Sportivo No More

.....mmmmm and isn't the monaro sold overseas as the pontiac GTO?

Yep, but i think they're made specifically for the big U.S market. They wouldn't need to convert the german model to left hand drive or make a few of them just for the small australian market when they can ship that few from japan ;) There was a big demand/interest for our monaro, hence they were made. If there was a big demand for the stivo (NA or supercharged), same will happen for us. Let's hope at least they can bring some in from Japan. I don't see why they won't since stivo sales have sky rocketed :)

It would be nice if they start bringing it in from Japan.

The Japanese are well reknowned for producing better fit and finish all round.

Not to say that the SA produced vehicles arent any good.

Its all done from a cost perspective I guess...

i heard that ther will be no sportivo replacement at all. However if they do bring a jap stivo i rakon it would be worth trading up to one of those. The south african build quality is pretty **** house.... :(

SA build quality is VERY POOR! The two left doors in my car rattle while listening to talkback radio (ie. not loud or 'bassy' music). A customer at my family's business is a Toyota testing engineer in Altona and comes home with great toys (eg: JDM 'Crown Royale' with a pre-production direct injection 230+kW v6). He asked with a smile on his face what I thought about the fit and finish of my Stivo. When I shared my disappointment he said it's a known problem and they "sent a QA guy over there", but there was so much work for him to get the quality levels up they had to send another representative from Australia to help with the workload.

I honestly trust that all car manufacturers know what they're doing and they're giving us the best products they can (or close to it) cos if they weren't their competitors would be and they wouldn't be competitive. That said, I'm sure Toyota know the profile of the average Stivo owner and I think they recognise that 141kW coupled to a 6-speed is more important to most of us than having artisans sculpt our dash to award winning levels of refinement.

When they stop the Stivo there'll be a hole in the market between the 'too small' Clio and the 'too expensive' Integra S for those of us who'll be looking for a practical "6speed screeeeaamer". I'm loathe to buy a 10year old turbo or anything that has a japanese manual, or the word 'grey market' associated with it. I guess I like warranty (a real one), low emissions, economy and the new car smell too much. ABS brakes are nice too (and saved my bacon last week).

• 4 weeks later...
I stepped into a Dealership on Saturday out of curiousity and enquired about a New Sportivo, I didn't mention anything but the salesperson immediately advised they received notice of a cease production of Corolla Sportivo's from SA, when I asked about the Sportivo's possible continued importation from Japan he simply stated he's only been informed of the cease production in SA nothing else.  He also went on to say they were a little mistified about it because it's a good seller for them.

The key word here is "cease production in SA". This may suggest that it will imported from someplace else, such as Japan or Thailand, ever wonder where the Hilux come from?

I also went to a few dealers, they suggest that the Corolla Sportivo will continue production, just sourced from someplace else. Also there would be two version, a stock version (as ours) and the Kompressor (on evaluation). My deposit has been accepted if it will be released. P.S. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

On another note the Yaris aka Echo replacement looks hot and also will feature a hot powerful sportivo version. http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_pa...5E21822,00.html

Yaris to replace Echo

Jaedene Hudson

The Daily Telegraph - 16sep05

Australia's biggest-selling small car, the Toyota Echo, is to be replaced by the oddly named Yaris.

The all-new model will be revealed in Australia at next month's Sydney motor show. The car is sold in countries throughout the world under a variety of names including Yaris, Echo, Platz, Verso and Vitz.

Toyota spokesman Mike Breen says the launch gave Toyota the opportunity to adopt the global name of Yaris. The move will enable Australia to fall into line with Europe where the car is also called Yaris. The Echo in the US will also take on the new name.

Yaris is a combination of the words Charis (from Greek mythology, meaning "grace") and Paris (alluding to style and sophistication). The new car is expected to come in revised versions of both the 1.3-litre and 1.5-litre engines and to carry over the same transmissions as the previous model. It will go on sale early November this year and is expected to be priced close to the cost of the current model, which starts from $14,490.

The Echo has dominated the small car segment for 27 out of 30 months. Breen says the company expects to sell more than 20,000 of the new model each year.

Wonder if it comes out with the crappy electronic throttle system?

Anybody see channel 9 news last night? they were showing the Maybach and the concept FJ Holden then showed the Toyota stand with girls dancing around a blue Echo... i mean Yaris!!! The info was right it looks like the name changing has started and maybe the end of the Sportivo Corolla will be the beginning of the RUNX or the T-Sport????? :blink: ;)

Any of you Sydney boys going to the show could maybe do a little digging perhaps??? ;)

Anybody see channel 9 news last night? they were showing the Maybach and the concept FJ Holden then showed the Toyota stand with girls dancing around a blue Echo... i mean Yaris!!! The info was right it looks like the name changing has started and maybe the end of the Sportivo Corolla will be the beginning of the RUNX or the T-Sport????? :blink:  ;)

Any of you Sydney boys going to the show could maybe do a little digging perhaps??? ;)

I knew we were onto something Brennden .... :P

If I get there I'll see what I can find out!!!

Thanks to my desire for an MP3 Player to take to England with me, I won't be able to join you Dylan.... :(

Hmmm I think they will need to find a replacement especially with the HSV Astra and the new Focus FP5...

Oh and I might add...I like my 10 year old GREY IMPORT TURBO MANUAL!!!!

I own the corolla for fuel economy, not to be a sports car...don't get me wrong I like the sportivo and have driven a few, and owned a couple of "hot hatches" but they will never be drag strip or track warriors without large sums!!!

I think toyota would be STUPID to not replace the Stivo, admitedly Nissan did not replace the SSS, but then again, it is part owned by Renault and they have the Clio Sport... :lol:

Unfortunately the guy at "Toyota" said they wont be bringing any in from Japan either...  :(  :(  :(

Will definitely try and ask some people when I go to the Toyota open day on Sunday.

Open day at Toyota on Sunday??? Which Sunday - 14/10/2005??? What time and place as I would like to come along, especially if it is in Melbourne somewhere...

Unfortunately the guy at "Toyota" said they wont be bringing any in from Japan either...  :(  :(  :(

Will definitely try and ask some people when I go to the Toyota open day on Sunday.

Open day at Toyota on Sunday??? Which Sunday - 14/10/2005??? What time and place as I would like to come along, especially if it is in Melbourne somewhere...

It's already passed... it was on 18th Sept.

...[sigh]... was it simply an open day at the Altona factory or something like that?

...[sigh]... was it simply an open day at the Altona factory or something like that?

Pretty much so from what i've heard yeah... :)

It was actually a really big event with about 18,000 visitors coming, with rides for the kids, showbags, tours, Kerrie-Ann Kennerly <_< .

It was actually a really big event with about 18,000 visitors coming, with rides for the kids, showbags, tours, Kerrie-Ann Kennerly <_< .

isn't it like that every year though?

isn't it like that every year though?

Well, yeah... but it was the first one I've been to.

This quote tree is big. How big? Big.

Edited by Otaku