Waht muffler

kanjo

I have read in a lot of posts about you guys replacing the muffler.

Has a manufacture constructed one aimed at the TIVO or is it a bit of a guess at what works best. Also if i go down this path should i do the CAI first or after, :huh: or no difference. :huh::huh:

if you have time check out some of the celica websites.

The TRD exhaust has been engineered for the celica (2ZZ) engine, and offers decent power increses for such a simple mod. It is probably the one I will invest in soon enough, i think a few people here have it too!

acctually noone has it and it costs over $600.

i think someone baught one but it didnt fit or sumthing which i dont understand cos its a muffler, pretty easy to install in which ever way u wnat.

neways ill post a site comparing alot of diff mufflers when i get home form work.

Xforce muffler installed today.

sounds good without silencer..a bit loud though....

sounds nice with silencer..but rattles..i think my silencer is a little out of shape or something...i'll have to bend it and so it doesn't hit the sides of my exhaust.

i'll post pics up soon =)

Still trying to get the TRD unit once we can work out what the hell the part no is. Based on my experimentation with mandrel type exhausts (2 1/4 inches before I get accussed of putting a massive pipe on it). I would forget it I lost power (ask ILIVE46) Straight through mufflers do not work on the Sportivo. I tried also with a muffler that was not straight through...and what did I do straight back to original (I might as well ripped up several hundreds of dollars). Mind you a slight tweak is on its way or not so slight from Japan for both ILIVE46 and Myself as for revealing what it is well...... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: hehehehe

Hi Guys,

I installed a x-force cannonball muffler ONLY. After chatting with the exhaust guy he couldnt really see any reason to change the entire exhaust and he basically indicated it could be a waste of money. As from what he could see is toyota may have possibly designed a top notch system suited to the engine. In terms of changing it if i wanted more power he said unless you've got the bucks to change it dyno it n c if i had a gain and keep doing this until i do get one the chances are slim that i actually will c a gain. So changing the entire system looks like a big NO NO unless a proven design is available like a TRD one or something which can gurantee an increase in power. As for the muffler. Yes its louder :D and at the moment im hooked :D it has marginal performance increase up high nad it does wonders to hide all those bloody rattling noises <_< anyway im loving it and setting off plenty of car alarms in the process. Just my 2cents worth

Oh forgot to mention if i bump into any of you in the M2 tunnel you'll hear me coming 100% :D im the blue rolla that will fly past you sounding like the F1 CAR :D :D :D gotta love that tunnel

without the silencer installed....lift doesn't kick as hard..and low end seems even more lacking...

with the silencer on...yep! feels more responsive and feels like it has more go too.

btw..it's an XForce straight through thunderball muffler.

these engines definately need back pressure...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm the one that got the TRD muffler and tried to fit it to our Sportivo...

It apears that it don't quite fit... after talking to the guys in the workshop (over the phone) it appears as though the spare tyre well gets in the way. The guy reckoned that the TRD muffler is an east/west config, that runs sort of diagonally across the area behind the rear axle an out the passenger side...

I dont know how or why the OZ spec model would be different ....

BigPhil

The muffler is different as the Japs do not carry a full spare they have the smaller

80KM limit wheel. Why east west Japs only know. I hope to have an answer on a TRD muffler (correct one) soon I hope. May require some minor work to fit though but nothing an exhaust shop can fix.

You guys have been making big efforts trying to get information about the TRD exhaust, But does anyone have any stats on the performance gain?

I would hate to be doing all this running around only to find it wont give any performance gains

Why Nickich based on Dyno testing that lts of home work has been done on investigating this the TRD unit seems to be the best. No other exhaust manufacturer would have tested as much as TRD would have done. I am not going to waste my time with others I already have wasted enough time and money trying something else that did not work. Lucio has done the same. I know there are other pipes on the market but the Sportivo muffler we have is of an unusual design (internals) TRD have used this design but improved it.

Spot on Peeks. The Sportivo muffler is fairly good as it is, i think it's designed for optimum performance as far as street legality is required in terms of noise etc, as well as backpressure. The only muffler i would consider would be a TRD unit or a Veilside, or Rod Millen. The cheap ones you find at Autobarn and exhaust places drone too much, sure it sounds good AT FIRST, then you just want peace and quiet.