Difficulty shifting in Sportivo

I'm an all round Toyota fan and would probably choose a Toyota offering over any other make. I like the new sprotivos and celicas and currently drive an AE93 GTI Corolla (4AGE).

In my opinion, the 4AGE is one of the best NA 4 cylinders to come out of Japan barring new variable technologies. I'd say the 4AGE engines in the late 80s early 90s were far ahead of their competition (at the time), but I can't say the same for today's 2ZZ-GE. While it may / may not be better than the 4AGE I don't think it is as revolutionary as the 4AGE was back then.

As for the 2ZZ-GE, I'm still not convinced that it has the strength of the 4A block and hence the potential. The narrow power band and silly gear ratios is a problem, but in all fairness it is toyota's first attempt at variable lift and just as the 2nd series 4AGE was better than the 1st, I'm sure this will be the same for 2ZZ. That's when I'll consider an upgrade, but till now, 4AGE all the way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an all round Toyota fan and would probably choose a Toyota offering over any other make. I like the new sprotivos and celicas and currently drive an AE93 GTI Corolla (4AGE).

In my opinion, the 4AGE is one of the best NA 4 cylinders to come out of Japan barring new variable technologies. I'd say the 4AGE engines in the late 80s early 90s were far ahead of their competition (at the time), but I can't say the same for today's 2ZZ-GE. While it may / may not be better than the 4AGE I don't think it is as revolutionary as the 4AGE was back then.

As for the 2ZZ-GE, I'm still not convinced that it has the strength of the 4A block and hence the potential. The narrow power band and silly gear ratios is a problem, but in all fairness it is toyota's first attempt at variable lift and just as the 2nd series 4AGE was better than the 1st, I'm sure this will be the same for 2ZZ. That's when I'll consider an upgrade, but till now, 4AGE all the way.

*hits fist into chest* respect

My point was in reference to the competition. Don't get me wrong, the 2ZZ-GE is a revolution by Toyota's standards but not necessarily compared with the competition.

When Toyota released 4AGE no other manufacturer had anything to match it. Nowadays, there are honda B16s, B18s, K20s, as well as other cars like the Renault Clio Sport or Peugot GTi 180 which easily match it with the 2ZZ.

The problem is Toyota took their eye off the sports market (look at the celicas from 1989-1999) for example. The new 2ZZ-GE is their first attempt in years and I'm positive they'll be back at the top very soon. In Japan, the BEAMS 3S-GE (2L with about 215HP) will demolish most other N/A variants, let's hope we see that in Australia.

Look Guys...CHIIILLL!!! B)

Both the 4age and the 2zze engines are great engines but runs on totally different technologies. I use to own a corolla SX 4age engine before I sold it and got the Sportivo. I loved the SX but if u were to put 2 stockies 4age and the 2zze together, there is no doubt that the 2zze will woop the 4age from here back to Japan.

If ur 4age is modded, then yeah it will beat the Stivo. I've seen them run 6 seconds in 1/4 mile. However who says that the Stivo can't be modded too!!!

You mod urs and I mod mine and we see who will win!!! :P :D :lol:

Seriously....u can't compare the 2 engines.

You mod urs and I mod mine and we see who will win!!! :P :D :lol:

I've modded a couple of my current rolla's... which one you want to race? They're both pretty good on the track ;)

Do the sportivo's have LSD? both my car's here have a "factory claimed" power output of over 120kw, and they're not heavy cars, even with the climate control AC and big brake upgrades....

post-4-1075014119.jpg

post-4-1079491209.jpg

post-4-1079491258.jpg

Sportivo's are good, everyone just get along... some people would rather spend $30K elsewhere or not bother going into debt for a car...

Dude, it has 40 more kilowatts that the 4age, how can that not be evolutionary?

and 300 more kilos on the car.

My car weighs 900 kg but i dont have the 100kw 4AGE only the 86kw but it still hammers (AE82).

Revloutionary would be 40 more killowatts and less body fat.

When Toyota released 4AGE no other manufacturer had anything to match it. Nowadays, there are honda B16s, B18s, K20s, as well as other cars like the Renault Clio Sport or Peugot GTi 180 which easily match it with the 2ZZ.

In Japan, the BEAMS 3S-GE (2L with about 215HP) will demolish most other N/A variants, let's hope we see that in Australia.

Didn't Honda have the CRX in the late 1980s and they had the B16A which made 170bhp or 125kw. My mate had one imported from Japan and the car weighs around 900kg. That would wup a 4AGE then wouldn't it? Even the non VTEC CRX had 96kw. The B16A2 came about in the early nineties into the Civics and Oz got them with 118kw.

The BEAMS 3S-GE (2L, 215bhp) is a good engine especially in the Altezza rear wheel drive, but i don't agree it demolishes most other N/A variants. Honda produced 250bhp in the 1999 S2000 remember? Okay, maybe the S2000 is in a league of its own. Ho about the 4 door Honda Accord Type-S in Japan? It also made 220bhp and i have a VCD with it handling and accelerating better than the Altezza. Just beat the Altezza at the top end with the VTEC lift, and they weigh about the same!

Had any of you "Sportivo Pissers" even driven the Sportivo at all! Go arrange a test drive and maybe you'll all think otherwise and buy yourself one :lol: Even i find the Sportivo satisfying over my modded 97 WRX so please... Like as if my WRX with over 210kw at the flywheel is slower than the Sportivo :blink: GET MY POINT!!!

In Japan, the BEAMS 3S-GE (2L with about 215HP) will demolish most other N/A variants, let's hope we see that in Australia.

