Do doors unlock after a car accident?

Do you lock your doors when driving?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been trying to find this answer in the manual but can't find any information about it. When driving I always lock my doors when I start driving. I usually lock it at the first red light I get. It's become such a habit to do it it's no different to remembering to indicate.

It's really just for safety reasons. Having my door's unlocked at intersection's for me feels no different then having every single door in my home unlocked 24/7.

As much as its a safety thing but it could also be a death trap. I heard that some cars automatically unlock the doors when you have been in a accident that was enough for airbags to go off(hope it never comes to that).

Does the Aurions unlock?

Edited by unique

I heard, through a rather indirect but none the less reliable source just yesterday, that when the air bags deploy the doors in the Aurion do automatically unlock.

I remember the dealer telling me about it when i was looking at the Aurion SX6 a month ago.

Not sure if its a new feature or if its across all Aurions.

The SRS ECU is in communication with the Main and Body ECU in the Aurion by means of CAN-BUS. In the event of an accident, the SRS ECU is able to communicate with these ECU's (more specifically the Body ECU) to tell it to unlock the doors. A very important safety feature... but not much use if you have a side on impact that stuffs the door mechanism up (took a bit of a kick to open my passenger door).

The SRS ECU can also do things like cut ignition to the engine etc. That one I can confirm definitely happens.

The SRS ECU is in communication with the Main and Body ECU in the Aurion by means of CAN-BUS. In the event of an accident, the SRS ECU is able to communicate with these ECU's (more specifically the Body ECU) to tell it to unlock the doors. A very important safety feature... but not much use if you have a side on impact that stuffs the door mechanism up (took a bit of a kick to open my passenger door).

The SRS ECU can also do things like cut ignition to the engine etc. That one I can confirm definitely happens.

Awesome. Good to see that it does. I've been doing it for the last 4 months and was always wondering if they did unlock but was too lazy to ask until now.

Thanks for the clarification DJKOR and everyone else who helped! :)

p.s I also remember reading about the ignition kill in the manual. edit: lol I just realised you know about the ignition kill through personal experience not the manual :P

Edited by unique

It's really just for safety reasons.

Out of interest, what safety benefits are there to locking your doors while you drive?

Oh i don't know :whistling: :whistling: Maybe me running up to your car with a knife OPENING your door telling you to get out and steal your car

Also power is cut to the fuel pump if the airbags are deployed or the engine is stalled.

These is also true and in addition to this if there is any battery power left the lights will also come on to attract attention :)

Paradigm: Not really going to be a problem where we live but there is a bit of a problem with been robbed and your car stolen whilst waiting at the lights in the bigger cities :S

Out of interest, what safety benefits are there to locking your doors while you drive?

I do it as soon as I get in the car. There is a group of guys here in Townsville who like to hide in bushes near red lights and grab drivers through windows or unlocked doors while stopped at the lights. Call me paranoid but I have a friend who had his jaw broken and head kicked in by them while waiting at the lights with his window down. Sadistic or not, if that happens to me, I'll grab them and go. See how they like being dragged along at 100km. Can't stand that sort of person.

I'm not sure about Tassie, but in some Major Cites of NSW, VIC and QLD there are groups of Mobs who attack drivers, jump inside and steal the car or valuables.

Hence the reason i usually lock the car as soon as i get in. Its become a habit.

Nothing has happen to me but i think its a good idea to keep the doors locked. Especially at night :)

Like others have said and I have said, it just doesn't feel right. You wouldn't leave your house doors unlocked 24/7 would you?

I live in a area that can be a bit dodgy at the best of times and the latest robbery while someone waiting at an intersection was about 3 months ago.

edit: Added a poll just for the heck of it :)

Edited by unique

Voted no,never really entered my mind about getting jacked or assulted while sitting in the car...but you guys have got me thinking now.

maybe it's time to lock them puppies espec at night.

