Gotta love thread revivals.

And to Morequick: Dammit man. I've got a mental image in my head now. The things I would love to do to Shay Laren.

A bit of an Ego massage every now and then ain't bad.

BRB Shay's calling