Loud exhaust noise police notice

I have a CES exhaust system with headers + Hi-flow cat for the past 4 years in my Sportivo and last week I received a notice from the police to have the exhaust checked for noise levels and it had to be below 90db. I took it to one of the recommended exhaust places to have it checked and it failed with a reading of 94db at 4500 RPMs. The said that in order to pass the test and keep my car on the road I had to change the Muffler. I asked if by doing this I would lose performance and they said no and quoted me $290.

After 4 years of enjoying the sound of this system I am now at the point that I would not mid if the exhaust sound was low however I do not want to lose performance. Is this the way to do it or is there something else I can do?

Thanks.

CES do not do a high flow cat for their systems. Plus to correctly test a Sportivo for legal noise emissions the car must be tested at about 5500rpm not 4500rpm. It is supposed to be at 75% of the engine's rev range or something like that.

I'd be getting it tested somewhere with creditability first before making changes. Plus test is to be conducted with the noise meter held from memory 3 metres from the rear of the car at an angle of of roughly 45 degrees to the rear of the car or something like that. You must also do it out in the open and not near walls or you will get higher readings as the noise will reverberate off them.

I Contacted CES today and they said their system is rated at 89db and gave me a few options of what I could do. 1. Remove the air intake as this makes the exhaust louder taking it over 90db. 2 put the stock muffler back on for the test. The problem is I don't have the stock muffler anymore. As for taking the car to a reputable tester you can only take it to the places provided in the notice.

Any one with a stock muffler I could buy?

you could make a plate, put it between the exhaust flanges, and drill a few holes through it. will be well under for your test.

just another idea for you.

pretty cheap, easy, and dont need to buy/replace anything. but doesnt save you from it happening again though!

Edited by hAmZ

CES do not do a high flow cat for their systems. Plus to correctly test a Sportivo for legal noise emissions the car must be tested at about 5500rpm not 4500rpm. It is supposed to be at 75% of the engine's rev range or something like that.

I'd be getting it tested somewhere with creditability first before making changes. Plus test is to be conducted with the noise meter held from memory 3 metres from the rear of the car at an angle of of roughly 45 degrees to the rear of the car or something like that. You must also do it out in the open and not near walls or you will get higher readings as the noise will reverberate off them.

It's actually a third of redline, So lets say 6k RPM is max, they'd ask you to rev to 2k...

and it's also 500mm away from the rear of the exhaust.

i had the very same problem, i have a Remus exhaust. i removed the K&n set up and put the stock back on but it was still way over cause they were making me rev it so high.

i had to put the stock back on. but it was still over 90db. it was a pain.

The ADR test procedures can be found at the following link for those who were wondering:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/674F5519FDE2D3E7CA257169000691D6/$file/ADR+28.01+FRLI+Mar+06.pdf

Also a bit more info here that differs a bit from ADR28.01:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/noise.aspx

cliffs:

3. Procedure for Stationary Vehicles

3.1 Requirements for tests on stationary vehicles.

3.1.1 Tests on stationary vehicles (exhaust noise tests) should ideally be carried out

consecutively with the tests on the same vehicle in motion.

3.1.2 The measurements shall be made at an open site where the ambient and wind noise levels

are at least 10 dB(A) below the noise level being measured. The site may take the form of

an open space where a rectangle with sides no closer than 3 m from the extremities of the

vehicle can be described. The test site surface should be practically level, consisting of

concrete, asphalt or similar material and not covered with powdery snow, tall grass, loose

soil, ashes or the like.

3.1.4 Whilst testing is in progress no person other than any occupants of the vehicle shall be

within 1 m of the microphone in use. No person or object other than the person conducting the test and an observer or the objects necessary for the performance of the test shall be within 3m of the microphone in use.

3.1.5 Before the measurements are begun, the engine shall be brought to its normal operating

conditions as regards: temperatures, tuning, fuel, sparking plugs, carburettor(s), etc. as

appropriate.

3.2 Microphone position.

3.2.1 The microphone shall be directed towards the orifice of the exhaust outlet and shall be

supported by a tripod or similar device not providing excessive acoustic reflection.

3.2.2 The nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall be substantially parallel

to the test site surface.

3.2.3 The height of the microphone above the test site surface shall be equal to that of the orifice

of the exhaust outlet + 25 mm but shall not be less than 200 mm above the test site

surface.

