Aurion VS Dumptruck

mr_grumble2010

Driving to work this morning, pulled up to a set of lights in the right hand lane next to a dumptruck.

Lights went green, I took off normally, next thing I know, I'm being push sideways !

Idiot changed lanes without seeing me, claims he didn't see me in his camera's :angry::angry:

Anyway, after 15 months of being selective where I park it, cautious about anything that may mark the Aurion, it comes down to some tool who's too %$#@ lazy to use his side mirror.

Heading down soon to have it asessed at my local panel shop.

Obviously rear bar cover, door etc can be replaced, but how do they repair the thin section of the quarter panel between the rear door and the wheel ?

001.jpg

That really sux some of these idiots dont deserve to be on the road. I would say with the rear quarter they would possibly cut it and replace the section thats what they did to a car I had with similar damage. Good luck with it all mate hope you have no problems with the claim.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry to hear mate. Unfortunately you can take as much care as you can on the road, but it doesn't stop other idiots from not doing so.

As for how they will repair, drepending on their abilities, you will find it will probably be a combination of panel beating and body filler. I had someone t-bone be some time back (refer here) and was surprised they were able to straighten it all out. Mine wasn't as serious around that area, but same idea I guess.

As for how they will repair, drepending on their abilities, you will find it will probably be a combination of panel beating and body filler. I had someone t-bone be some time back

The thought of body filler doesn't thrill me, however up till now not much of this event has thrilled me. New cars never feel the same after they've visited the panel shop :(

The claim shouldn't t be a prob. The other guy was accepting of blame at the time, so unless he suddenly becomes creative with the truth, there shouldn't be a prob.

Between $8-10k damage.

Apart from the obvious damage, wheel / Tire to be replaced as well as the alignment of the wheel is out.

The thin section of the rear quarter panel I was concerned about will be replaced as the entire quarter panel (which extends up and over both front and rear doors), so thankfully no bog required :clap:

Whilst the guy at the time took responsibility, the company he works for called me this morning asking for my account of events.

Seems the truth either by him or his employer has now been a little misaligned with what actually happened.

They wouldn't divulge their view of what happened, just that "Your (mine)story doesn't match that of our drivers".

Let the damage speak for itself, surely any asessor worth his weight should be able to tell by the damage that I was run into and not the other way around ???

Between $8-10k damage.

Apart from the obvious damage, wheel / Tire to be replaced as well as the alignment of the wheel is out.

The thin section of the rear quarter panel I was concerned about will be replaced as the entire quarter panel (which extends up and over both front and rear doors), so thankfully no bog required :clap:

Whilst the guy at the time took responsibility, the company he works for called me this morning asking for my account of events.

Seems the truth either by him or his employer has now been a little misaligned with what actually happened.

They wouldn't divulge their view of what happened, just that "Your (mine)story doesn't match that of our drivers".

Let the damage speak for itself, surely any asessor worth his weight should be able to tell by the damage that I was run into and not the other way around ???

Might not have been his first incident and after realizing his job may be on the line has altered the events slightly. This is why if I can't catch the incident on video, I always activate a voice recorder (even if it's just my phones built in one) when talking to the other party. Has helped me many times.

I'd also make an official Police report, so at least you can get your story down with an unbiased third party.

Since you lodged your claim with your insurance company, I'm not so sure the other driver's insurance company is supposed to contact you. As far as I know, that's one of the reasons you tell your insurance company everything (other than the claim bit).

I have a good local panel shop that in the past have done excellent work for me, so I'd like to think that it'll come back as good as new :unsure:

That get's me thinking....

Should it not come back as good as new, what's my position then ?

Lets just say, the repairer do their best and it just doesn't come back to orig cond for whatever reason.

Do you think I could push for compensation of sorts ??

