Car black box recorder

Anyone uses a black box recorder thingee in their car? I found this website www.autoblackbox.com.au and it sounds like a sensible investment. Too many retards on the road these days, not using indicator, can't stay in their lane, cyclists, and the list goes on...

Thing is, they don't seem to specify what their products are made of. Not much use if it's made of plastic and gets badly damaged in a crash.

If you do use a blackbox, I would love to hear about your experience. What brand, if it's any good, price, etc. etc.

Ps. I did a quick search and didn't see any thread about this. If there is, my apology and feel free to close it down. Thanks all.

They sit inside the vehicle on your dash. It would have to be a decent crash if you were to destroy one - plastic or not. You can find these a lot cheaper at www.dealextreme.com ($70-$80). These are all good if the accident wasn’t your fault, but if you are to blame I would be hiding this pretty quickly to ensure your insurance company can’t get a hold of the video.

Interesting Fact - QLD police are finally catching up with the times and implementing similar devices in their vehicles which are activated once lights and sirens go on. Nothing like having video evidence. Shame they aren’t meant o partake in vehicle pursuits anymore.

the one on my track video in my signature is coming from those black box, as you can hear, the sound quality is bad, but they do serve the purpose of a black box..

Also, they put a circular mark to my windscreen like my GPS, so i don't use it because I don't want people breaking in..

I get it from ebay for $125 including delivery

Edited by ben yip

the one on my track video in my signature is coming from those black box, as you can hear, the sound quality is bad, but they do serve the purpose of a black box..

That's not really servicing the purposes of a proper 'Black Box'. A proper one will monitor your speed, acceleration/deceleration, GPS coordinates, etc.

• 4 months later...

Bringing back an old thread... :D

Being in the smash industry I see cases every week where customers have to pay for repairs they did not incur... As the number of unethical people increases, to avoid unnecessary headaches, I see car black box being my solution to my new paranoia :lol:

After doing a bit og searching, I currently have FineVu 300HD in sight, just wondering if people here have one and if yes, what do you think of it?

Not sure if this anything like what you were thinking of.

http://www.gpsinnovations.com.au/

These units are for live tracking of the vehicle it is fitted to. It will give exact location, details of driver behaviour, info about engine RPM and other vital signs like oil pressure and engine temperature, G-Force and some more.

The best thing is it plugs into the OBDII computer socket and is transferrable from vehicle to vehicle.

I don't know if there is an option for video feed but it may very well be possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered one the day i seen em on ACA! as a courier thru the day this is the best insurance investment yet.

http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68

I used it to prove me right time and time again.

I have mine hard wired now on a manual switch, this allows me to have it on when im not in the car!!!! it's very very freaky to go thu the 14meg files of a day and see some crack head junky look thru my front window @ my navman!!!

It uses NO power at all and noway days i even leave it on over the weekends recording my hoon neighbours dealing pot and doing burnouts in the street out front! LOL Schmucks! it all gets emailed to ACA :P

I brought the base model and its perfect. But the better ones do record speed etc and ive brought and intalled 2 of them for mates.

http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

They are made of plastic, but well built and solid little units. all the onese i got come with a 4g card which is enuf for a full days work.

They are easy as to install and run.

I WILL eventually get one for the aurion, specially since it's less then a year away before i turn it over to the son for his first car,

It's a blast looking over a full 10 hour day of driving.... even the things you miss!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I know my last post was a bit off the mark but I now have a newly released product for you all to feast your eyes on.

This has been released in the last couple weeks and for a introductory price of $308.00 inc GST one can be yours.

This is what they will cost for me to purchase so I am not going to make a profit from them.

You will receive a new unopened kit with all the attachments pictured along with a legitimate tax invoice.

Please let me know if anyone is interested. I believe this unit will retail for about $515.00.

If you are not in the Brisbane area there will be a $17.60 Toll airbag fee added to the invoice.

Payment can be made by direct bank deposit or by Visa or MasterCard which I will personally enter then destroy the card numbers when done.

Please let me know if anyone is interested

SVSCDR2.pdf

I am unsure of the cost but these guys sell similiar Black Box type recorder and they all use them as well.

www.DVExperts.net/smarty

I have changed to use http://www.globalsat...oduct_cnt_id=78

Features Google Map logging, updated every second

G force logging

speed calculator based on calculating latitide and logtitude every second

buy it for 170 aud in Taiwan, ebay sell it for 188

also got unlimited length on one video during export to AVI

http://www.youtube.com/user/TWGSat

Video quality is still not as good as I expect.. still having problems in reading license plate

This kind of device can be found on every taxi in Taiwan.. the cheapest one I see in around 100 AUD

Edited by ben yip