Gear shifting problem

hey guys and girls

as above. noise when i shift gears (this video is from 1st to 2nd in lift). maybe this noise has been talked about before but i think its not a "crunching" noise or whatever. it happens sometimes and only when i press clutch and it's from 1st to neutral.

this is the sole reason why i cannot quick shift from 1st to 2nd in lift.

bad news for gear box? or should i just depress the clutch at least 1/2 second before i shift/change the clutch to HD clutch? any suggstions would be great

cheers guys

I watched the video and don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I test drove your car 3 weeks ago and your gear box seems so much smoother than mine on 1st and 2nd gears (all gears to be exact). No crunching at all when shifting in Lift. I couldnt believe how soft and easy it was.

Also, your shifter makes a clicking sound. Is it an aftermarket mod your friend had installed when he owned the car? The last time I had driven a car with clicks when shifting, was in a pulsar sss (N13) and a mr2 (AW11).

I also installed a TWM SS package into my mate's '03 stivo and his gearbox feels as soft and silky as yours do even with the metal base and gear selector cable bushings. Looks like both of you are very lucky to shift gears effortlessly - "dainty gear shifting"

sounds like clutch is dragging

thanks for the reply guys. i researched abit on google and clutch dragging maybe caused by movement in the engine by worn engine mounts. Yes my front engine mount is worn and getting changed to poly urethane mounts today and hopefully that will fix the problem :)

hey guys and girls

as above. noise when i shift gears (this video is from 1st to 2nd in lift). maybe this noise has been talked about before but i think its not a "crunching" noise or whatever. it happens sometimes and only when i press clutch and it's from 1st to neutral.

this is the sole reason why i cannot quick shift from 1st to 2nd in lift.

bad news for gear box? or should i just depress the clutch at least 1/2 second before i shift/change the clutch to HD clutch? any suggstions would be great

cheers guys

I think it may be the Syncros in your gearbox had a similar noise from my old AE112 could possibly be that.

Justin

OMG!

Duy

has

posts!! :rolleyes:

+7 for you :P

There's no way the engine mounts can cause a dragging clutch. You need to adjust the clutch master pushrod up under the dash.

ok, i'll bring this to my mechanics attention next time i see him.

Poly mounts....your going to love it after they go in! they kill the car

sorry,u mean literally? :( dont say that... i just got them :( :( :(

Poly mounts....your going to love it after they go in! they kill the car

He doesn't mean poly mounts. He means poly mount inserts.

• 2 weeks later...

so with this clutch dragging i get... if it happens frequently... what parts will i be damaging apart from the clutch and gearbox? and in gear box would it specifically 1st gear? the 1st gear would be the strongest gear so it wouldn't be that easy to damage right?

Go and have the Clutch push rod adjusted or at first adjust your pedal as i did , it solved all of the annoying issues i had with day to day driving in the car..

Go and have the Clutch push rod adjusted or at first adjust your pedal as i did , it solved all of the annoying issues i had with day to day driving in the car..

with this push rod... i saw a diy in the workshop section... but when i change my clutch i might get the extended push rod from monkey wrench so it never does drag again. its annoying not to be able to stay in lift :angry:

still i might pay my mechanic to do it... saves me from stuffing things up <_<