ZRE exhaust results

I did run the car for 3 days while i waited to be able to be booked in to re-fit the torpedo. The sound was crazy loud. Almost comparable to my straight thru 3" system on my ol twin turb 1JZ Cressida in volume! Cabin noise was unbearable... O2 and ECU compensated after a while, and no error light was shown as i think i have herd other people have had to reset their ECU after exhaust mods.

I seriously would have gone deaf or at least tone deaf within a month or so!! :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah mate, I can completely understand regarding the noise level, I didn't need to drive it for 3 days to get convinced that it's better stay there as I heard it while on the hoist and told muffler shop my wife would kill me if I take the ZRE back like that LOL :)

5 KW for all the fuss... whats the point <_<

I started a similar type of NA mods on my other car and ended-up with an additional 90KW at the wheels when the rest of the mods were all done, so you gotta start somewhere and every KW counts from there on mate ;)

Think of it as an appetizer for bigger mods :)

You're obviously a "glass is half empty" kinda guy

We all know what the ZRE is all about but i dont see a problem in giving it quality sound. Beats going to Aldi and buying a $10 cannon

We all know what the ZRE is all about but i dont see a problem in giving it quality sound. Beats going to Aldi and buying a $10 cannon

Hmm... not really, I sold my turbo Skyline cos I wanted a cheaper, slowish daily. I am not convinced that a Corolla is a great car for fast mods. There are much better equipped Toyotas available (Supras, Celicas, Mr2s, Chasers, Soarers etc) that will respond better to mods, especially if they are turbo.

I know many of you like to make a slow bubble rolla go quicker but I much prefer doing visual mods on such type of a car.

Then again thats my opinion.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want my ZRE to go super fast, especially when it is being used as the daily driver by my wife. One write-off insurance claim is enough headache for me to handle LOL :)

Hmm... not really, I sold my turbo Skyline cos I wanted a cheaper, slowish daily. I am not convinced that a Corolla is a great car for fast mods. There are much better equipped Toyotas available (Supras, Celicas, Mr2s, Chasers, Soarers etc) that will respond better to mods, especially if they are turbo.

I know many of you like to make a slow bubble rolla go quicker but I much prefer doing visual mods on such type of a car.

Thats fair enough,unfortunately for us Toyota stopped good performing and good looking cars a long time ago...Like i said i know what its built for and suits me fine,but yes it has to look and sound the goods... Fast? NO, quick? can be, kind of ;)

Oh more trolling from Modena again... he seems to infiltrate many of my posts..

Listen, I owned and build the first 1jz powered cressida in Australia, Im well aware of power when it comes to mods. What do you expect from a NA 1.8l ZRE?? Like many others have stated, all these little mods add up to more mid range and a more enjoyable daily. Im over driving balls out torque beasts... maybe one day on the track again, but nothing wrong with some groundwork on the ZRE..

Who said the Corolla was a machine that mods well? We are all just trying to extract a little more from our dailies, you know, the ones that have been released in the last two years as opposed to 10 -15 years ago... Ive said it before, dont bother posting if you dont have anything constructive to say.

Oh more trolling from Modena again... he seems to infiltrate many of my posts..

Listen, I owned and build the first 1jz powered cressida in Australia, Im well aware of power when it comes to mods. What do you expect from a NA 1.8l ZRE?? Like many others have stated, all these little mods add up to more mid range and a more enjoyable daily. Im over driving balls out torque beasts... maybe one day on the track again, but nothing wrong with some groundwork on the ZRE..

Who said the Corolla was a machine that mods well? We are all just trying to extract a little more from our dailies, you know, the ones that have been released in the last two years as opposed to 10 -15 years ago... Ive said it before, dont bother posting if you dont have anything constructive to say.

Modena seems to be a bit of a HATER... I agree with you dutchie, DONT BOTHER POSTING IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY...

Thats fair enough,unfortunately for us Toyota stopped good performing and good looking cars a long time ago...Like i said i know what its built for and suits me fine,but yes it has to look and sound the goods... Fast? NO, quick? can be, kind of ;)

Very true... I hear Toyota are about to launch a bunch of sporty cars with turbos and good looks. I wonder how much they will cost though, probably over 50 K.

