2ZZ Turbo Kit

I guess having an LSD put in at the same time is a good investment ;)

And i guess the 250hp @ 8200rpm they are quoting is atw since they say there is a 90+hp gain atw (since stock is 150-160hp atw). So 250hp = 185kw, atw! Not bad, there are quite a few boosted fwds putting out 160+kw atw. But for about AD$7-8grand sounds real tempting doesn't it considering all the hi-quality hardware that comes with it. So who would be the first to booooooooost their Stivo! :lol:

I particularly liked how they specifically stated that the pwerformance gain was against a stock motor, I wouldn't want to buy this if it meant I had to do extra internal mods, I thought the price was pretty good for a full turbo conversion kit :).

hmmm......

when you look at the cost, it just doesnt seem worth it.

30k for a stivo, 8 grand for a turbo, 2 grand for lsd..... voided warranty.

Or you could just spend 40k on a WRX, Golf GTi, XR6 Turbo, etc with full warranty and millions of dollars by the manufacturer in making sure nothing breaks.

30k for a stivo... bargain. 40k?... rather something else.

hmmm......

when you look at the cost, it just doesnt seem worth it.

30k for a stivo, 8 grand for a turbo, 2 grand for lsd..... voided warranty.

Or you could just spend 40k on a WRX, Golf GTi, XR6 Turbo, etc with full warranty and millions of dollars by the manufacturer in making sure nothing breaks.

30k for a stivo... bargain.  40k?... rather something else.

But realistically you can do comparisons the other way and say Well $40K for a Turbo Stivo against an Astra turbo which costs the same :).

There are points on both sides of this fence :).

30k... 40k...

gee... i think the thing is... if you spend 40k on a stivo, and you smoke ppls with 40k wrx, they'll be scratching their head wondering what hit them....

oh the other hand... by the time you spend 40k on a rex, you'll say... oh... exhaust, turbo, intercooler, dogbox, injectors, fuel pumps, blah blah... $60k or even 80k rex... mmm...

80k why don't i get 2nd hand M3 or something? you get the picture?

people are hard to please... i feel like that sometime... but oh well...

a rolla is a rolla a rex driver would tell ya... and you can say... yup that's it... a rolla is a rolla that's why you can't get over why you got burnt by one... :D

at the end of the day if i had the cash id do it for sure just to see the look on peoples faces when ya burn em in a turboed stivo.lol

plus ya cant just go buy em like that so the upgrade would be original.not like the wrx and xr6 turbo that anyone can have.

if you wanted a reliable turbo sportivo, you will need a lot more than the contents of that kit. Especially when the boost bug bites.

The turbo ZZE corolla we'll be doing shortly will have more power than that kit delivers, and will cost under the price of that kit. It will also be very thrashable.

It wont have a pretty sticker to go with it though :P

Edited by rollamods

not worth it,

1. still new and will cost heaps

2. no one is aware of problems this may cause

3.running and mantaining cost

4.insurance - how much you willing to pay

5. will need more parts that whatis inclused

If you got the money to spend, then go ahead why not, but for the average person your better of getting something else that comes stock with tubo simply because quality is guranteed and warraty covered. XR6 turbos are dominating the turbo car market. Of couse we would all love to see somehting diffrent like a stivo but i guess you will have to wait a few years :)

Hi Blade,

If u r really considering this do your research dude as stated the kit itself will simply turbo ur car but there are more elements outside the kit which im not to sure how they will hold up once its turbo'ed.

Its not a bad thing this but there are better ways to spend 8K on the stivo

cheers

Bill

not worth it,

1. still new and will cost heaps

2. no one is aware of problems this may cause

3.running and mantaining cost

4.insurance - how much you willing to pay

5. will need more parts that whatis inclused

If you got the money to spend, then go ahead why not, but for the average person your better of getting something else that comes stock with tubo simply because quality is guranteed and warraty covered. XR6 turbos are dominating the turbo car market. Of couse we would all love to see somehting diffrent like a stivo but i guess you will have to wait a few years :)

worth it.

1. New and a weapon

2. Everyone knows what to look for when turboing a car. Or else why do it if noone knew?

3. Running and maintaining costs comes down to driver and how the car is driven, same as if you had a subie/xr6T/skyline/s13/s14 etc etc.

4. Insurance again same as if you had any turbo car, if anything more for a Subie due to high rate of getting jacked.

5. Parts would be cheaper. e.g. if you had a standard subie turbo you would wanna change everything from boost controller to turbo to front mount etc etc. Turboing a stivo - well it wasn't turbo before and its turbo now so ur buying the gear once. Subie $40k or so + mods $10k, Stivo $30k + mods $10k, plus the stivo would whoop *****!!!! you do the figures......

stock subie would get blitzd by a turbo stivo.

also more can go wrong with a subie than a stivo. :)

ask any toyota owners.

Edited by StylinBlackRollA

I'll have to disagree with you there.

The 6-speed will break if you're putting out enough power to beat a stock rex, especially if you install a LSD and decent clutch (which are required if you even hope to get near a well-driven stock rex.)

I'll have to disagree with you there.

The 6-speed will break if you're putting out enough power to beat a stock rex, especially if you install a LSD and decent clutch (which are required if you even hope to get near a well-driven stock rex.)

The box will only break if driven improperly. Having had a turbo car and knowingly not to dump clutches and slamming gears you know how to drive. It will last as long as you drive it properly.

Subie's don't have the strongest gearboxes and if driven hard it will break.

Mate has a my98 replaced 2 dog boxes already because he does dump and slam. (never learns)

Toyota has decent gearboxes and stivo's being the car that they are (sports) toyota would of made sure they have a strong box. And yes you'll mention your turboing a stivo.... well like i stated its how its driven. It just won't break because u turbo the car... Ask anyone who owns a turbo car they all know.

If its any consolation its not hard to beat a stock rex. e.g. MR98 lancer 1.8lt with a subie turbo and intercooler no internal mods just heavy duty clutch. Smashes stock rex's. With stock gearbox.

Edited by StylinBlackRollA

Hehehe no man, when I said it was worthy, I didn't mean I will do it, I don't have any mods on mine.......... except a sports grill :P. Im 30 years old man, my days of modding stopped when I sold the Mini :).

Hi Blade,

If u r really considering this do your research dude as stated the kit itself will simply turbo ur car but there are more elements outside the kit which im not to sure how they will hold up once its turbo'ed.

Its not a bad thing this but there are better ways to spend 8K on the stivo

cheers

Bill

I flogged the crap out of my modded 5-speed rex for four years straight and it never had a problem with the box. I used a stock clutch though.

I've seen a lot of C series toyota boxes fail (same family as the sportivo 6-speed)

For a box that will take all the abuse you can throw at it, mod the bellhousing on an E58 from a GZE and use a custom clutch to mount it to the ZZ motor, then you get a box and shafts that can take a decent amount of abuse (400hp ATW is fine)

I flogged the crap out of my modded 5-speed rex for four years straight and it never had a problem with the box.  I used a stock clutch though.

I've seen a lot of C series toyota boxes fail (same family as the sportivo 6-speed)

For a box that will take all the abuse you can throw at it, mod the bellhousing on an E58 from a GZE and use a custom clutch to mount it to the ZZ motor, then you get a box and shafts that can take a decent amount of abuse (400hp ATW is fine)

what model rex? flogging and trashing a car doesn't mean you dump clutches and slam gears.... you can be a spirited driver and yet retain a good shifting skill.