changing steering wheel

i have the chance to swap an ascent steering wheel with a sportivo wheel.

does anyone know how to do this? i have found a couple of security (torx?) screws but not sure if there is an order to loosen them and also how to handle the air bag.

both steering wheels are still in the car. rollamods any ideas?

Hey mate...

I'd be checking with your local RTA (or whatever they call it there) as here in QLD it is illegal to alter/change a steering wheel that has an Air Bag... :(

Cheers

Aaron

Go to toyota cause if the air bag goes off while your changing it kiss some part of your body(probably your face!!) or even your life goodbye :(

Hey mate...

I'd be checking with your local RTA (or whatever they call it there) as here in QLD it is illegal to alter/change a steering wheel that has an Air Bag... :(

Cheers

Aaron

really?

i thought it was just a case of if the car came with airbags from the factory, then the new steering wheel has to have airbags and of a certain size tolerance not too far from the stock steering wheel

To answer you question Marcus

It's in the workshop manual that had the link posted... look in the steering column section it has a detailed step by step guide to removal and replacement of the steering wheel.

Cheers

Dylan

Hey mate...

Cheers

Aaron

I've attached a paragraph from the QLD Transport modifications brochure:

Its a bit vague, but I think you can replace an airbag wheel with another airbag wheel, but if your model car had versions without an airbag wheel, then you can ditch the airbag.

That's in QLD, anyway, and whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to personal opinion.

is the ascent steering wheel like the levin wheel?

if so i would be very p!ssed that you didnt offer it to me first as I asked one of these from you LAST YEAR!!!!!!

calm down, the ascent steering wheel is nothing like the levin ones.

u can't always win ;)

if so i would be very p!ssed that you didnt offer it to me first as I asked one of these from you LAST YEAR!!!!!!

they are different. the one from last year was an MR-S which has the buttons to change gears and that guy left the country and i could not get a hold of him.

Edited by kcorro

i've been looking for levin/rav4 style wheel for a while as they alot beter than the stivo ones :(

There was a guy selling them on ebay a few months back MAP81 posted something about it i think??? he was asking $300 - $400

I WANT ONE!!!

i've been looking for levin/rav4 style wheel for a while as they alot beter than the stivo ones :(

There was a guy selling them on ebay a few months back  MAP81 posted something about it i think??? he was asking $300 - $400

I WANT ONE!!!

man, just get a TRD one, then :P

otherwise ppl might mistake your car for a levin :P:P

i've only seen the TRD online

and it looks similar just the centre cap is TRD

Anyone know how much Brucey sells the TRD Leather wheels for ???????

It is on the wagons, one of the reasons we decided to take the Conquest instead.

For those that do have the plastic 4 spoke wheel, there is a leather rim available from Burg Design where you retain your original airbag and just change the rim itself:

Yet another item on Buddha's wishlist ... :)

From what I understand from a discussion with the Toyota Parts dude about 2 years ago, the Rav wheel and the wheel I had on my AE112R Levin wheel were the same. I understand about the airbag config being different, but the actual basis of the wheel being the same.

I know of a dude with an AE93 GTi that wanted the RAV wheel and also got the same response.

After having an AE112R and a ZZE123 Sportivo, I can tell you that the only difference is the trim, and I would prefer the Levin Wheel anyday....

My wife use to have a AE112R Conquest and the whole wheel was a physically diferently constructed wheel...if that makes sense, and after driving Conquest and Ascents of the AE122 range, there appear to be the same as the 112 wheel for the Conquest & Levin...

i've only seen the TRD online

and it looks similar just the centre cap is TRD

Anyone know how much Brucey sells the TRD Leather wheels for ???????

if he has it in stock it would be good but if it is to order i hear trd is increasing prices across the board 30%

i know of 1 brand new wheel here in melb and it was for around $900 which is a good price if you busted your existing bag

It is on the wagons, one of the reasons we decided to take the Conquest instead.

For those that do have the plastic 4 spoke wheel, there is a leather rim available from Burg Design where you retain your original airbag and just change the rim itself:

The only problem with that one buddha is that the centre peice remains LARGE!!!!!

the levin/trd one has a smaller mid section haence why it is so sexy ;)

The only problem with that one buddha is that the centre peice remains LARGE!!!!!

the levin/trd one has a smaller mid section haence why it is so sexy ;)

Agreed, and if I such a wheel was available for less $$$, I would surely look at them more seriously!

Does anyone have a link to some pics of those wheels?