Full Tank Question?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on BP Ultimate 98 premium for the last 5fills. Filled it to the limit on the last fill other day. 200km and only 2bars used. Says got 350km left. i reckon i can get close to 600 if i grandma drive it.

hey johnny i got fuel light today, i was on 585 kms hehe... i reckon i got 10L inside still so thats another 100 kms i reckon... :D

i hate you. im hoping 550 till light comes on this week. plus watevers left inside tank.. mite get close.. hrmmmmmm

Johnnie, if you start driving as much as me and everywhere like me, you'll get 600+ a tank easy.

I got light yday, was on 540kms; computer said I had 20kms left. Filled up only 43L. :P

Peter.

Johnnie, if you start driving as much as me and everywhere like me, you'll get 600+ a tank easy.

I got light yday, was on 540kms; computer said I had 20kms left. Filled up only 43L. :P

Peter.

I get 500 before my light goes on.

hey johnny i got fuel light today, i was on 585 kms hehe... i reckon i got 10L inside still so thats another 100 kms i reckon... :D

i hate you. im hoping 550 till light comes on this week. plus watevers left inside tank.. mite get close.. hrmmmmmm

yeah but remember i fill it to like brim full... pump auto shuts off three times before i stop refuelling. u stop on first auto shut off :P

after going to eat kebab 620ks... might not push it anymore... not good for fuel pump if its below 1/4 let alone close to empty, lol

also sportivo tank may be abit bigger than the zres?

I find the 2zz great on fuel. I average 650-700kms a tank. I give it a squirt here and there too. Once hit 730 while looking for a servo :D

nice :clap: yeh the 2zz is gr8 on fuel..

was averaging about 650kms but with the addition of a cold air feed it got bumped up to 650-700 :D

WTF MAN? thats insane fuel efficiency for the sportivo, u must drive on freeway like 95%-99% of the time, drive out of driveway then on freeway, go home off freeway, into house lol

i'm hit 700 once on the freeway from melbourne to sydney... i reckon it would have been abit more since i averaged 6.3L/100km pure freeway driving :clap:

I find the 2zz great on fuel. I average 650-700kms a tank. I give it a squirt here and there too. Once hit 730 while looking for a servo :D

was averaging about 650kms but with the addition of a cold air feed it got bumped up to 650-700 :D

WTF MAN? thats insane fuel efficiency for the sportivo, u must drive on freeway like 95%-99% of the time, drive out of driveway then on freeway, go home off freeway, into house lol

i'm hit 700 once on the freeway from melbourne to sydney... i reckon it would have been abit more since i averaged 6.3L/100km pure freeway driving :clap:

haha you have almost exactly described my weekday routine at night (colder air gets better fuel consumption perhaps?). On the weekend however, when i do most of the kms, is just normal driving in local/freeway/city areas. :D

Edited by hAmZ

Phew though I wasn't the only one, On the Ascent, I made it from Melbourne (West Side) all the way to Orange in NSW, with 1 FULL tank of petrol, mind you I will NEVER EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE try it again, I remember about... 70 Maybe 100KM out from Orange my light went on, so I did everything I could to conserve fuel, wind windows up, turn air con off, turn radio off, turn highbeam off, bloody hell, I swear the reserve fuel tank is quite big IMO, but I swear, my car must've hated me for life after that...

- About 750km to orange...

AVG didn't even think to check it --"

Mind you, I was mostly sitting on 120KM the entireway,

• 1 month later...

Computers says I'm doing an average of 8.3L/100kms (since reset installing CAI), estimates around 540kms-ish when I jump in!

Before CAI, was doing 7.3L/100kms, around 600-650kms per week. (yes, I drive a fair bit :lol: )

Peter.

exact same figures peter. sigh @ cai

I get about 650 ~ 700kms out of my ZRE hatch in winter. Summer ****s it all up. This is running 98 RON. (BP or Caltex)

FYI, I just did my 30,000km service and I requested a fuel injection treatment ($99 from toyota) and it made it even better. So far i had 750km from full to empty.

My trip meter, now says 438 on a tank that's beyond full, because like I always do, I fill it till the fuel hit's the fuel filler hole, I swear my car computer is weird.

I get about 650 ~ 700kms out of my ZRE

FYI, I just did my 30,000km service and I requested a fuel injection treatment ($99 from toyota) and it made it even better. So far i had 750km from full to empty.

damn man. i must be driving too aggressively or something. <_<

OK, now I know none of you are going to believe this but I regularly get over 700km out of my late 2001 Manual ZZE122s tank but last month I was shocked to hit just over 790km ... my most ever! There are probably a few reasons for this including:

- It's a Corolla :)

- I purposely drive like a granny all the time (had too many tickets in my youth)

- I coast down selected hills when it's safe

- I only ever use BP 98 octane (& guilty for still supporting them)

- I fill up at the same pump at the same servo as much as possible as it puts the car on a slight tilt (front lower than back)

- I fill up to the brim and spend many minutes refilling & refilling until it's as full as I can make it (wife hates that ;))

- I keep my tyre pressure between 33 & 35

- I use Michelin X1s (expensive & nothing flash but really decent tyres)

- I know that I can keep driving for approx. 150kms after the fuel light comes on ;)

- I know that I'm really pushing it and one day you'll probably drive past me when I run out good & proper :P

Most of my driving is in the city but also do city highway stuff so it's not as though I only drive on the highway. Surprisingly the car hasn't been serviced for over 35,000km and has been on a big road trip from Brisbane to Tassie & back in that time too.