3.2.4 The distance of the microphone from the orifice of the exhaust outlet shall be:

3.2.4.1 in the case of a Goods Vehicle or Omnibus 1050 mm + 50 mm,

3.2.4.2 in the case of any other vehicle 525 mm +25 mm.

3.2.5 For vehicles fitted with one exhaust outlet which is at a height above the test site surface

of less than 1500 mm, the nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall

make an angle of 45 degrees + 10 degrees with the principal direction of the gas flow from

the exhaust outlet.

3.2.5.1 In selecting this microphone position the microphone shall be placed so that the

greatest possible distance is achieved between it and the vehicle.

3.2.6 For vehicles fitted with one exhaust outlet which is at a height above the test site surface

of at least 1500 mm, the nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall

make an angle of 90 degrees + 10 degrees with the longitudinal centreline of the vehicle.

3.2.6.1 In selecting this microphone position the microphone shall be placed so that the

3.2.7 For vehicles fitted with two or more exhaust outlets spaced less than 500 mm apart and

connected to a single silencer only one microphone position shall be used. That position

shall be selected in accordance with the procedure described in the preceding paragraphs

in respect of an exhaust outlet which results in the microphone being at the greatest

possible distance from the vehicle.

3.2.8 For vehicles fitted with two or more exhaust outlets connected to separate silencers or

spaced more than 500 mm apart, each exhaust outlet shall be treated separately as if it was

the only one.

3.3 Vehicle operation and noise measurement.

3.3.1 The vehicle shall be stationary with the transmission in neutral or, in the case of a vehicle

with automatic transmission, with the gear selector in the park position if such a position

is provided.

3.3.2 In the case of Goods Vehicles and Omnibuses powered by a Diesel Engine the engine

shall be operated in accordance with the following procedure.

3.3.2.1 With the engine at idling speed the accelerator pedal of the vehicle shall be

depressed as rapidly as possible and kept fully depressed until the speed of the engine is

substantially stable at maximum (or governed) speed. The accelerator pedal shall then be

permitted to return to its original position as rapidly as possible and left in that position

until the engine has returned to idling speed.

3.3.2.2 A single noise level measurement shall be made for each microphone position in

use by noting the maximum noise level indicated during this procedure.

3.3.3 In the case of all other vehicles the engine shall be operated in accordance with the

following procedure.

3.3.3.1 The engine shall be brought to 3/4 ESMP and stabilised at that speed.

3.3.3.2 A single noise level measurement shall then be made.

3.3.4 The specified procedure shall be repeated until four consecutive readings having a range

less than or equal to 1dB(A) are obtained for each microphone position used.

Edited by CHA54

Cool.

Government = Day Light Robbers....

And to think we pay more than enough taxes for Pollies to p!@ss f@rt around in Parliament <_<

What a blardy waste of fresh air they are .....

I got EPA'd with my Sportivo and the orange car too...

Standard exhausts on both, orange one passed, Sportivo didn't... Put it on the hoist, showed the system was completely standard, no engine mods either... They were forced to pass it :)

The ADR test procedures can be found at the following link for those who were wondering:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/674F5519FDE2D3E7CA257169000691D6/$file/ADR+28.01+FRLI+Mar+06.pdf

cliffs:

3.1.1 Tests on stationary vehicles (exhaust noise tests) should ideally be carried out

3.1.2 The measurements shall be made at an open site where the ambient and wind noise levels

are at least 10 dB(A) below the noise level being measured. The site may take the form of

an open space where a rectangle with sides no closer than 3 m from the extremities of the

vehicle can be described. The test site surface should be practically level, consisting of

concrete, asphalt or similar material and not covered with powdery snow, tall grass, loose

soil, ashes or the like.

3.1.4 Whilst testing is in progress no person other than any occupants of the vehicle shall be

within 1 m of the microphone in use. No person or object other than the person conducting the test and an observer or the objects necessary for the performance of the test shall be within 3m of the microphone in use.

3.1.5 Before the measurements are begun, the engine shall be brought to its normal operating

conditions as regards: temperatures, tuning, fuel, sparking plugs, carburettor(s), etc. as

appropriate.

3.2 Microphone position.

3.2.1 The microphone shall be directed towards the orifice of the exhaust outlet and shall be

supported by a tripod or similar device not providing excessive acoustic reflection.

3.2.2 The nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall be substantially parallel

3.2.3 The height of the microphone above the test site surface shall be equal to that of the orifice

of the exhaust outlet + 25 mm but shall not be less than 200 mm above the test site

surface.

