New Interesting Mods

VF-X

Tried searchin the forum and no results. So I ma start this thread.

I read in Camry-asia forum and some1 raised a topic of an interesting mod, which i think is very creative. His idea was to create a 'welcome light' using the sensor that's when an owner reaches a near certain-distance towards the car, the lights turned on.

His idea of 'welcome light' involves connecting the fog lights to this sensor cable. I'm thinkin of putting LEDs under the car, bright enough and not too many, just enough for us to enjoy being welcomed by her.

Is this impossible or theoretically possible but "bla bla bla"?

well to ensure the car knows who the owner is, some kind of emitter would need to be present on the owners person - otherwise the cars light would be coming on for everybody which would promptly flatten the battery and ruin the affect completely.

In that respect, it would be best kept for those with the smart start ignition system, as the car already possess that function to a degree as well. That being once you're within a distance of the car, the interior illumination will come on. Modifying this though so exterior lights come out as well might be difficult as you couldn't just hook to come out with the interior lights otherwise again it would be on at inappropriate times. Some sort of logic processing would be needed, and even then that would depend on several factors.

Sounds very nice in theory - if someone has managed it before, I'd like to know how.

Exactly what Steven has said. You would need an active RFID transponder... or a high power (ie. not exactly wise) passive RFID transponder system to ensure this works for only the owner. TO make a system yourself with individual components, you would be looking at something like $400+ depending on how you want it configured. Not exactly expensive, but the Smart Entry guys already get this feature.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. The guy in the forum who raised this mod already has a smart entry system. So do the ZR6s, Presaras, and TRD SL, not sure about the prodigy and the touring. He currently is also wondering how, just thought I might raise the issue here as well, seeing this is a pretty cool MOD.

Talkin about the cars who already has a smart entry, I know the guy couldn't just hook it into the interior lights, so wonderin where should he connect it to so the 'Welcome lights' works ONLY on welcoming the owner and not on other times. And maybe during the time on opening doors. I know these 2 are totally on different factors.. But seeing this as a possibility is pretty exciting.

would it be simpler to just hook it up so the lights came on when you unlocked the car with the remote?

or maybe a "clap" activated system! :P

Edited by mattmcd1

You would want to look closely at the smart start system that activates the illumination when you approach, and see if there's any unique combination of interior lighting or other devices/switches that would limit the lighting to only when you approach.

By this I mean, the following values would always be present when you approach a vehicle with the key, in a smart start car (when the lighting comes on)

Interior lighting - On

Door buttons - Off (or closed)

Engine - Off

Dash lighting - Off

Reading lights - OFF

By looking at it from a logic point, you could design a simple circuit to activate the exterior lights when the above values are like that - however you can also see the above could occur if you were sitting in the drivers seat with the doors closed, and turned on the interior lights. So you'd need to find a true/false circumstance which were true ONLY for when you approached the vehicle and the interior illumination lights for you.

In reality though, the interior lighting in the smart start system only comes on when you're pretty much right next to the car, not when you're approaching from a short to medium distance - you'd question if it'd even be worth the time and effort.

For a car without Smart Entry, there are ways in which you can have it work exactly how you want. The only issue here is patience and money. I could draw up plans on how to get this all working, but for the time and effort involved with no positive gain for myself (profit), it then becomes one of those situations where I will just say that it can be done if you were willing.

For the Aurion with Smart Entry however, it has a way to get around the activation when your inside the car by utilising different key detection zones with proximity sensors placed in different areas of the car. It can tell whether you are inside the car or outside. It also deactivates that welcome light once you have turned the car on, which you can easily do as well if you create an aftermarket setup. Sure it may possibly be glitchy at times, but it's just one of those things you can't perfectly avoid.

Changing it over so that it activates the fog lights (or any other accessory light) instead of activating the interior light would be relatively simple. You just need to add in a few more components and not run it directly off the existing wiring for the Smart Entry welcome light circuit. You also need to find the correct wires to tap into, which if you aren't that knowledgeable with it, can be a little difficult.

On a similar note:

I have always thought of using something like this to make a beep noise and/or turn on the vanity lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=120502129058

But I don't know if that will draw even more attention from assholes getting to close.

I have always thought of using something like this to make a beep noise and/or turn on the vanity lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=120502129058

But I don't know if that will draw even more attention from assholes getting to close.

I remember some time ago they had ones like that, but instead of an alarm beep as a warning, it would say things like "STAND AWAY FROM THE CAR" in a firm voice. Those ones were always funny to set off.

Off-topic: Looks like the swear filter is not up to scratch.

• 1 month later...

What u guys think of this? This looks unbelievably HOT! Thou seems not legal.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/236876858/LED_handle.html

It also functions as an indicators...

Yeah, I've seen those before. Too much 'bling' for my liking since you already have the mirror indicators. That's my own opinion though.

Yea.. Besides it being not legal, too much bling. What I'm after is just the glowing LEDs part when opening the door and photoshoots.. Those look would kill anytime.

I've notice on a few of the Singapore/Thai Aurions that they have a carbon fibre look dash kit fitted does anyone know how to get hold of these?

Show some pics and you'll find answers

I've notice on a few of the Singapore/Thai Aurions that they have a carbon fibre look dash kit fitted does anyone know how to get hold of these?

Show some pics and you'll find answers

Around the gear shift kinda looks like carbon finish

post-15837-127224729624_thumb.jpg

very hard to tell with that picture. As for the carbon overlay, I'm not sure of any kits, but there are plenty of types of Carbon fibre lookalike film that you can apply yourself. See the "interior trim paint" thread for more information on this.