Didn't Honda have the CRX in the late 1980s and they had the B16A which made 170bhp or 125kw. My mate had one imported from Japan and the car weighs around 900kg. That would wup a 4AGE then wouldn't it? Even the non VTEC CRX had 96kw. The B16A2 came about in the early nineties into the Civics and Oz got them with 118kw.

The BEAMS 3S-GE (2L, 215bhp) is a good engine especially in the Altezza rear wheel drive, but i don't agree it demolishes most other N/A variants. Honda produced 250bhp in the 1999 S2000 remember? Okay, maybe the S2000 is in a league of its own. Ho about the 4 door Honda Accord Type-S in Japan? It also made 220bhp and i have a VCD with it handling and accelerating better than the Altezza. Just beat the Altezza at the top end with the VTEC lift, and they weigh about the same!

If you haven't noticed, I said I like the 2ZZ and it would probably be my first pick now (considering I'm not a big fan of turbo) but it's not without its weak points.

I think it's tough comparing Honda to Toyota. Honda is more aggressive with their engine designs - the S2000 and DC2 Type R Integra were factory modified with head work, forged pistons, etc before arriving on our shores. So if you strike a direct comparison with the 3S or 2ZZ which are not, it's not entirely fair. 3S doesnt even have lift from memory.

Lotus has managed to pull about an extra 10HP and a little extra torque from the 2ZZ by simply fooling around with the ECU. Theyve also adjust the 6 speed ratios to make better use of Lift. I'm positive these changes will be seen on the next model Toyotas.

Nicely said Zeerolla!

All you Stivo pissers should go and test drive one like I did. I use to own an SX corolla and made the change to the Stivo. You guys haven't even driven one so don't diss the Stivo!

U guys shouldn't be coming in here and giving us S**T for owning a Stivo. Hell we don;t go and diss ur cars saying how ***** old it is and ****! Instead the group of guys in here love to see other people's cars and admire the work done and I would say VERY IMPRESSIVE to all the mods done on ur 4age! U guys should take it easy on the comments and remember that we all drive a corolla whether its a new one or old one.

Please don;t diss other people's cars...OK! ;)

It's not just about straightline speed, horsepower, torque you 4age morons. It's the whole package. This car still brings a smile to my face every time i venture into lift. I'd rather lose in style than in a piece of s@#T you guys drive. You guys made it this way so cop it or leave this forum. Secasx are you in Syd? if you are i'll see ya on the streets :angry: .

It's not just about straightline speed, horsepower, torque you 4age morons. It's the whole package. This car still brings a smile to my face every time i venture into lift. I'd rather lose in style than in a piece of s@#T you guys drive. You guys made it this way so cop it or leave this forum. Secasx are you in Syd? if you are i'll see ya on the streets :angry: .

Saying that you prefer to 'loose in style' is saying you prefer looks over performance. Is that really true.

And I believe this is a 'Corolla' forum not a 'Sportivo' forum...I believe we're simply stating that there is more to Corollas than Sportivos...

Chill Dudes. each-and-their-own remember?

I honestly think we are arguing over nothing. Toyota have always been ontop of their game in well "performing" engines. A well performing engine comes down to it's durability and effeciency. Sure we will not run the 1/4mile in sub 9's and we will not beat many cars of the same spec in stock form but there is tuning potential.

I dissagree with the comment about toyota engines not being ontop of tecnology. The idea of Variables in engine management is not a new concept to Toyota. They offered a variable intake runner system called T-VIS in their 3S series engines since mid 80's. I admit that the 4a-ge and 4a-gze were excellent engines but since then there have been the mighty 2JZ and 3S-GTE engines. The only thing Toyota are guilty of is Crappy marketing!

my 2 cents.

I might have to close down this topic if you guys dont chill out, especially the new guys, everything was just fine till a few days ago. To the ae92 sx owners with 4ag motors welcome aboard, enjoy your stay, feel free to post positive comments and everyone will get along fine. We all love our cars thats why were here, people get very offensive and crap starts spilling out. :) :) , now back to the topic.....anyone still having problems shifting in their sportivo?

In my opinion , a true corolla runs on a 4A block.

The sportivo is running on a celica engine , how can you even look yourself in the face in the mornings knowing that. :D

In my opinion , a true corolla runs on a 4A block.

The sportivo is running on a celica engine , how can you even look yourself in the face in the mornings knowing that. :D

Well i feel pretty good in the knowledge the celica is a good car and i saved my self 17grand on the top model celica :P

I sat in the celica, it wasnt anything flash, no colour inside, it was just black and that was it unfortunately, just the seats were really comfortable. Also if u are tallish u have to have ur head on a slant in the back :(

I have had 2, 2 door cars previously and i didnt want another one.

Who are you people and where are you coming from? Man your cars are ancient get over them. Greywolfe learn how to spell before you post. The sportivo has a balance of both style and performance so i am happy either way. It has show and go.They are not a race car but push it and it sure acts like one. This was mainly a sportivo forum before you pissers came along. I suggest you guys start your own club/forum as our cars are completely different and this inturn is causing clashes in opinions and comments. You have nothing to bring in the way of advice and experience to owners of sportivo's here and vice versa. This was and hopefully will still be an informative, usefull and related forum where fellow owners share helpful suggestions, experience and happenings with and about our cars.

S@#t i've been living under a rock all these years, i did not know that there was other corolla's other than the sportivo.

I'm sorry, if it were a sportivo forum, then call it that. I believe its a 'corolla' forum. It's amusing that you seem to think the only good corolla is a brand new sportivo. Perhaps THAT is the reason several people are making remarks?

A corolla is a corolla, new or old. If you make statements about one type being the 'best' then you're opening yourself for abuse. I'm not saying my car is the best corolla out there, far from it. But I wouldnt say sportivos are the best either. Think outside the square :)