CAI saves heaps of petrol after a while, how much do you save

ben yip

I have installed injen CAI for one week, after running 1000KM later, the fuel economy has been increased signifcantly, not sure whether it is my illusion

In the past

Average speed 28.5 can only achieve 7.6 litres per 100km

Now

Average speed 28.5 can only achieve 7.2 litres per 100km, almost never happen after i bought the new car for half a year (I bought the car this feb), Before, 7.3/100 litre can only be achieved when the average speed is 32...

I did not go to freeway, so speed always less than 90 most of the time

And I have observed the fuel consumption during 60-80km/h, it saves up to almost 1 litre per 100km..

That's massive fuel saving

I drive normally less than 2k RPM mark to keep a low fuel consumption, (CVT is doing <2k rpm most of the time to achieve fuel saving)

Do you guys find CAI save heaps of petrol

yes this is interesting, i'm inthe same boat as u thai. but not as much? i always ran a pipe for cold air somewhat, but since changing to trd and the ported headers, my best fuel efficiency on caltex vortex 98 was 8.18L/100km.

i'm now trying BP ultimate for 1 month and see how that goes...

then shell v power, then back to caltex...

i found that i get more mileage with the caltex vortex more than any other fuel, with these ported headers, that MIGHT change...

edit: rememeber, no lifting and shifting at 3.0 to 3.5k

Mine average went up i think. From 7.5-7.6 to 7.9-8/8.1. i've lost some km's there. but not too much.

How come went up, is that because you have changed your driving style to be more aggressive after changing CAI..

What is your average speed? coze fuel consumption changes with average speed, My fuel consumption was 7.9 when average speed is 22-24km/h, 7.5 when average speed is 30-32km/h

btw, how did the other guy drive 12L per 100, he must be pushing his rev all the time

Edited by ben yip

i found that i get more mileage with the caltex vortex more than any other fuel, with these ported headers, that MIGHT change...

It is starting to convince with as well after trying different brands of petrol, caltex vortex did give milegae

Edited by ben yip

with cai my average is 12L/100......

WTF!? You got a V8 under your hood or something?

Mine average went up i think. From 7.5-7.6 to 7.9-8/8.1. i've lost some km's there. but not too much.

I don think there is a V8 under the hood but its getting driven like one with those avs ..laugh.gif

Since i have got me CAI i have had too many variables to do a fair comparison..

I used to get 750KM with my Sunday driving style but with the CAI i sometimes lose my head and drive like russell ingall ...laugh.gif

Still getting 610KM with 1/4 tank to go ..

simply put, when u get a CAI ur fuel consumption decreases cause you always wana hear it :spiteful:

but im on my 2nd tank after the CAI install n i was 400km at half a tank.

it usually decreases more rapidly after half way but i should be on my way to around 600km when the fuel light comes on which i believe is about 10 more litres

Quick side note: i managed to drive from Melbourne to Albury and drive a fair bit up there are back to Melb again on one tank with 705 k's.

I remember someone getting 805km coming back from the Syd meet too

Any time I have dealt with any form of induction, this has been coupled with crappier fuel consumption. But it's more due to the increased desire to hear it more.

If you do drive it sedately though, it is more than possible to get better fuel economy but that said, it can vary depending on the engine etc.

I remember someone getting 805km coming back from the Syd meet too

guans lsd + 6th celica gear... ;) thought it was more though :huh:

not a bad combo will be getting this when the clutch/flywheel/gearbox sh#ts itself

i reckon i can get 850km before the tank runs dry

yes cai does get u better fuel mileage. i did 760km on a tank with a bit of lift here and there, aswell as a bit of a/c

was averaging 650+km a tank before.

average about 700+km now.

Edited by hAmZ

yes cai does get u better fuel mileage. i did 760km on a tank with a bit of lift here and there, aswell as a bit of a/c

That's massive... you must be driving very long distance all the time, 760km per tank, a dream for me !!

That's massive... you must be driving very long distance all the time, 760km per tank, a dream for me !!

well i can get 800+ before levels go dangerously low. and that's mainly driving in the city (stop start) don't forget our stivo tanks are 60L. in theory the newer corollas SHOULD BE more fuel efficient than our ZZEs. don't drive it too many times below 1/4 tank, ur fuel pump will sh#t itself sooner.

