Air intake

TRD218

Hi guys

I am looking at changing my Air Intake on my TRD, i am just wondering what is the best thing to do.

Also if there is anything else u guys can think of to get more power out of my car that would be a big help.

Thanks

You have to custom make one. The intakes available for the N/A Aurion do not fit the TRD properly. Being in Brisbane, I would highly recommend CES. Otherwise, you can do what I have done and Frankenstein one:

P1090602.JPG

As for getting more power, you can try your luck with an Xede ECU piggyback, otherwise, about the only other thing you can do without spending a large sum of money is to fix the y-pipe exhaust merge at the front of the car. Once again, I would suggest CES.

You have to custom make one. The intakes available for the N/A Aurion do not fit the TRD properly. Being in Brisbane, I would highly recommend CES. Otherwise, you can do what I have done and Frankenstein one:

P1090602.JPG

As for getting more power, you can try your luck with an Xede ECU piggyback, otherwise, about the only other thing you can do without spending a large sum of money is to fix the y-pipe exhaust merge at the front of the car. Once again, I would suggest CES.

alright man thanks for the help

DJ, for some reason i thought you was running a CAI in the TRD?

After all the unavoidable driving I have had to do over the last couple of months, a CAI is definitely out of the question. It gets dirty enough in the engine bay. Glad I didn't go that option. As well considering I had no choice but to drive though some water the other day.

DJ, for some reason i thought you was running a CAI in the TRD?

After all the unavoidable driving I have had to do over the last couple of months, a CAI is definitely out of the question. It gets dirty enough in the engine bay. Glad I didn't go that option. As well considering I had no choice but to drive though some water the other day.

yeah that's a fair point, so with your experience on both the 2GR-FE and 2GR-FZE is there any performance gain to be had by using the K&N or fujita systems or is it purely just for a nicer note?

Also do you have any heat sink issue with your set up since your note running any sheild on this set up?

... so with your experience on both the 2GR-FE and 2GR-FZE is there any performance gain to be had by using the K&N or fujita systems or is it purely just for a nicer note?

2GR-FE : K&N Typhoon provided no gain (regardless of external temperature) when compared to a stock intake with the snorkel removed. The snorkel think I am referring to is that curved piece of plastic that joins up to the section above the radiator. I don't entirely think removing the snorkel in the first place provided any gain if I was to give my personal opinion.

2GR-FZE : Same as above statement, however removing the snorkel on it's own I believe provided an initial gain. Prior to removing it, under WOT at high revs you could actually hear the restriction. Changing from that setup to the intake I have (not a properly designed one though) did not make any further difference.

That said, the 2GR-FE sounds wicked with an intake. The FZE doesn't have as deep of a roar, but the S/C likes to scream a little.

I can't comment for the Fujita kit though if that makes any difference.

Also do you have any heat sink issue with your set up since your note running any sheild on this set up?

Haven't noticed anything that I can measure by feel. I do notice the effects on hot 35 degree + days though, but this is more from extra heat produced by the S/C.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a NOS kit yet...?

Things like that aren't exactly popular here in Australia. The Fast and the Furious craze didn't last too long.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a NOS kit yet...?

Things like that aren't exactly popular here in Australia. The Fast and the Furious craze didn't last too long.

aren't they illegal here though?

... so with your experience on both the 2GR-FE and 2GR-FZE is there any performance gain to be had by using the K&N or fujita systems or is it purely just for a nicer note?

2GR-FE : K&N Typhoon provided no gain (regardless of external temperature) when compared to a stock intake with the snorkel removed. The snorkel think I am referring to is that curved piece of plastic that joins up to the section above the radiator. I don't entirely think removing the snorkel in the first place provided any gain if I was to give my personal opinion.

2GR-FZE : Same as above statement, however removing the snorkel on it's own I believe provided an initial gain. Prior to removing it, under WOT at high revs you could actually hear the restriction. Changing from that setup to the intake I have (not a properly designed one though) did not make any further difference.

That said, the 2GR-FE sounds wicked with an intake. The FZE doesn't have as deep of a roar, but the S/C likes to scream a little.

Haven't noticed anything that I can measure by feel. I do notice the effects on hot 35 degree + days though, but this is more from extra heat produced by the S/C.

thanks as always for the info, i took the ZR6 to the motorsport shop today, was the first one they had looked at and didn’t seem fazed by it at all, seemed to think there is gains to be had by fitting the extractors and fixing the y bend, in fact they were quite keen to fix that and extend the fix right back to the flange on the resonator.. yep delete that cat completely... anyway there going to look into the options available form monkey wrench racing including CAI and come back to me but they didn’t seem to turned off by the sensors or how hard the task would be, they said some parts would be difficult but you'd be surprised at how easy modern cars can be to work on if you know what you’re doing and once you get right in there.. in fact there enthusiasm and lack of hesitation in regards to the fitting up changing and not tripping of sensors was actually i don’t know? Un-nerving when i have a fair idea from other guys on here that’d have fiddled that this power train can be a bit of a biatch to tweak lol. anyways see what they come up with but if anybody can get some good results without too much drama I’d trust these fella's everyday of the week!

Ide say at the bottom line an air filter is an air filter just some makes (i.e. K&N) can be a little better quality as well may allow some more air through the filter giving it a small gain (if any at all).

Either way don't buy cheap quality filters as i learn't the hard way on a road trip from Perth to Albany.... Pod came off on the way down and i didn't know till i stopped O_o (rubber point for the clamp had perished in less then 8 months)

Edited by METAL13

Does a TRD filter make any difference?

That orange coloured TRD filter that looks just like the OEM one.... sweet f*** all. Complete waste of money.

The cotton gauze oiled type TRD panel filter (like the K&N one).... I wouldn't be getting it hoping to get a gain out of it. About the only benefit I see/saw from it is the re-useably of it.

Does a TRD filter make any difference?

That orange coloured TRD filter that looks just like the OEM one.... sweet f*** all. Complete waste of money.

The cotton gauze oiled type TRD panel filter (like the K&N one).... I wouldn't be getting it hoping to get a gain out of it. About the only benefit I see/saw from it is the re-useably of it.

Thanks man. I was thinking of getting one when my one needs replacing. Guess I won't bother then. Huge thanks again as you saved me some $$ :D

thanks as always for the info, i took the ZR6 to the motorsport shop today, was the first one they had looked at and didn’t seem fazed by it at all, seemed to think there is gains to be had by fitting the extractors and fixing the y bend, in fact they were quite keen to fix that and extend the fix right back to the flange on the resonator.. yep delete that cat completely... anyway there going to look into the options available form monkey wrench racing including CAI and come back to me but they didn’t seem to turned off by the sensors or how hard the task would be, they said some parts would be difficult but you'd be surprised at how easy modern cars can be to work on if you know what you’re doing and once you get right in there.. in fact there enthusiasm and lack of hesitation in regards to the fitting up changing and not tripping of sensors was actually i don’t know? Un-nerving when i have a fair idea from other guys on here that’d have fiddled that this power train can be a bit of a biatch to tweak lol. anyways see what they come up with but if anybody can get some good results without too much drama I’d trust these fella's everyday of the week!

I think everyone would be interested if there is a way to get past the sensor thing + removing the main cat ( thought this was illegal) would be impressed with just getting away with removing both pre cats.

I think everyone would be interested if there is a way to get past the sensor thing + removing the main cat ( thought this was illegal) would be impressed with just getting away with removing both pre cats.

yeah they didn’t seem to concerned about the sensors at all, and to be honest when i looked around the place and some of the projects on the go I’m really not surprised, forester that’s had 300k dropped on it lancer EVO's everywhere getting tarmac rally prepped, BMW E39 (think it was anyway) 5 series 6 getting turbocharged which was neat as work. same place that takes care of White Hot Motorsports Targa Winning Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 Super Trofeo, Palmers "outlaw" powerboat, really the place to go for anything like this in Tas, but yes your right taking the main cat out is illegal so i will just get a "low profile" high flow cat put there instead to keep it legal :)