TURBO KIT FOR A 2.4 CAMRY

TRD340

HI guys im thinking of turbo charging my 2007 camry sportivo (auto) and saw some turbo kits on ebay for only 2k posted i asked one of my friends who had a turbo gti proton and said that if i turbo my 2.4 camy it will be faster than a aurion so ok i need to know would there be any problems like oil leaks or any thing like that is it safe to turbo a non turbo car i am still thinking i dont want to blow up my engine my m8t said that if i run no more than 10 pound boost its fine any one with a turbo 2.4 camry plz need help :)

link to turbo kit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camry-Solara-TC-XB-2AZ-FE-2AZFE-2-4L-T3-T4-Turbo-Kit-W-Turbonetics-Turbocharger-/170725152445?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c00316bd

dont buy trust stuff off ebay, they will be missing parts

http://www.turbo-kits.com/tC_turbo_kits.html

or if you can find princesspeach's turbo.. on toyota nation for some info however it will be different because they're LHD and we're RHD and its more complicated than just bolting on a turbo,

A turbo camry may put out similar power to an Aurion, but I wouldn't put any money down on it being a faster car.

Chances are any kit you buy (whether it be the kit you've linked or ones that Jeffy have), nothing is ever bolt on and you'll need to make modifications/add/remove things as you go along. You can boost anything if it is done right but I can't comment regarding how much boost you can put in before things start bending/breaking/getting thrown.

You also need to factor in an ECU as you will need to have it tuned as the factory ECU will not handle the boost. Realistically, the project will be around $5k.

Sorry but your mate is clueless. The amount of boost is determined by many things, one of which is not "what he says". Your friend with the Proton isn't much better. As for the kits, dont bother, save $10,000 and take it to a shop and get it done properly, because in reality you wont get much change from that when it's all said and done.

Sorry but your mate is clueless. The amount of boost is determined by many things, one of which is not "what he says". Your friend with the Proton isn't much better. As for the kits, dont bother, save $10,000 and take it to a shop and get it done properly, because in reality you wont get much change from that when it's all said and done.

ok i'll go and get a quote from vince rigoli performance and see what his thoughts are on this project thanks for the advice :)

A turbo camry may put out similar power to an Aurion, but I wouldn't put any money down on it being a faster car.

Chances are any kit you buy (whether it be the kit you've linked or ones that Jeffy have), nothing is ever bolt on and you'll need to make modifications/add/remove things as you go along. You can boost anything if it is done right but I can't comment regarding how much boost you can put in before things start bending/breaking/getting thrown.

You also need to factor in an ECU as you will need to have it tuned as the factory ECU will not handle the boost. Realistically, the project will be around $5k.

ok i was hoping for 200KW atw

ok i'll go and get a quote from vince rigoli performance and see what his thoughts are on this project thanks for the advice :)

Be prepared for them to laugh at you though. Most won't even look at it without the cash up front.

Is there any reason to not sell it and just buy an Aurion?

1) dont buy parts off ebay especially for a turbo kit like that

2) Ive talked to the people who pioneered the turbo camry in the states. Both the 2az and 2gr

3) I know enough about turboing our engines, however I am not yet confident in regards to what i know so i dont want to spit out the wrong information. What i will say confidently is that even on stock internals are engines are built solid.

4) One of my mates from the states who was there when they pioneered the turbo in the 2az knows a fair bit. He knows the ins and the outs in regards to turbo. In actual fact his got a custom built turbo kit for sale. I can get him to list everything you will need to turbo the 2az successfully.

5) tune > everything

what i will say is i been looking at turboing the 2az for a while now. Though it appears doing a 2gr engine swap may be more cheaper and more reliable in the end (especially if you look at ebay now you can find some 2gr engines ready for some experimenting). If you can get the supercharger for the 2gr and do the engine swap..well great! Because i been toying with that idea and talking to a fair few people about it lately too.

Been trying to track down someone who has turboed the 2az in australia. From memory he lives in NSW too. Black camry

p.s; dont listen to your friend

pps; if you do ever turbo the 2az, i will come up to NSW and see it for myself.

Edited by private number

1) dont buy parts off ebay especially for a turbo kit like that

2) Ive talked to the people who pioneered the turbo camry in the states. Both the 2az and 2gr

3) I know enough about turboing our engines, however I am not yet confident in regards to what i know so i dont want to spit out the wrong information. What i will say confidently is that even on stock internals are engines are built solid.

4) One of my mates from the states who was there when they pioneered the turbo in the 2az knows a fair bit. He knows the ins and the outs in regards to turbo. In actual fact his got a custom built turbo kit for sale. I can get him to list everything you will need to turbo the 2az successfully.

5) tune > everything

what i will say is i been looking at turboing the 2az for a while now. Though it appears doing a 2gr engine swap may be more cheaper and more reliable in the end (especially if you look at ebay now you can find some 2gr engines ready for some experimenting). If you can get the supercharger for the 2gr and do the engine swap..well great! Because i been toying with that idea and talking to a fair few people about it lately too.