I get avg 600km out of 50L (fill up when light comes on) on BP Ultimate only.

That's with pretty spirited driving every once in a while. My min is about 525ish

well i can get 800+ before levels go dangerously low. and that's mainly driving in the city (stop start) don't forget our stivo tanks are 60L. in theory the newer corollas SHOULD BE more fuel efficient than our ZZEs. don't drive it too many times below 1/4 tank, ur fuel pump will sh#t itself sooner.

ZRE tanks are 55L and at least 80kg's odd heavier than the ZZEs. There are too many variables to compare the two.

And if you want to know how fuel efficient the ZRE can be. In summer, I use to work on the Westside of Melbourne (I live in South-East). My average was 7.2L/100kms (on the car computer) and best was 6.9L/100kms. Typically, I would drive 600+kms and fill up only 45L max. This included spirited driving every now and then. :spiteful: So the ZRE can definitely achieve lower than this, I think I read someone did..

Since I am not working there anymore and am just going short distances from home to uni and I put a CAI in, my average has gone up to 7.8L/100kms hahaha! Still can achieve 7.1L/100kms but I don't drive far distances frequently anymore, maybe once or twice a week now.

Peter.

EDIT: I love the induction noise! :lol:

i've found that with my intake my fuel consumption jump 2-3L per 100km's ....... oh wait that would be due to the turbine ...... lol

Yeah when i was N/A i did fine that it did run a little leaner but that was corrected and brought back to normal and guzzling a bit more fuel once we put the powerFC in an tuned it to max performance.

EDIT: I love the induction noise! :lol:

i do too ..... but the turbo spool is a much nicer tone ;)

So I did a few tests recently, but only ONCE on each of the following fuel, so the I can't say it's consistent.

BP Ultimate: 543KM

Caltex Voltex: 459KM (WTF??)

Mobil 8000: 529KM

Shell V Power: 527KM

These results are done through city driving with the occasional highway. I do have a regular driving pattern and during those tests, may have hit lift several times but nothing major. I fueled up each time when the needle hits the last bar. Is that at 50L?

Is this normal? Why is Guan getting 805KM out of a tank?? LOL! Any explanations why my consumption is so high? :help:

ZRE tanks are 55L and at least 80kg's odd heavier than the ZZEs.

Why, I cannot find any data on this, almost 100kg heavier.. where are they coming from

Comparing the three (all 1.8L manual)

ZZE122R (Ascent): 1118kg kerb weight.

ZZE123R ('03 Sportivo): 1224kg kerb weight.

ZRE152R (Ascent): 1275kg kerb weight.

Note: models higher than Ascent will be slightly heavier due to extra accessories etc..

Peter.

So I did a few tests recently, but only ONCE on each of the following fuel, so the I can't say it's consistent.

BP Ultimate: 543KM

Caltex Voltex: 459KM (WTF??)

Mobil 8000: 529KM

Shell V Power: 527KM

These results are done through city driving with the occasional highway. I do have a regular driving pattern and during those tests, may have hit lift several times but nothing major. I fueled up each time when the needle hits the last bar. Is that at 50L?

Is this normal? Why is Guan getting 805KM out of a tank?? LOL! Any explanations why my consumption is so high? :help:

I start to suspect those meters in the car are wrong..

I give you my example..

My car is zre154, I fuel up and paid 45L yesterday using caltex vortex, at the time I fuel up the car, it said i got only 17KM to drive.

After I fuel up, the computer said I can run 568KM, but it also said my fuel consumption is 7.1

Using your calculator, the formula and figures just does not match.

568KM and 45L means the average fuel consumption is 45/568 * 100 = 7.922L per 100 km, but the meter said is 7.1, not 7.9, what a big difference...

Last time, I fuel up the car, and BEFORE I PRESS THE FIRST GAS AFTER I FUELED UP, the fuel consumption drops from 7.7 to 7.6 by itself, at that point in time, I did not even move my car yet, wierld..

I remember I did ane experiment a long time ago, I use my TRIP meter on the right to compare the "kilometers left" on the left. In theory, the TRIP meter on the right is the most accurate measurement... and suprisingly, the TRIP meter is reporting the correct figures as compared to the "kilometers left"... that means that my car fuel consumption is actually way up higher that what is in reality....

I really want people to do more experiment about this and tell me which figures I should believe..Is toyota lying to me?