Toyota Synthetic Engine oils ???

ZR's coming up to it's first service and I'd like to start getting either synthetic or semi-synthetic engine oils into it.

Do Toyota offer a 'Toyota' branded Synthetic engine oil ?

I'm a bit cautious about just lobing containers of my own engine oil to them and hoping they don't just throw them straight into their vehicles :angry:

Toyota/any good mechanic won't have an issue using oil that you supply, unless you choose one that is grossly incompatible.

I think he meant that he's scared the mechanics might just use the supplied oils in their own cars instead of his. But from my own experience, the dealership I've been using has always used the supplied oils. I know this because my oils are purple.. :)

Edited by Kenneth.

I can't say for sure, but i am confident that my local uses what I give them.

That being said, i have done my own oil changes for the last 30km and i juast get them do to a 'service' minus the oil and get them to dump my dirty oil.

Abit different because your car is still probably under warranty and mine isn't.

I think he meant that he's scared the mechanics might just use the supplied oils in their own cars instead of his. But from my own experience, the dealership I've been using has always used the supplied oils. I know this because my oils are purple.. :)

I assume you use Royal Purple Engine oil, was what I was wanting to use.

&$%#ing expensive gear, do you think the cost is warranted ?

Edited by mr_grumble2010

I assume you use Royal Purple Engine oil, was what I was wanting to use.

&$%#ing expensive gear, do you think the cost is warranted ?

Not at all. Unless you seriously have the money to blow go ahead. But it really is not worth it in a Toyota.

Toyota sure does or at least did make Genuine Fully synthetic oil it used to have a brown label and was a 5W something lol. we had a few bottles kicking around at work (made good door stops in the warehouse) so as you can tell it was never a huge seller and when we finally sold it we never replaced it so not sure if it's still available .

the toyota dealership i take mine to uses mobil 1 fully synthetic oils if you ask them to use "fully synthetic oil" when booking your car i for service. so perhaps different toyota dealerships purchase different oils??

I just use whatever oil the dealer supplies - It does not make a difference at all...

If your logic is true then what's the point of making 100's of different engine oils? You might as well put cooking oil into your car if it makes no difference at all.

I just use whatever oil the dealer supplies - It does not make a difference at all...

If your logic is true then what's the point of making 100's of different engine oils? You might as well put cooking oil into your car if it makes no difference at all.

You bet it makes a difference, particularly the synthetics vs mineral oils.

Ask anyone that maintains a fleet of vehicles, engine's run on synthetics will sometimes be pulled apart to reveal little or no wear at all, largely due to the use of synthetic oils.

Your statement is like saying why make multiple varieties of the same vitamin? They all contain the same contents etc.

There are 100's of different engine oils, but of those hundreds, there amount of different oils with a set oil weight (eg. 10W30) doesn't amount to overly that much.

There is variation between similar types of oils (ie. different brands of a synthetic oil of the same weight), but on the overall aspect of things for the sake of the argument, you can have a good handful that are basically no different of each other, but there will be some that are different in their composition.

Nah, for 90-99% of the type of usage here, it doesn't make a difference using Syn & most modern mineral oils...

And actually, your comment on using cooking oil is so stupid, obviously we're talking about engine oils...

Edited by e240