International Toyota recalls.

boxerboy

You younger members may not be farmiliar with the old saying, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT". B)

Just because I'm young, doesn't mean I'm not aware of that common saying.

Fact of life is... regardless of whether something works well or not, someone is always going to try and "improve" it. Otherwise you'd never be moving forward.

Biggest problem here is, it hasn't been an improvement. Like good Movies more often than not, the sequel isn't as good as the original !!

Guys how do you explain the Prius problem & the solution then?

Toyota had in the past DENIED that the Pruis have any problems in its braking system, beating around the bush when questioned.

Then.... Toyota factory had seemingly in secret implemented a fix for 2010-built Prius. Prius rolled out since Jan 2010 would have an upgraded software.

Finally on Feb 5, Toyota finally admitted there was a problem in the Prius and offered the same production fix..

Looking at the events chronologically, I would say Toyota KNEW of the problem and this could be as early as last yr at least? For it to implement a fix in the production line in time for January 2010.

It seems to be limited to the US which always makes me wonder for a moment. Anyways, I've had my say in speculation over here:

Seems that Toyota Engineering stuffed up!

I personally think the occurrence wasn't really that high and was caused by people putting all-weather mats on top of the standard mat and/or not using the clips on the standard mats. Then it got blown out of proportion by people getting into accidents and using a stuck accelerator as an excuse since it was an ideal blame. Then the media got a hold of it and this is what you get. That's my theory anyways as crazy as it all sounds.

On that topic of things, then you've got that VVT-i oil line issue? There were all these cases in the US with regards to it, and this led to them replacing them here. But the question exists of how many cases have you heard if this problem occurring outside of the US. I guess the US supplies of parts must be of a lower quality somehow.

Either way, I personally think the accelerator isn't the problem, but I'm not going to say any more. I just like to think a bit differently.

JUST ANNOUNCED ON TONIGHTS LATE NEWS, RE TOYOTA STUFF UPS ... ALL TOYOTA PRIUS SOLD SINCE JULY LAST YEAR WORLDWIDE SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE ROAD, THATS A TOYOTA ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL PRIUS OWNERS, THEY WILL THEN BE IN CONTACT WITH OWNERS RE FIXING THE BRAKING SYSTEM.

They at this stage don't know how long it will take to correct the problem, but for safety owners have been advised to take their vehicles off the road. NOW THAT IS A STUFF UP IN QUALITY CONTROL ON A GRAND SCALE !!!

The Aurion is not a Prius. No need to bring panic and anger into the Aurion thread. Our brakes are fine.

More then fine. My cousin drives a 2004 Holden sedan, when he took my Aurion for a test drive and hit the brakes for the first time his reaction was priceless. The wow factor kicked in there :P

Awesome brakes on the Aurions.

The Aurion is not a Prius. No need to bring panic and anger into the Aurion thread. Our brakes are fine.

It's not a matter of Panic, iot's about Toyota's slip in quality control, this morning WORLDWIDE AGAIN, Looks like a grounding of Corollas with a steering fault. Yes I like Toyotas, we wouldn't own an Auirion and Prius if we didn't, but I don't stick my head in the sand and say hey, they can do no wrong. You spend enough time here trying to help those who find faults with their cars, you know that Aurions have a heap of faults too, that relate to quality control, squeaking dash boards, complaints about headlights etc. etc. etc.

It's not a matter of Panic, iot's about Toyota's slip in quality control, this morning WORLDWIDE AGAIN, Looks like a grounding of Corollas with a steering fault. Yes I like Toyotas, we wouldn't own an Auirion and Prius if we didn't, but I don't stick my head in the sand and say hey, they can do no wrong. You spend enough time here trying to help those who find faults with their cars, you know that Aurions have a heap of faults too, that relate to quality control, squeaking dash boards, complaints about headlights etc. etc. etc.

Unfortunately it's just a matter of external supplier outsourcing in lots of cases, and yes like any manufacturer - Toyota can still have issues. They have quality control mechanisms in place, but short of driving every car off the production line for 20,000km and driving on hundreds of varying road conditions - these sorts of issues can never be easily detected no matter how good the quality control is. I recall reading in the paper that the braking issue with the Prius refers to "inconsistent braking feel when traveling over rough roads" anyway. Unless Toyota went testing the cars over and over again looking for this exact issue, it's not going to be easy to detect.

Compared to a majority of other manufacturers out there, there have been very few major critical safety flaws with Toyota cars in general. Consider the number of issues that are known on the Aurion, such as VVT-I oil line leaks (extremely rare in Australia, even non-existent), "knocking" intermediary steering spline shaft, squeaking and rattling dash - all these are not safety-related issues and pose no risk to the driver or anyone else. The braking issue in the Prius is potentially an issue, but how many accidents have actually been attributed to the issue? Without hard statistics, it can't really be proven that it's an extensive risk at all. At least there is a proactive response to the *potential* issue, albeit with the media storm slamming Toyota for it. Toyota should be praised for at least acknowledging the issue despite how significantly it could potentially tarnish their image. How often have you seen such a media storm over the issues with the Holden fuel lines blowing apart and setting engine bays on fire, or as another user above mentioned - the complete failure of the entire steering mechanism in the captiva? Unfortunately in this situation, Toyota is simply a victim of their own success.

I own an Aurion, and after driving it for over two years on a daily basis, I am quite confident in saying that it is the best car I have ever driven. It may not have as many fancy features as some other brands out there, may not be rear wheel drive or have a "sports muffler" option - but I wouldn't have it any other way. It gets me from point A to point B consistently, safely and reliably all the time while still having great handling and performance - even with a family onboard!

The Aurion is not a Prius.

Toyota are even having trouble with their lawn mower division ....

Nice.

Thats gotta be a setup.

Also, who uses an electric mower anyway? I see huge potential for mowing the power lead. I get annoyed by the hassle of the lead for my whipper-snipper, let alone a mower!