Most insurers offer lifetime warranty on repairs so if its not to your satisfaction they have to fix it untill it is. I had a Hyundai Excel that got hit in the rear quarter and it was replaced, I was concerned it wouldnt look original but to my surprise it was perfect you wouldnt have know it was caved in so there is hope :lol:

Good luck with it all mate

Peter

Well one of the things you learn when truck driving is your mirrors are the priority feature on the truck....

You legally in WA need to check your mirrors at a time of...

- before braking (both sides)

- Turning into a turning pocket (both Sides)

- Reversing (not allowed to turn your body and look out the rear window because its an Instant Fail on Driving Test)

- And when driving around every 10 seconds / 100 meters you should check both mirrors and see where traffic is.

Basically, as you drive your forever looking at your mirrors (all 4 of them)

that driver obviously has a weeties licence :blink: !

Lets just say, the repairer do their best and it just doesn't come back to orig cond for whatever reason.

You cant really seek for compensation, An accident is pretty much an Accident..

You can complain to the insurer and take the car back to the bodyshop and get them to fix it or even replace the part with new one until it meets your satisfied. :)

I have a good local panel shop that in the past have done excellent work for me, so I'd like to think that it'll come back as good as new :unsure:

That get's me thinking....

Should it not come back as good as new, what's my position then ?

Lifetime wty on repairs does come in handy...i had some hail repairs done a while back and have just noticed a very small clearcoat peel on the bonnet,called into the panel shop that did the repairs and without even having to contact my insurer they said they would redo the bonnet under warranty,seems they didn't want me to contact my insurer so i'm thinking that they would rather keep it inhouse and not let there potentionally largest customer/supplier of work know of there faulty/sub par workmanship,the panelshop owner was very adamant that i didn't need to contact my insurer and that they would take care of it.

btw i'm insured with Shannons

anyway good luck with the repairs mate...i feel your pain :(

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread...I've got nothing to do so was trawling through the forums.

Grumble, how are the repairs coming along?

I'd also make an official Police report, so at least you can get your story down with an unbiased third party.

Secondly, and I'm not having a dig at you Steve, but just wanted to provide a bit of an insight. In this instance, there would be no point in filing a Police report. There were no injuries, details were exchanged and parties are insured (even if parties weren't insured it still wouldn't meet the requirements for a report).

Reporting the collision just to formally have your side of the story taken down to support an insurance claim is not what Police reports are about. If the matter was reported, Police would have to question the driver of the truck also. In a case where there are conflicting stories (and chances are there will be if the truck driver has already lied to his employer) and there are no independent witnesses, then Police will, most likely not be able to determine who was at fault.

Not to mention the fact that we pay insurance companies hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a year and what do we get back from them? Nothing! Insurance companies employ accident investigators/assessors for this exact reason, they should be utilised in the first instance.

Anyways, just some food for thought.... :D

In this instance, there would be no point in filing a Police report. There were no injuries, details were exchanged and parties are insured (even if parties weren't insured it still wouldn't meet the requirements for a report).

This may depend on the insurance company. After my accident I was told by my insurer ( cant remember which one ) to go to the police station and report the incident and get an incident number to give to them even though the guy that hit me had already been in contact with his insurer an supplied me with a claim number. There was no one injured and we both drove away, although only just in my case but they still insisted on the incident number not sure why really.

Sorry to drag up an old thread...I've got nothing to do so was trawling through the forums.

Grumble, how are the repairs coming along?

Secondly, and I'm not having a dig at you Steve, but just wanted to provide a bit of an insight. In this instance, there would be no point in filing a Police report. There were no injuries, details were exchanged and parties are insured (even if parties weren't insured it still wouldn't meet the requirements for a report).

Reporting the collision just to formally have your side of the story taken down to support an insurance claim is not what Police reports are about. If the matter was reported, Police would have to question the driver of the truck also. In a case where there are conflicting stories (and chances are there will be if the truck driver has already lied to his employer) and there are no independent witnesses, then Police will, most likely not be able to determine who was at fault.

