Need help, things aint fitting right

TRD468

Hey guys. At the beginning of the year i bought a head unit off ebay, and i realised that the clock/air vent didn't click in at the back. I left it until now and i was getting really angry and ****** off with how everything looked. There are gaps on the sides and a massive gap up at the top (where the clock is) I have tried so many times to fix this problem by re-adjusting the mounting plates on the unit and aircon unit itself, but it doesn't go high enough. Anybody who has installed one of these please help !!! what have i done wrong. :unsure:

post-22006-0-80490000-1313192247_thumb.j

post-22006-0-58002000-1313192264_thumb.j

post-22006-0-06522700-1313192281_thumb.j

post-22006-0-54633100-1313192293_thumb.j

The top gap has been seen on every car I've looked at, including my own.

If you are talking about the last photo. That is certainly not normal. But if you mean every car you've looked at that has that new stereo system then okay. But if you are talking about all aurions, stock or not, that's not normal.

The top gap has been seen on every car I've looked at, including my own.

If you are talking about the last photo. That is certainly not normal. But if you mean every car you've looked at that has that new stereo system then okay. But if you are talking about all aurions, stock or not, that's not normal.

Every Aurion at the Toyota national office (stock audio) has this gap, per the last photo. So too the hybrid Camry.

I know for a fact that the top gap on the air vent is not meant to be there, because when i had the stock radio in there it was flush and impossible to pull out. Would i need to customize the brackets so that i can pull the whole unit up more... it will only need a couple of mm. But thats besides the point, i measured the stock radio and my navi unit and they are both exactly the same size..... why doesnt it go back into its original position.. whats holding it back ? :unsure:

Edited by toyota pride

i for one have had this gap on the top from day one when i bought it off the showroom floor......

when i changed the stereo for the aftermarket head unit, gap was the same as before.....

seems as though it is normal.....maybe a fault on the production line.

Nothing is holding it back, It is like as if the vent is too short. You push it back as hard as possible and it just doesnt move any further. The navi unit it self has these hooks on the front of it which the vent grabs to.... that is what stops it from going back, but then you will have a massive gap in the front. To me, the brackets need to have bigger holes so i can push the whole unit up further which will make the air vent flush with the dash board.

AGREED.....nothing is holding it back.

When i changed head untis on mine, it went back as far as possible. If i was to push it back any further, there would be a huge gap at the front just above the head unit.....

it sits flush on top with the head unit.....seems like there is an issue with different btaches of vents fitted to the Aurion.

But the vent was sitting flushed with the standard radio. :angry: It should all go back together !! everything is the same size... i can't figure it out....

Yeah nah I’d be pulling that out and going again, it hasn’t quite gone in right and the top section with the clock and vents hasn’t quite gone in square or clipped in right, sometimes you have to be a bit brutal with the dash parts, almost to the point where you think you’re going to break something. :blink:

What is happening is the bottom part of the vent is hooked onto the top part of the unit and won't allow the vent to be pushed fully back into the dash. The only way i can push it back fully is by lifting the unit up, but i can't do that because the brackets won't allow me to. I think i may have to drill bigger holes in the brackets and remove the clips on the aircon unit to lift the whole thing up. This should allow me to push the air vent back nice and flush to the dash. What do you guys think? am i crazy to be fiddling with this or should i leave it. :unsure:

At least your hasn't got scratches and crap around the top.

Mine looks like someone (not myself) has scratched all the dash while trying to get the vents out.

Today i took my whole unit out (for the 9876543456787654th time) and i removed the brackets. I drilled the holes bigger so that i can position the bracket in such a way that the unit will move up. i also got out a file and started filing the slot where the clips for the aircon unit goes into so that everything moves up. I re installed everything and it made no difference..... <_< I still think the holes where the screws go into the side of the unit have to be bigger. This will allow me to pull the brackets down allowing the unit to go up. i have to admit it was alittle bit better but still far from my standards.

Lets see if i can fix this problem :spiteful:

Today i took my whole unit out (for the 9876543456787654th time) and i removed the brackets. I drilled the holes bigger so that i can position the bracket in such a way that the unit will move up. i also got out a file and started filing the slot where the clips for the aircon unit goes into so that everything moves up. I re installed everything and it made no difference..... <_< I still think the holes where the screws go into the side of the unit have to be bigger. This will allow me to pull the brackets down allowing the unit to go up. i have to admit it was alittle bit better but still far from my standards.

Next time the unit is out, why don't you try put the vent into the dash and see how it sits. You can also hook up the vent to the unit before you put both back into place to see how they sit. Perhaps it may all become clear then what is going on. It should not be that hard.

Next time the unit is out, why don't you try put the vent into the dash and see how it sits. You can also hook up the vent to the unit before you put both back into place to see how they sit. Perhaps it may all become clear then what is going on. It should not be that hard.

Hmmm i might try that out. thanks for the tip. :rolleyes: