Fitting ducktail spoiler

-DAvo

Thought this might be useful for those of us who are going to be getting the rear ducktail spoiler in the Aurion GB...

(did a search on "fitting body kit" and "double+sided+tape+spoiler" but didnt come up with anything useful..)

how/what would be the best way of fitting the spoiler on? I'm assuming that the good ol double sided tape may not be permanent enough for a exterior body kit part?

the process i have in mind was something like

1. degrease the area

2. apply a "glue" of some sort onto the udnerside of the spoiler

3. attach onto boot lid.

anyone here have some input on this? or is this something that a panel beater is better of doing?

cheers

dave

Thought this might be useful for those of us who are going to be getting the rear ducktail spoiler in the Aurion GB...

(did a search on "fitting body kit" and "double+sided+tape+spoiler" but didnt come up with anything useful..)

how/what would be the best way of fitting the spoiler on? I'm assuming that the good ol double sided tape may not be permanent enough for a exterior body kit part?

1. degrease the area

3. attach onto boot lid.

anyone here have some input on this? or is this something that a panel beater is better of doing?

cheers

dave

Mine is just fixed with double-sided tape by the panel beater since they did the colour code, they just stick it on for me... the ducktail also can be bolted on which i think Ari (Aur3on) did..

what is this spoiler you speak of? a picture might come in handy!

i was planning to double sided tape it on.

As for painting the spoiler, what do you guys think a good price would be?

would it be possible to buy the paint and do it your self?

Cheers

Edited by stedyedy

got pics of yours bro? wen did you get yours?

1. degrease the area

3. attach onto boot lid.

cheers

dave

Mine is just fixed with double-sided tape by the panel beater since they did the colour code, they just stick it on for me... the ducktail also can be bolted on which i think Ari (Aur3on) did..

i was planning to double sided tape it on.

As for painting the spoiler, what do you guys think a good price would be?

would it be possible to buy the paint and do it your self?

Cheers

not sure about the price of getting someone pro to do it, but i did some spraying on the weekend, and came out really well! if you go to bunnings, i think they just came out with a new paint for plastics, it worked a treat! but make sure if you do paint it yourself, you get a paint for plastics, cause most of the ones at bunnings are for wood/metals. if you're looking for a good plastics paint, then places like supercheap apparantly sell em too...

remove the spoiler

weld the holes

paint the boot lid

paint the new spoiler

attach the new spoiler

i would expect the average of all that to be around the $450-$500 mark...

to attach it, i'd suggest one of two things... 1) use bolts or 2) use sikaflex/silicon

hey stedy, this is the paint i was talking about, from Bunnings, they actually have quite a range there, and since this is a high gloss, you won't really need to do a clear coat if you don't want to ;)

dsc01555.gif

• 2 months later...

just a bit of a revival here,

has anyone with the ducktail here noticed that the double sided tape dettaches itself after a while exposed to rain? mine has, even thou i have a big bead of sikaflex underneath running along the centre of the spoiler... is this a cuase for concern? im thinking of sealing up the edges with clear silicone sealant...

has anyone with the ducktail here noticed that the double sided tape dettaches itself after a while exposed to rain? mine has, even thou i have a big bead of sikaflex underneath running along the centre of the spoiler... is this a cuase for concern? im thinking of sealing up the edges with clear silicone sealant...

Just as I thought.. Hahah. I wonder if the existing holes of sportivo spoiler can be used to bolt on the ducktail.

Just as I thought.. Hahah. I wonder if the existing holes of sportivo spoiler can be used to bolt on the ducktail.

im not worried about it coming off, as its still solid on the boot, just dont like the idea of water getting into that area.. will silicone it up and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a slim chance, but do you guys reckon the ducktail gonna cover the existing holes from the spoiler?

I know this is a slim chance, but do you guys reckon the ducktail gonna cover the existing holes from the spoiler?

No 1 has any idea? :(

wonder who has ducktail fitted to the car, and how does it look like?

Also how much to paint a ducktail and fitted?

Shouldn't cost more than 150, coz fitting it is simply puttin it on top of ur boot with double sided tape on it, unless you wanna drill it. Look around the forum, there has been pictures of non-aussie Aurions with ducktails on em.

sorry vick, cant help you with the clearing of the sportivo holes.. but using sikaflex and some silicone sealant around the edges of the spoiler along with the double sided tape seem to give a pretty solid hold...

BlueBird - heres a photo for you... colour coding can be done from $100.00 here in perth..

4624549794_7c0c9789aa_b.jpg

sorry vick, cant help you with the clearing of the sportivo holes.. but using sikaflex and some silicone sealant around the edges of the spoiler along with the double sided tape seem to give a pretty solid hold...

BlueBird - heres a photo for you... colour coding can be done from $100.00 here in perth..

thanks. I searched the forum and most pple here got the duck tail from Thai ... theirs is camry ... does it fit exactly the Aussie aurion - I believe it shd be, right.

Do u guys just use double sided tape ... sturdy enough? No other glue ... ?

thanks. I searched the forum and most pple here got the duck tail from Thai ... theirs is camry ... does it fit exactly the Aussie aurion - I believe it shd be, right.

Do u guys just use double sided tape ... sturdy enough? No other glue ... ?

Mine is from RStyleracing in Thailand - fits perfectly

Double sided tape and sikaflex is probably the safest option for securing it - that's what the panel shop did for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

im not worried about it coming off, as its still solid on the boot, just dont like the idea of water getting into that area.. will silicone it up and see how it goes.

sooo just to make sure yeah... im installing my lip spoiler soon and i really dont want it flying off while driving on a freeway LOL

so sikaflex should do the job? what about something like liquid nails??

sooo just to make sure yeah... im installing my lip spoiler soon and i really dont want it flying off while driving on a freeway LOL

Mine is double sided taped with few self tapper screws and now signs of it coming off but in saying that there is few variant duck spoiler which range in quality for fitment.

my eyelids are also double sided taped and no signs of them falling off - I also fixed Stylusions ones after he had problems with them comming off.

key thing clean the surface and use a good quality double sided tape and don't be shy with it :-)

AUR30N

Mine is double sided taped with few self tapper screws and now signs of it coming off but in saying that there is few variant duck spoiler which range in quality for fitment.

my eyelids are also double sided taped and no signs of them falling off - I also fixed Stylusions ones after he had problems with them comming off.

key thing clean the surface and use a good quality double sided tape and don't be shy with it :-)

AUR30N

lol yeah i did it today. went all out on the spoiler with the sikaflex, no screws or anything :S

i really hope that is enough to keep the spoiler on the car! but apparantly they use sikaflex to literally assemble buses LOL

will let ppl know if going all out on sikaflex results in the spoiler coming off or not :)

I'm interested in getting this ducktail for my car. Pity I missed out on the group buy a while ago. Does anyone know where I can get one locally in Victoria? The only one being sold near my area is the touring wing, which doesn't suit what I want for the Aurion