Lowering Disaster?

batfink72

Hi All- i am just about to send this email to Toyota, Toyota Dealer, Pedders and Pedders Franchise...ive taken a few formalities out of it so it suits a forum..anyone got any ideas?

I bought a late (August) 2008 Aurion ATX approximately last September from CMI Toyota in Adelaide.

I am having issues still, that have been manifesting since that time and am yet to find a resolution to the problem.

I have two versions of the problem for your convenience- the short version (first), and the more detailed version if you want to read through it.

The short version first.

Short Version.

When i bought the car from CMI, I discussed my intention to have the vehicle lowered and I was told that it would not void warranty provided it was done bvy a reputable company. After about day 5 of owning it, the vehicle was lowered with Pedders Sports Rider springs only. From memory the effective reduction in hei8ght was around 25mm. The original shocks were retained.

I had an intermediate steering arm issue that was finally fixed by Peter Kittle Toyota after CMI Toyota couldnt fix it, however the car exhibited a substantial knocking from the front that has so far gone undiagnosed despite nearly a year of trying to correct it.

Pedders tried King Springs and eventually CMI advised that the shocks were at fault so pedders replaced them at my cost.

Peter Kittle replaced some further suspension parts (shocker heads?..cant recall) under warranty however that still didnt correct it.

Peter Kittle (PK) then advised that it was most likely the king springs being too hard- and to have pedders change them back.

This was done however the issue remains.

Toyota now advise that they cannot assist me until the car is restored to original which becjons the question- how much of a geometry and consequential force/dynamics change does the new shock/spring combination (and the king spring/shock combo and the sports rider/original shock combo) have on the travel of the suspension to manifest in this very noticable clunking during driving (over potholes or changes in surface) and spoon drains and driveways? The difference in dynamics from such a change should be negligible, but i am sure can be exhacerbated by incorrect or poorly fitted or selected combination of third party parts. I feel that this situation is unlikely though as pedders have years and thousands of instances to draw experience and empirical lessons from.

The issue is even more perplexing considering that Pedders head office report no such similar issues with the same vehicle, as do the local Salisbury Pedders- who have done several Aurions of same make/model and similar year?

..... Suffice to say that the car has been in and out of Toyota and Pedders now for a year trying to find this problem, cost me a set of shocks and loads of time- as it has for the others, and chronologically the result is the same- the problem still exists and hasnt been corrected.

The latest quote is that to restore the vehicle to original itll cost me just under $2000..which, coupled with the lowering in the first place, and the shocks, means that in dollars alone, going back to original is going to amount to over $3000.

That is a cost i hadnt accounted for when purchasing the vehicle- not anticipated and not exhibited in other aurions.my question would be why?, how?, and what can be done please?

I am hoping by copying the parties on this email we can have a dialogue about the issue and get it resolved please.

comments from the forum members are welcome!

seems that so far the "experts" havent been able to sort it....

post-21609-0-84106600-1312415600_thumb.j

post-21609-0-65539200-1312415610_thumb.j

Does the knock come from the front right or left when sitting in the drivers seat?

both- worse on the left

This thread might help out

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php/topic/24021-lowered-aurion-noise/page__st__20__gopid__458879#entry458879

wish it did.. the noise i have is mechanical..not rubber. gone the bump stops route already...no joy.

no worn bushes, nothing.

Ouch. That sounds pretty painful.

Honestly though, I wouldn't lower my car even if it were done for free. Sure, it looks good but it's just not practical for road driving.

I've seen too many idiots with lowered cars going over speed bumps or crappy roads too fast and ripping their bumpers off.

Honestly though, I wouldn't lower my car even if it were done for free. Sure, it looks good but it's just not practical for road driving.

I've seen too many idiots with lowered cars going over speed bumps or crappy roads too fast and ripping their bumpers off.

Not to mention the slowing down to a crawl as they do so, and the awful scrapeage issue when going up ramps in a multi storey car park. I feel for the guy behind the wheel when the bottom end is scraping all the way through while entering and leaving the ramps.

Once saw a chicky babe in a lowered civic get high sided on a ramp. Pretty funny really, cause the car was just teetering on the top of this ramp with wheels clearly off the concrete.:P

Edited by Beep Beep

Not to mention the "Zig Zag" crab maneouvre going over speed humps and having to slow down to a crawl as they do so, thus really pi$$ing off the other drivers behind them. :P

that'd be an issue if it was really low...which it isnt.

i mindfully had it rather mild-ly lowered. Not too low to be an issue, but lower than stock.

thats why this is so perplexing...it shouldnt change the dynamics much at all.