I've got friends with similar size diesel cars who boast about their 800-900km ranges and they just cannot believe that our boring old petrol Corolla can hit nearly 800kms ... but they don't know that I'm probably squeezing in another 10L of fuel ;)

This is one of the main reasons we decided against a Subaru Impreza RS or a Suzuki SX4 and defaulted back to buying another Corolla.

Nothing beats the fuel economy of a Corolla !

SteveAndBelle I get similar figures to you, you are not alone. I regularly get 750 kms from my 2004 levin and once hit 5.4 l/100km average (1000km/tank) on a trip to sydney. I measure my fuel consumption the only proper way by brimming the tank to the same point. I have continental ecocontact tyres at around 38 psi.

SteveAndBelle I get similar figures to you, you are not alone. I regularly get 750 kms from my 2004 levin and once hit 5.4 l/100km average (1000km/tank) on a trip to sydney. I measure my fuel consumption the only proper way by brimming the tank to the same point. I have continental ecocontact tyres at around 38 psi.

Great work Kahle81. Great to hear someone else drives like a granny ;)

Seriously though, how can anyone justify the extra initial extra expense and ongoing (& rising) cost of buying & fuelling a diesel car with stats like that? Only 6 months ago I was convinced to go for a diesel until I started investigating further. There's still rumours that Subaru will release their Impreza with diesel as an option here but it's been in the pipeline for so long I got bored of waiting. As per usual, Europe sees all or most models of Toyota & Subaru in diesel and even our Kiwi friends over the Tasman get the diesel Corolla so it still baffles me as to why we can't get them also but with fuel economy as we're seeing I suppose there really isn't any need. Zero soot problems when they get 'over-the-hill' too :)

I'd love to do a fuel economy challenge here in Oz like the guys did in Top Gear (probably one of their most interesting & worthwhile challenges in my opinion). Say Brisbane to Sydney in a Corolla without refuelling. Anyone keen ? Kinda kidding (but kinda not too ;)) Hmmm, maybe get backing from Toyota and turn it into a charity event ... hmmmm. Food for thought.

I'd love to do a fuel economy challenge here in Oz like the guys did in Top Gear (probably one of their most interesting & worthwhile challenges in my opinion). Say Brisbane to Sydney in a Corolla without refuelling. Anyone keen ? Kinda kidding (but kinda not too ;)) Hmmm, maybe get backing from Toyota and turn it into a charity event ... hmmmm. Food for thought.

Not quite Brisbane to Sydney, but I managed to get Ballina to Newcastle in just on 40L when I came back from the Gold Coast earlier this year - that was with 2 people in the front, 2 front seats in the rear seat and the boot full of luggage and souvenirs, and hardly at a "fuel-economy-challenge" pace too.

SteveAndBelle, it's not good to run the tank to empty (you probably know already, explained heaps of time before). I always try to fill up before the low-fuel light goes on. Always on 600+kms or if not close to 600kms when I refill, and after 3 clicks it's always max 45L. So technically speaking (lol), I would still have another 10L (of fun) in her..Hehe :whistling:

I get about 650 ~ 700kms out of my ZRE hatch in winter. Summer ****s it all up. This is running 98 RON. (BP or Caltex)

Big Pete, what exactly do they do in a fuel injection treatment? Thanks.

Young Pete. :P

SteveAndBelle, it's not good to run the tank to empty (you probably know already, explained heaps of time before). I always try to fill up before the low-fuel light goes on. Always on 600+kms or if not close to 600kms when I refill, and after 3 clicks it's always max 45L. So technically speaking (lol), I would still have another 10L (of fun) in her..Hehe :whistling:

+2. i always fill her up if i get to 1/4 tank (except in a blue moon) as the fuel pump works harder and gg for the fuel pump = $$$$$$

have a jerry can at home filled with fuel just in case i need it :)

I reached 800km in a mix of small suburban and major arterial roads in Sydney in the latest Corolla. That's with 91 and running with about 3L left (filled up 52). I think the nerves were going on overdrive in the last high 700 mark. Anywhere in the 700's is easy but getting that last bit to get into the 8's is a challenge.

I'm like you iVaz,

drive a 2002 levin, fill her up until she spits. Think she holds around 35-40 liters. (always fill up at 1/4 tank with BP Ultimate since new)

But i've always only gotten an average of 450-500km's off a tank... i thought this was standard...blink.gif

and now... after 108,000k's i think fuel consumption has gotten worst... check the speedo today, travelled 200k's and its just above half tank...WTF!!!! i normally see 300k's at half tank..

i don't know what's wrong. I have got 17's on but that wouldn't affect the consumption that much i thought.

Might try the fuel injection clean or anything else Toyota recommend at the 110,000 service.

pretty guttered that i'm hearing all these HIGH figures of k's when mine is only nearly averaging half of what is available...sad.gif

please help.gif

alien8

and now... after 108,000k's i think fuel consumption has gotten worst... check the speedo today, travelled 200k's and its just above half tank...WTF!!!! i normally see 300k's at half tank..

Wow, either you're driving it hard or something's wrong with your engine but I normally hit the 500km mark bang on the half-way mark. Unfortunately we all know half isn't actually 'half' but yeah you should be getting much better economy than that.

Few things though ... is it a manual, are you using 95/98 octane fuel and are you really trying to drive it like a granny ??