engine oil viscosities

The Aurion goes in for the 15k service on Wed and as part of the service, I intend on supplying my own synthetic engine oil.

Looking at the Totota viscosity recomendations for the Aurion, it states 5W-30.

My brand choice in oil (Penrite SIN) comes in;

• - 0W-50
  • - 5W-60
  • - 10W-70

I know that the two number terms indicate certain viscosities at those temperatures and that the initial number is important for start-up lubrication, therefore my initial choice would be the 5W-60.

As the Manufactures specification indicates 5W-30, I'm not sure of the consequences, if any, of the higher temp rating of the 5W-60 as opposed to the 5W-30.

Steve

The Aurion goes in for the 15k service on Wed and as part of the service, I intend on supplying my own synthetic engine oil.

• - 0W-50
  • - 5W-60
  • - 10W-70

I know that the two number terms indicate certain viscosities at those temperatures and that the initial number is important for start-up lubrication, therefore my initial choice would be the 5W-60.

As the Manufactures specification indicates 5W-30, I'm not sure of the consequences, if any, of the higher temp rating of the 5W-60 as opposed to the 5W-30.

Steve

the oils are too thick

• - 0W-50
  • - 5W-60
  • - 10W-70

Too thick while up to temperature with those oils. You'll have to switch to another brand. From memory Motul 8100 comes in a 5w30.

why do u want to supply your own sythetic when toyota's genuine sythetic is probably relabelled from an oil supplier like castrol or mobil?

and you pay for the oil in your service...so bring your own would cost you double.

If you must use penrite, then SIN 0 would be the closest.

• - 0W-50
  • - 5W-60
  • - 10W-70

Steve

My brand choice in oil (Penrite SIN) comes in;...

Why not try Penrites recommended oil for the Aurion?

HPR 5

Cause he wants to use Synthetic..actually the Penrite Ester based SIN oils are pretty much value for money.

The equivalent in Motul is about $100 for 4 litres, Elf HTX is around $130 for 5 litres.

You could get redline as well.

My brand choice in oil (Penrite SIN) comes in;...

Why not try Penrites recommended oil for the Aurion?

HPR 5

In answering the inital question, that viscosity is way to high for use in the Aurion. If you were to go for a thicker oil, I personally wouldn't go any thicker than a '40' weight. Unfortunately, this means you may need to use a different oil to what you may prefer.

why do u want to supply your own sythetic when toyota's genuine sythetic is probably relabelled from an oil supplier like castrol or mobil?

and you pay for the oil in your service...so bring your own would cost you double.

Not necessarily. Your service advisor should take off the cost of the oil from the service, but the amount they take off can sometimes be at their own discretion. I know for a fact that when I got my car serviced, they removed the oil costs from it. I guess there can be some out there though that will try to be sneaky by leaving the costs there.

Edit: When I said they removed the cost of the oil, I wasn't referring to being with the 'Service Advantage Plan' as I didn't have that option with my car.

Yes, I was interested in the Penrite SIN purely due to it being an Ester base rather than a base oil with aditives.

The other important factor was that it had to be reasonably easy to get my hands on, neither Motul nor Elf were available at my local outlets and I just don't have time to be racing round chasing oil every time I need a service.

Only other reputable name I can get good supply of is Mobil 1, I can get this in 5W-30 at less than $90 / 5L. I can also get the Caltex synthetic, but I've had issues in the past with numerous Caltex products, so I would prefer not to visit that again.

I will call Sydney City Toyota in the morning and enquire on what their 'branded' synthetic oil is and whether the fixed price service cost can be offset accordingly should I provide my own engine oil.

Thanks to all for your offerings.....

Steve

Just use the Penrite SIN 0 - its not "too thick" - it will be just fine.

Worst case, you hate it and you change brands at the next service...at least yu've tried it...

Yes, I was interested in the Penrite SIN purely due to it being an Ester base rather than a base oil with aditives.

The other important factor was that it had to be reasonably easy to get my hands on, neither Motul nor Elf were available at my local outlets and I just ...

Thanks to all for your offerings.....

Steve

I spoke to Sydney City Toyota this morning regarding offsetting the service costs seing as though I'm suplying my own oil.

Their response was that I'm welcome to do so but as the service is a capped service, they cannot remove anything from the schedule......just add to it <_< surprise surprise.

However if I were to supply them with an empty 5L container, the're happy to let me bring their oil home with me for our Echo :yahoo:

Also, I enquired about whether they themselves offer a synthetic option.

Other Toyota dealerships may offer this but not Sydney City Toyota, they just buy in the regular 5W-30 engine oil, brand withheld (as cheaply as possible too I suspect).

Managed to pick up Mobil 1, 5W-30 for $68 / 5L.