3.2.4 The distance of the microphone from the orifice of the exhaust outlet shall be:

3.2.4.1 in the case of a ‘Goods Vehicle’ or ‘Omnibus’ 1050 mm + 50 mm,

3.2.5 For vehicles fitted with one exhaust outlet which is at a height above the test site surface

of less than 1500 mm, the nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall

make an angle of 45 degrees + 10 degrees with the principal direction of the gas flow from

the exhaust outlet.

3.2.5.1 In selecting this microphone position the microphone shall be placed so that the

3.2.6 For vehicles fitted with one exhaust outlet which is at a height above the test site surface

of at least 1500 mm, the nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall

make an angle of 90 degrees + 10 degrees with the longitudinal centreline of the vehicle.

3.2.6.1 In selecting this microphone position the microphone shall be placed so that the

3.2.7 For vehicles fitted with two or more exhaust outlets spaced less than 500 mm apart and

connected to a single silencer only one microphone position shall be used. That position

shall be selected in accordance with the procedure described in the preceding paragraphs

in respect of an exhaust outlet which results in the microphone being at the greatest

3.2.8 For vehicles fitted with two or more exhaust outlets connected to separate silencers or

spaced more than 500 mm apart, each exhaust outlet shall be treated separately as if it was

the only one.

3.3.1 The vehicle shall be stationary with the transmission in neutral or, in the case of a vehicle

with automatic transmission, with the gear selector in the “park” position if such a position

is provided.

3.3.2 In the case of Goods Vehicles and Omnibuses powered by a ‘Diesel Engine’ the engine

3.3.2.1 With the engine at idling speed the accelerator pedal of the vehicle shall be

depressed as rapidly as possible and kept fully depressed until the speed of the engine is

substantially stable at maximum (or governed) speed. The accelerator pedal shall then be

permitted to return to its original position as rapidly as possible and left in that position

3.3.2.2 A single noise level measurement shall be made for each microphone position in

3.3.3 In the case of all other vehicles the engine shall be operated in accordance with the

following procedure.

3.3.3.1 The engine shall be brought to 3/4 ‘ESMP’ and stabilised at that speed.

3.3.4 The specified procedure shall be repeated until four consecutive readings having a range

Cheers, but is that Australia wide or Just Queensland?

Think the rules differ in NSW...

Standard exhausts on both, orange one passed, Sportivo didn't... Put it on the hoist, showed the system was completely standard, no engine mods either... They were forced to pass it :)

Good, Sounds like you know your laws, I've heard of people that have done the DB check with stock cars, failed and they didn't pass it for them, Just cause they didn't know the rules...

Silencer? My old celica was 91 or 92db. System was 2inch Xforce catback with 2.5inch tip. the guy who sold it to me gave me a silencer for it. I never put it on though

Nice! I was considering changing most of my exhaust system, got the extractors ready to put in, Was thinking about using a 100CPSI cat, 2.5" all the way through, with an Xforce hot dog, and a Verex adjustable muffler...

I'm not sure if it'll be legal or not... Hoping it will though

Nice! I was considering changing most of my exhaust system, got the extractors ready to put in, Was thinking about using a 100CPSI cat, 2.5" all the way through, with an Xforce hot dog, and a Verex adjustable muffler...

Varex is illegal I think.

Varex is illegal I think.

That it is, but the newer Corolla's have dump pipes, at first glance, it appears close to stock as you'd know from owning one. :P

Edited by Squall0011

cliffs:

soil, ashes or the like.

appropriate.

3.2 Microphone position.

surface.

3.2.4.1 in the case of a ‘Goods Vehicle’ or ‘Omnibus’ 1050 mm + 50 mm,

the exhaust outlet.

the only one.

with automatic transmission, with the gear selector in the “park” position if such a position

is provided.

3.3.2 In the case of Goods Vehicles and Omnibuses powered by a ‘Diesel Engine’ the engine

following procedure.

3.3.3.1 The engine shall be brought to 3/4 ‘ESMP’ and stabilised at that speed.

What you need to do is hold it just off lift under 6k. and if you wanted to get technical about it there are many ways to "interpret" the rules......

• 2 weeks later...

Good, Sounds like you know your laws, I've heard of people that have done the DB check with stock cars, failed and they didn't pass it for them, Just cause they didn't know the rules...

Well if the car is standard it means it's passed compliance with those figures and there is nothing the EPA can do about it... If they failed it I would've just disregarded the fine and taken them to court with all the documents on the car from Toyota, kinda helps when you work for the company :)