diy rear badge gone wrong

ptagna

hey guys , some time ago i removed my rear toyota badge and decided to spray it matte black. and to put it on back on i used some epoxy to stick it back on .

being scared that the badge might fall off i used some sticky tape to hold it. but when i removed the sticker tape the paint came off it as well <_< .

so i decided to put some sticky tape around it and spray the badge while its on my car and missed to sticky tape some bits in between the badges.

now at the moment in the middle of the toyota badge theres bit of matte black overspray -.- .

my question is how would i remove the badge ? heat gun and pill it off?

also how would i remove the overspray ? sand it down and cut and polish?

thanks in advance guys !

hey guys , some time ago i removed my rear toyota badge and decided to spray it matte black. and to put it on back on i used some epoxy to stick it back on .

being scared that the badge might fall off i used some sticky tape to hold it. but when i removed the sticker tape the paint came off it as well <_< .

so i decided to put some sticky tape around it and spray the badge while its on my car and missed to sticky tape some bits in between the badges.

now at the moment in the middle of the toyota badge theres bit of matte black overspray -.- .

my question is how would i remove the badge ? heat gun and pill it off?

also how would i remove the overspray ? sand it down and cut and polish?

thanks in advance guys !

i'm sorry but let me say... LOL first. OK thats over and done with...

first what u can do is get a good quality cut and polish and a clay bar and see if u can get the over spray off... dont try and get the emblem of again. u will cause yourself alot of headf#$ks later on.

u can try the heat gun if u REALLY wanna take the emblem off but i think u'll deform the emblem before you can soften the glue enough to take it off.

laugh.gif

LOL

sorry, im with himura-san... the initial overwhelming action to lol was too great.

Not laughing at you specifically though, ive been there too, done stupid similar stuff its all part of learning! cool.gif

put up a pic sometime of it all cleaned up black, could be quite interesting ^_^

Good luck!

You have kind of made things a little difficult for yourself here if you want to remove that badge. One way or another, if you need the badge removed, just prepare yourself to fix the paint around and behind it. There is a possibility that this may get damaged. Heat would be your only option really and even still, it's not going to be easy.

You may just be better off leaving it on and using touch-up paint to correct what you need to unless you are willing to accept the damage that may occur to your paint underneath during removal.

What DJKOR said, if you take that badge off all the paint around and under that badge is gonna rip off with it. Take a photo and upload it so we can see what were working with. For inside the badge you going to have to get a fine brush and some touch up paint.

might just sand down the inside so its all smooth again, any recommendations of which sand paper ? how rough etc.

i was thinking of respraying it to gloss back (ill be more careful this time <_< ) should i sand down the badge again ?

was reading one of the diys before anyone in melbourne know where to get the plastidip thing ? or any better ideas to redo the badge .

also this is what it looks like atm :angry:

post-18244-0-48145300-1317697985_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

quick update guys.

just bought mothers clay bar and tried using it on the overspray but doesnt seem to work? what exactly does the clay bar do and how would you use it?

i tried it on grimes and it works perfect.

also i got meguiars scratch x 2.0.

was thinking of just sanding it down and using touch up paint to fix it up.

any tips ?

Edited by ptagna

Should of just bought a black Toyota camry emblem. If u wanna take that badge off, use a fishing line or dental floss. Then use 'De-Solv-it' citrus spray to remove the adhesive residue. Try using a bit of turps on a cloth to remove your overspray on the panel.

how are things going..? im scared for your car =S

haha yeah im scared too :( . i dont wanna touch it might just get a quote on how much to fix it up.

any clue how much it would costs :S

$100-$200 ?

Since its the whole boot panel... labour will cost an arm and a leg for you imo (thinking that the panel beater does it right)

If your in Melb i can do it for you. Just get the right rear badge for your car at Toyota as it comes with the double sided tape for easier mounting. I sand it back and put 2 coats of primer then 3 coats of matt black paint.

Heres how mine turned out.

post-10034-0-22099800-1319060981_thumb.j

If your in Melb i can do it for you. Just get the right rear badge for your car at Toyota as it comes with the double sided tape for easier mounting. I sand it back and put 2 coats of primer then 3 coats of matt black paint.

Heres how mine turned out.

post-10034-0-22099800-1319060981_thumb.j

i think he needs more than just the badge done definitely a respray on the boot

At minimum a touch up guy to come round, remove the emblem and do his job. Given the cost of them however, it's probably worth paying the extra for a complete respray.

At minimum a touch up guy to come round, remove the emblem and do his job. Given the cost of them however, it's probably worth paying the extra for a complete respray.

Yeh you never know they might be able to salvage it hope for the best just the epoxy scares me because once it sticks its stuck and its over some of the paint... if a touch up guy can do it i would be kissing his feet you will be a bit cheaper than getting it resprayed and less time consuming as you will lose your car for a fews days