I do it out of habit, especially when I've got the window down because my elbow pushes the button down on the window sill :P

stupid fuqn window sill locks... they ***** me off something chronic!!

i used to always lock the car doors by accident cause i'd keep hitting it with my elbow! lol

I also lock doors once in the car and I am in Perth...

Interestingly, having come back from a recent trip to Malaysia....alll the cars there have an auto mechanism so when you get in the car and start it, as soon as you drive off, all the doors lock automatically.....i thought this was a great feature to have..........

Paradigm: Not really going to be a problem where we live but there is a bit of a problem with been robbed and your car stolen whilst waiting at the lights in the bigger cities :S

Dunno bout getting robbed or car stolen, but I've had people try to get into my car on King St and surrounds on Sat nights after I've denied them a lift.

Like others have said and I have said, it just doesn't feel right. You wouldn't leave your house doors unlocked 24/7 would you?

Pretty much, yeah. If I'm home, my front door is almost always unlocked. I lock it when I go to sleep or take a shower, and of course I wouldn't leave my house and not lock it, just as I wouldn't leave my car without locking it. But if you are driving through dodgy areas then I get where you're coming from. If I'm driving the streets late night/early morning, I hit the lock button at the sight of rowdy d!ckheads, but thats about it for me, and I unlock it as soon as I'm out of the trouble zone.

I also lock doors once in the car and I am in Perth...

Interestingly, having come back from a recent trip to Malaysia....alll the cars there have an auto mechanism so when you get in the car and start it, as soon as you drive off, all the doors lock automatically.....i thought this was a great feature to have..........

Pretty sure theres an option for that on the Aurion. Its disabled by default but I think you can enable it if you hook it up to an IT. Someone (DJKOR??) posted up a list somewhere a while back of all those options, like door locks, headlight sensors, timers, etc.

Well there are a variety of answers in this forum that pretty much sum it up. I never used to drive round with the doors locked and my window was always open. Now since carjacking seems to have taken off here in aus, plus I have 2 small kids, the windows are up and locked, doors are child locked and also locked from the main button my door.

As for what happens in an accident, I can only go by what DJKOR said, but if your in enough of a hit you will have probably bent the body enough to probably not be able to open the doors regardless of whether they are locked or not..

QFRS will help you will getting the door open....They have some really cooooool equipment that they like using to open doors....remove a roof... etc etc :)

Not a major issue but i noticed at the top of a poll thred it says that 13 members have cast their vote...then you look at the poll graph thing and it says only 10 members have voted,i suppose my point is are these poll numbers/percentages accurate because to me it seems 3 votes are missing.

Not a major issue but i noticed at the top of a poll thred it says that 13 members have cast their vote...then you look at the poll graph thing and it says only 10 members have voted,i suppose my point is are these poll numbers/percentages accurate because to me it seems 3 votes are missing.

The view results (null vote) button probably counts as a vote but doesn't go towards either of the poll options, I'm guessing. So there have been 10 votes and 3 people who just wanted to see the results and had to cast a null vote.

The view results (null vote) button probably counts as a vote but doesn't go towards either of the poll options, I'm guessing. So there have been 10 votes and 3 people who just wanted to see the results and had to cast a null vote.

Cheers mate,your prolly right about the (null vote) button. :)

• 2 months later...

My dad got the most awesome thing done to his car today.

He went to get his central locking to work by remote. Anyway, long story short, the guy done the locking so that when you hit the brakes twice when the car is in drive and turned completely on, the doors automatically lock and as soon as he turns off the ignition the doors automatically unlock in an instant.

So damn cool.

He only done it for $140

I'm thinking of going to him to get mine done too like that, I got jealous :lol:

Would it be harder on the Aurion, because he put in a completely new locking system & motors for this remote locking or would you be able to some how wire up the existing central locking of the Aurions to lock doors when the brake is pressed and to automatically unlock when the ignition of turned off?

Edited by Silver-Aurion