Not to mention the fact that we pay insurance companies hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a year and what do we get back from them? Nothing! Insurance companies employ accident investigators/assessors for this exact reason, they should be utilised in the first instance.

Anyways, just some food for thought.... :D

Being a former QLD Police Officer who has taken dozens of traffic reports of varying degrees of seriousness and complexity, as well as having been personally subpoenaed for evidence by insurance companies on multiple occasions, I do happen to have more experience in this area generally.

True both parties were present, insured and details explained. Although there are legal requirements as to when a traffic report MUST be made to the Police, there is no harm in having one made anyway and many insurance companies actually send people to the Police for a report regardless. The reason? Mostly cost saving to the insurance company, and they're essentially getting the Police to do there job and investigations for them. However there are also benefits to the the driver of the involved vehicle as well. I have on more than one occasion interviewed a Driver at the site of an accident, only to have them concoct a story later (with the assistance of their or their insurers lawyers) that saw their version in a different light which makes them appear not at fault. Fortunately for the true victim I was able to supply recordings and documents I had made at the time that saw the other guys new story fall to pieces.

The benefit in these situations isn't so much as determining who's at fault, but getting the versions of all parties and witnesses recorded at the time or as near as possible which makes it difficult for them to change their stories later. This as a result can save having to appear in court at a later time as a witness as the first thing insurers do when facts are contested is to make a claim for a copy of the Police report (if one was made).

Thanks for the food, but I'm not hungry :)

I never intended on filing a Police Report on the incident because the damage was relatively minor and nobody was injured.

Our local panel shop here on the Central Coast have been great so far.

They along with CMT rentals fixed us up with a nice little 'A' Class Merc whilst our car was in the panel shop.

Other party were found to be responsible, so the claim went through nicely, they even get billed the $250 / day rental costs on the Merc for 3 weeks :spiteful:

We're due to pick it up next week hopefully. Feeling very nervous, don't want to see ANYTHING out of place, no mismtch paint, no ripples, nothin. Wondering whether I'm setting myself up for a fall here :huh:

Anyway, when she's returned, I'll post the outcome, till then I have to put up with the Merc (as gutless as it is)

I never intended on filing a Police Report on the incident because the damage was relatively minor and nobody was injured.

Our local panel shop here on the Central Coast have been great so far.

They along with CMT rentals fixed us up with a nice little 'A' Class Merc whilst our car was in the panel shop.

Other party were found to be responsible, so the claim went through nicely, they even get billed the $250 / day rental costs on the Merc for 3 weeks :spiteful:

We're due to pick it up next week hopefully. Feeling very nervous, don't want to see ANYTHING out of place, no mismtch paint, no ripples, nothin. Wondering whether I'm setting myself up for a fall here :huh:

Anyway, when she's returned, I'll post the outcome, till then I have to put up with the Merc (as gutless as it is)

Nice another person from the Central Coast on the forum, good to see :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been almost 4 weeks since it happened and finally got her home last night.

Went over it with a fine tooth comb and the repair itself seems to be very high quality, nothing out of place and paint matches perfectly.

Only down side, is the rest of the car is now covered, bumper to bumper in overspray :g: and the interior leather is coverd in dust.

Going back down Tuesday for clay blocking (2nd time since I've owned it !!)

That sux it should have been fully detailed after the repair to remove all the overspray and dust from the interior. Should take it back and get the repairer to fix it :yahoo:

It is going back to the repairer.

Usually a full detail is all part and parcel of their service.

The exterior had been washed (very quickly by the look of it), however the interior was covered in dust and you would think a quick check for overspray would be done on every car prior to being picked up ?

Just as long as the repair itself was done well, the rest can be sorted next week.

Any idea how to rid the paint smell inside the car ?

I used to enjoy the leathery smell inside and now it's an overwhelming paint smell.

The wife sometimes puts a bowl of baking soda inside the fridge when there's an unwelcome smell inside, something about the baking soda absorbing idiots. Wonder if that's worth a try ?