2ZZE engine in MR2

negatron

hi all!

I know they use the 1ZZE engine in the MR2, but do they have a version with VVTL-i?

Would a transplant job for a 2ZZE into an MR2 be really pricey?

Yes, it would be pricey. You have to drive it hard to get your moneys worth :P Which would be scary :lol:

First off, to my knowlege there is no production mr2 with the 2ZZGE.

But in Japan this is a popular conversion. The 2zzge pretty much bolts straight into the MR, as it shares the same bottom end dimenisions of the 1ZZE (so ive been told).

Look at the 05 lotus with the 2ZZ-GE, it is also a midship. Lotus claims 0-100 around 5.5sec and the 1/4 mile in a mid 13. This car weighs a mere 875kg with a full tank of fuel. If you take the MR2 and are brave enough to drive it hard, i think its worth the cash to do the conversion - It weighs a little more than the lotus, and has the same drive train loss (minimal for RWD) and shares the same engine and gearbox. So i theory, it would hammer. I have seen a MRS in a best motoring touge battle demolish the Drift King's Tuned AE86 around corners and srtaight line speed (and for those who watch the best motoring series would know not many cars can beat Tsuchia in his Sprinter).

Cost??

Well, what do you need for this recipie?

These are estimates only (I was going to do this at one stage)

2ZZ-GE Power plant - 3.5k

6-Speed Trans - 1.5k

Labour (3 full days) - $90 per hour

This is my dream track car :D

hi all!

I know they use the 1ZZE engine in the MR2, but do they have a version with VVTL-i?

Yes, it would be pricey. You have to drive it hard to get your moneys worth :P Which would be scary :lol:

But in Japan this is a popular conversion. The 2zzge pretty much bolts straight into the MR, as it shares the same bottom end dimenisions of the 1ZZE (so ive been told).

Look at the 05 lotus with the 2ZZ-GE, it is also a midship. Lotus claims 0-100 around 5.5sec and the 1/4 mile in a mid 13. This car weighs a mere 875kg with a full tank of fuel. If you take the MR2 and are brave enough to drive it hard, i think its worth the cash to do the conversion - It weighs a little more than the lotus, and has the same drive train loss (minimal for RWD) and shares the same engine and gearbox. So i theory, it would hammer. I have seen a MRS in a best motoring touge battle demolish the Drift King's Tuned AE86 around corners and srtaight line speed (and for those who watch the best motoring series would know not many cars can beat Tsuchia in his Sprinter).

Cost??

6-Speed Trans - 1.5k

Maybe rollamods can answer this question?

There is also the K20C (S2000 motor) conversion into the AE86? I reckon that hammers too ;) Just not enough torque really, like the 2zz.

6-Speed Trans - 1.5k

Get a 1/2 cut and it will come with Engine, Grearbox, ECU + Wiring looms and Harnesses... would make the concersion smoother

This is my dream track car  :D

yes, yes it would... :unsure::unsure: :) :) :D :D

K20A has also been fitted onto MR2.

Lightweight is the key and MR2 is a good platform to start. I heard these days if you want to buy 2zz-ge lotus exige, it would be hard to get. So MR2 2zz conversion is another option with similar spec.

U may also want to get KAAZ super short ratio and final gear thrown in, LSD too.

It weighs a little more than the lotus, and has the same drive train loss (minimal for RWD) and shares the same engine and gearbox. So i theory, it would hammer. I have seen a MRS in a best motoring touge battle demolish the Drift King's Tuned AE86 around corners and srtaight line speed (and for those who watch the best motoring series would know not many cars can beat Tsuchia in his Sprinter).

Its still FWD drive train just mounted backwards :P Drive train loss is still 20%. But has less stress as it doesnt have a steer rack on it.

And of course it would have killed the ae86. that ae86 is only setup for 120/30kw@fly and has less torque!

• 1 year later...

Fwor! Imagine after the conversion you stroke it to a 2L 2ZZE.

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

I am considering transplanting a 2zz motor into my MR2, but also to stroke it. Anybody with knowledge on the stroking side? Heard one can use the 1zz crank, and then simply find rods with suitable length. This would assist with low end grunt.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

im trying to get rid of my halfcut 05 sportivo for 1500bux

including everything almost evreything u need?

6gearbox

engine

clutch

pedals

gear shirters

it doesnt sound like that much to do a conversion?

i have been trying to make a quick sale as i dont have the space for it.

• 1 month later...
hi all!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cost??

6-Speed Trans - 1.5k

are we talking about the MR2 spyder here???

if this is the case... keep the gear box! because the semi auto 6 speed(late 2002+ model) is pretty fun to drive around...

lotus uses the 2zze and the same gear box, but they super charged it.... thats where the 5.5 secs from

• 4 months later...

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

I am considering transplanting a 2zz motor into my MR2, but also to stroke it. Anybody with knowledge on the stroking side? Heard one can use the 1zz crank, and then simply find rods with suitable length. This would assist with low end grunt.

only thing bout that is it possibly wont rev as hard one of the traits of the 2zz is its a square bore the stroke is as long as the bore is wide which allows it to handle such high revs doesnt mean it cant be done though

• 2 weeks later...

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

only thing bout that is it possibly wont rev as hard one of the traits of the 2zz is its a square bore the stroke is as long as the bore is wide which allows it to handle such high revs doesnt mean it cant be done though

not totally true about not being able to rev as hard ...... the MWR stroker which utilizes the 1zz crank has many guys in the US sticking their rev limit @ over 8500 rpms

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

not totally true about not being able to rev as hard ...... the MWR stroker which utilizes the 1zz crank has many guys in the US sticking their rev limit @ over 8500 rpms

do they increase the bore size or just the stroke? wonder how much extra length of the stroke they get out of it

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

do they increase the bore size or just the stroke? wonder how much extra length of the stroke they get out of it

have u seen a 2zz bottom end ? there is no way that i think u could increase the bore size safely and still maintain the structural integrity of the block ..... below are some pics of my engine when it was getting built ... the first 2 pics are before the iron sleeves went in .... the last pic is when the sleeves were put in ..... as u can see not much to play with to be able to increase bore.

block_sleeveless1.jpg

block_sleeveless2.jpg

block_sleeved.jpg

$#&*^%#* RIPPER!

have u seen a 2zz bottom end ? there is no way that i think u could increase the bore size safely and still maintain the structural integrity of the block ..... below are some pics of my engine when it was getting built ... the first 2 pics are before the iron sleeves went in .... the last pic is when the sleeves were put in ..... as u can see not much to play with to be able to increase bore.

block_sleeveless1.jpg

block_sleeveless2.jpg

block_sleeved.jpg

i see what you mean mind you ive never pulled a 2zz down yet so i havent seen it first hand