Road tar?

DJKOR

Here is a question out to all the cleaning fanatics out there. I have attached a macro photo of the issue I have come across. Basically I would like to know if any of you guys have come across this before and if so, what exactly is it and what's the most effective and least abrasive way of removing it. I suspect it is road tar, but could it be something else? I never really remember getting such a thing on my last car, so it kinda puzzles me as to where it comes from.

I pretty much always get it on the sides of my car splattered all over the place and it is usually after a few days of rainy periods. No matter now recently I had waxed the car (could have been only 24 hours prior to the rain), this stuff still sticks to the paintwork and doesn't come off after a normal wash. Even claying it isn't as effective as removing it.

Basically I have been removing it with a microfibre buffing cloth wrapped around my finger and applying pressure to the spot to rub it off. As you could imagine, this process takes some time and it is really frustrating.

Basically I want opinions on what can remove it with ease without being harmful to the previous wax later. Bug and Tar remover... or is that harsh on the surface?

di-1613041283785.jpg

I would say its tar like you mention. Megs Gold Class Bug & Tar Remover works a treat, just had to remove some off the ZRE a few weeks back. Dissolves and easy removes it with minimal effort.

Ethanol should work too but not sure how well, also be sure to re-wax after you have removed the offending nasties, ethanol or metho will strip all wax off the area.

I hate when that happens - my method has been Ultimate Quik Detailer and elbow grease... The CT-18 truck wash actually works really well in this area too (and for bugs), but still a little bit of elbow grease required. The Meg's definitely won't harm the wax below (if anything it'll gloss the car up again) but the CT-18 is a bit harsher and you'd probably need to re-apply the wax in that area, although I've used it on my front end and the water is still beading off so I don't think it really stripped the wax.

i live in heavy road works area and if its not a dusty interior thats annoying its definately tar spots like what you've got, as these guys stated bug and tar remover does wonders and a good wax usually means i dont have to redo it every month. ;)

Edited by KURIOUS_ST184

I hate when that happens - my method has been Ultimate Quik Detailer and elbow grease... The CT-18 truck wash actually works really well in this area too (and for bugs), but still a little bit of elbow grease required. The Meg's definitely won't harm the wax below (if anything it'll gloss the car up again) but the CT-18 is a bit harsher and you'd probably need to re-apply the wax in that area, although I've used it on my front end and the water is still beading off so I don't think it really stripped the wax.

CT-18 is good, I used to use that before I started real washing :clap:

CT-18 is good, I used to use that before I started real washing :clap:

Hahah damn you :lol: I swear my next house will have a proper lawn, although now I say that if that ever happens it'd be my luck that Bendigo would be on water restrictions again <_<

I've actually been using the CT-18 in a spray bottle lately, so I go to the car wash and spray it all over the front end and then rub it in a bit with my hand, rinse off and give it another go. Has worked really well at getting rid of all the bug guts, especially those suckers with the red guts that are really hard to get off. Such a pain though with the road tar etc when you have got a perfectly pristine car and you'll be coming back to it after doing the shopping or something and notice something it your door :angry:

hi Daryl,

try using some prepsol.. if that doesn't get it off then youre in trouble :P just remember to go over it with a wax/sealent to protect the area again.

Here is a question out to all the cleaning fanatics out there. I have attached a macro photo of the issue I have come across. Basically I would like to know if any of you guys have come across this before and if so, what exactly is it and what's the most effective and least abrasive way of removing it. I suspect it is road tar, but could it be something else? I never really remember getting such a thing on my last car, so it kinda puzzles me as to where it comes from.

I pretty much always get it on the sides of my car splattered all over the place and it is usually after a few days of rainy periods. No matter now recently I had waxed the car (could have been only 24 hours prior to the rain), this stuff still sticks to the paintwork and doesn't come off after a normal wash. Even claying it isn't as effective as removing it.

Basically I have been removing it with a microfibre buffing cloth wrapped around my finger and applying pressure to the spot to rub it off. As you could imagine, this process takes some time and it is really frustrating.

Basically I want opinions on what can remove it with ease without being harmful to the previous wax later. Bug and Tar remover... or is that harsh on the surface?

di-1613041283785.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I find turps works well to, however you will need repolish or wax, also keep turning your rag and make sure your rag doesnt get to dirty before replacing it.