Pain in the but needing 6.1 L for a full oil / filter change. I was tempted to just but a 5L and a 1L but figured I'll be needing more later, so picked up 2x5L

Another thing I did stumble across was anyone in the Sydney area that uses / wants to use Mobil 1, there is a guy on ebay (GL Lubricants) who imports Mobil 1 direct from the US at very reasonable prices, $65 for 6 US Quarts = 5.7L

I'd have picked some up but couldn't get there between now and tomorrow morning.....next time :spiteful:

Steve

I spoke to Sydney City Toyota this morning regarding offsetting the service costs seing as though I'm suplying my own oil.

Their response was that I'm welcome to do so but as the service is a capped service, they cannot remove anything from the schedule......just add to it <_< surprise surprise.

Just an update to be fair to Sydney City Toyota, I had the 15k service carried out this morning and before I could say anything about the oil issue, they offered to reduce the price of the service down to $80 because I was suplying my own oil :clap:

Pretty good considering the capped service was supposed to be around $130.

Highly recommend Sydney City Toyota, best service I've come across from a dealership.

Steve

Just an update to be fair to Sydney City Toyota, I had the 15k service carried out this morning and before I could say anything about the oil issue, they offered to reduce the price of the service down to $80 because I was suplying my own oil :clap:

Pretty good considering the capped service was supposed to be around $130.

Highly recommend Sydney City Toyota, best service I've come across from a dealership.

Steve

yep they are legends!! especially when it comes to warranty things!!

• 2 weeks later...

i would say that you shouldnt go any higher than 40, so no higher than 0w-40 to 10w-40. the oil that you brought in to the servicer is too thick and the service cost includes the oil change as well, according to my knowledge. therefore next time you take it for a service,either let the servicer use their's( they always use to right one), choose one from their shelf, or bring in one thats 10w-40 to 5w-30. most brands of oil are fine, but i prefer Mobil.

note: lower than that isn't recommended-it can make your cars engine unhappy either long term or short term.

Edited by seifer

I don't understand why you would place sin into a standard Aurion , Penrite HPR-5 would be the best pick in my mind , placing Mobil 1 in is a bloody expensive exercise.

I don't understand why you would place sin into a standard Aurion , Penrite HPR-5 would be the best pick in my mind , placing Mobil 1 in is a bloody expensive exercise.

Horses for courses I guess.

Spending $100+ on good engine oil may seem to be an expensive exercise, but then, so is replacing grills, under-car lighting, air intake mods, exhaust mods blah blah blah, all of which at the end of the day, don't really do all that much other than visual / sound appeal, fine if your into that sort of thing, but like I said, Horses for Courses :D

Yes Mobil 1 is $$$$$, as are all good quality synthetics, but you sure can hear the difference on start-up, idles smoother (didn't think that was even possible in an engine that is so smooth to begin with) and over time, internals stay a whole lot cleaner, nowhere near as much sludge build up.

Edited by m_grumble

Horses for courses I guess.

Spending $100+ on good engine oil may seem to be an expensive exercise, but then, so is replacing grills, under-car lighting, air intake mods, exhaust mods blah blah blah, all of which at the end of the day, don't really do all that much other than visual / sound appeal, fine if your into that sort of thing, but like I said, Horses for Courses :D

Yes Mobil 1 is $$$$$, as are all good quality synthetics, but you sure can hear the difference on start-up, idles smoother (didn't think that was even possible in an engine that is so smooth to begin with) and over time, internals stay a whole lot cleaner, nowhere near as much sludge build up.

I'm not sure what your trying to get at and if your personally speaking of me when you refer to spending no money on oil and spending it on homo plastic **** for my car your obviously clutching at straws... I read your post and instantly went "Ahh so your one of those guys" more money doesn't make it better nor does assuming that it makes that much of a difference as in most cases it's placebo. Your under the misconception that the oil that goes into the motor must be high quality to keep the engine clean when in general terms does contribute to what your saying but it's not just abut that. It pends on how the motor is treated in general and how often the oil is changed. There are to many factors surrounding a debate such as this but what i will say is i'd much rather a car thats been serviced every 5k on penrite or something similar over a vehicle with 10 or 15k intervals using Penrite SIN or Mobil 1 or any of those high end high price lubricants.

Wow, don't some people take things to heart :lol:

Look, if it upsets you so much that I opt for using the Mobil 1 product, then my appologies, your free to use whatever, as am I.

My comments were not directed at you in particular, I couldn't care less what other people do to their vehicles, whatever makes you happy :yahoo:

After running plain Penrite and Castrol mineral oils in a Landcruiser and an XR8 and witnessing first hand the amounts of sludge left behind over 100K+ then switching to a synthetic in a Pajero since new, same conditions etc, the difference is obvious.

I don't care about opinion, it's over-rated, if something has worked for you in the past, you'll tend to stick with it.

If you re-read what i posted you may make some more sense out of it, im not taking anything to heart nor do i care what you use im just having my say which is what a forum is meant to be all about? I'm stoked you get good results with the high end stuff... probobally as stoked as i am with what i use!