On a sidenote, if Aurion was rear wheel drive then that car would be awesome indeed. Power and front wheel drive = ****ty handling.

Edited by Modena

Power and front wheel drive = ****ty handling.

i disagree ....... & yes i do understand that u r entitled to ur opinion but it does need to be based on facts ...... simply put if u have crappy handling bcuz u have increased the power of ur car its bcuz u havent thought about the right handling solution for the setup ...... ive seen plenty of awd & rwd cars that couldnt hand for s**t bcuz they were powered up dramatically and no thought was put into the fact that the cars might need to take a corner ...... u just have to find the setup that works with ur power output ...... ive seen many high powered fwd's that are able to handle quiet well ........

i disagree ....... & yes i do understand that u r entitled to ur opinion but it does need to be based on facts ...... simply put if u have crappy handling bcuz u have increased the power of ur car its bcuz u havent thought about the right handling solution for the setup ...... ive seen plenty of awd & rwd cars that couldnt hand for s**t bcuz they were powered up dramatically and no thought was put into the fact that the cars might need to take a corner ...... u just have to find the setup that works with ur power output ...... ive seen many high powered fwd's that are able to handle quiet well ........

im waiting till the day when Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, even Nissan release a front wheel super car... :)

PS I think you have a rolla thats turboed? How has your engine coped with the extra power etc?

Edited by Modena

im waiting till the day when Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, even Nissan release a front wheel super car... :)

PS I think you have a rolla thats turboed? How has your engine coped with the extra power etc?

Highly unlikely, those manufacturers only have one thing in mind... Power>Handling (with exceptions to Porsches)

Funny, I thought that FF cars had better handling over FR (Caeteris paribus). **FF = better handling/cornering vs FR = greater power/top speed**

It's not about the size of ur ding dong that counts, its how you use it... It is even more true for cars. You could have all the horse power in the world, but if u don't consider the handling aspect, then it is all for nothing....

I would assume that Xoom's stivo would be a powerhouse on corners ~ torque steer ftw!

• 2 weeks later...
I did run the car for 3 days while i waited to be able to be booked in to re-fit the torpedo. The sound was crazy loud. Almost comparable to my straight thru 3" system on my ol twin turb 1JZ Cressida in volume! Cabin noise was unbearable... O2 and ECU compensated after a while, and no error light was shown as i think i have herd other people have had to reset their ECU after exhaust mods.

I seriously would have gone deaf or at least tone deaf within a month or so!! :lol:

Hey dutchie. How did the whole process go in refitting the stock resonator? All good?

Waiting for Xoom's reply....this should be interesting :lol:

At the end of the day you just got to be happy with it...

I prefer my Corolla over the forester XT, although the forester is the more lazy car...which is kinda why I've slowed down the collection of parts on the corolla

If i think about the time just before i bought my 08' zre.. and what was going through my head. There was a plethora of cars of could of got instead of my corolla; at the time i wanted an S14 200SX Series 2. Money wasnt really an issue. I had just got off my Probationary licence to Full and could of driven a range of powerful vehicles if i wanted but chose not to. Plus i know myself, and a turbo car would be a quick way to losing my licence, getting fines, getting my car impounded or killing myself. Losing my licence wouldnt be feasible for work.

I must admit in the beginning, for first few months wen i got the zre i thought it may have been a bad choice but i have to say i've been very happy with it. Its an economical cruiser. Its not meant for power, but who says we cant make it powerful? Got a big enough wallet? You can do anything you want.

From my zre's humble beginnings to now, it has been a massive transformation from stock and i'm quite happy with wat i've done, though there still so much more to go. So im glad i got a 1.8ltr N/A corolla. Damn proud of it.

Plus if i didnt get my zre, i wouldnt have met all of you guys.. with a bunch of us in melb hanging out almost on a weekly basis for washes, cruises and late night snacking.

My two cents.

Johnnie

Same situation as Johnny above. Was going to get either an '99/'00 STi or an Evo7 but in the end chose not to.

Handling is more important than power, click below & keep reading. He's in the Silvia/WRX times..

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=373432

Just another point.. :)

Peter.

Btw, where were you last catchup Johnny? :P

Edited by dwee.