Been trying to track down someone who has turboed the 2az in australia. From memory he lives in NSW too. Black camry

p.s; dont listen to your friend

pps; if you do ever turbo the 2az, i will come up to NSW and see it for myself.

i will google the 2gr to c wat they come off and would the same gear box fit a 2gr?

Be prepared for them to laugh at you though. Most won't even look at it without the cash up front.

Is there any reason to not sell it and just buy an Aurion?

i had an aurion before some idiot drove in to it lucky i had insurance got paid out then decided to go for a camry sportivo i think they look better more of a jap look thats wat i think but the aurion had more power 6sp semi auto a much better looking cluster thats y i need more power of my 2.4 its just not doing it 4 me miss my aurion power

6dzklc.jpg

as far as i know, no one has accomplished the 2az to 2gr engine swap in the camry. Not even in the states.

And i agree with you KEF, the camry looks 10x better than the aurion

im planning that :whistling: as soon as i get $10000 (2GR-FZE) ultimate sleeperrr :spiteful:

as far as i know, no one has accomplished the 2az to 2gr engine swap in the camry. Not even in the states.

And i agree with you KEF, the camry looks 10x better than the aurion

im planning that :whistling: as soon as i get $10000 (2GR-FZE) ultimate sleeperrr :spiteful:

Sounds interesting.

Personally speaking, i think you need to add another 10k to that if you want the job finished Jeffy. 10k will get you the parts sitting in your driveway and thats it...

To the OP: I would also say that to do it, you'll need at least 6k. A good rule of thumb for value for money is $100/hp increase. Now I'll let you do the maths. :P And for that money you could as well sell the camry and buy an aurion lol or maybe even a trd aurion.

[edit] Actually you'll need more as you'll need to do the whole exhaust which from a proper exhaust shop will cost you like 2-3k just for that bit alone.

As said above dont touch those ebay turbo kits there thrown in cheap big time ,noting comes cheap if you wanna a proper build your looking at 10k for internal work ,if your looking at just a bolt on setup ypu will be still looking at 6-7k ,turboing a Camry involves alot of work but is possible,

best thing i would do is collect all the turbo parts that you need and you make your own turbo kit :) ,buy branded parts to be on the safe side hope this helps .

As said above dont touch those ebay turbo kits there thrown in cheap big time ,noting comes cheap if you wanna a proper build your looking at 10k for internal work ,if your looking at just a bolt on setup ypu will be still looking at 6-7k ,turboing a Camry involves alot of work but is possible,

best thing i would do is collect all the turbo parts that you need and you make your own turbo kit :) ,buy branded parts to be on the safe side hope this helps .

If you aren't going to throw massive amounts of boost at it (well, at least straight away), don't do the internals. It will prevent you from paying big $ up front.

$2-3K for an exhaust?? sounds like you need to find a new exhaust shop :P

To get the required parts fabricated by a shop up here it would be roughly:

$900 - Custom Steam-pipe manifold

$1200 - Full 3" mandrel bent Exhaust from turbo back

$800 - Kando Dynamic TDO6 with internal gate

$50 - Bosch BOV

$150 - Ebay spec cooler

$700 - 2.5" alloy pipework, silicone joins, cooler brackets & intake filter

$2000 - ECU + Install + Tune

$200 - Deutschworks fuel pump

$400 - new larger injectors (Denso or Bosch)

$300 - Oil and water lines

$100 - Sump modification for oil return

Then add the usual for better tyres/clutch/oil cooler etc etc.

So with about $10K budget it should just scrape in with labour and stock internals, that's a similar setup to what I did on Pipi's corolla.

It can be done cheaper using secondhand parts etc, but that's a basic rundown on what's required for a reliable setup.

Edited by CHA54
  • Like 1

$2-3K for an exhaust?? sounds like you need to find a new exhaust shop :P

To get the required parts fabricated by a shop up here it would be roughly:

$900 - Custom Steam-pipe manifold

$1200 - Full 3" mandrel bent Exhaust from turbo back

$800 - Kando Dynamic TDO6 with internal gate

$50 - Bosch BOV

$150 - Ebay spec cooler

$700 - 2.5" alloy pipework, silicone joins, cooler brackets & intake filter

$2000 - ECU + Install + Tune

$200 - Deutschworks fuel pump

$400 - new larger injectors (Denso or Bosch)

$300 - Oil and water lines

$100 - Sump modification for oil return

Then add the usual for better tyres/clutch/oil cooler etc etc.

So with about $10K budget it should just scrape in with labour and stock internals, that's a similar setup to what I did on Pipi's corolla.

It can be done cheaper using secondhand parts etc, but that's a basic rundown on what's required for a reliable setup.

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still toying with the idea of turboing my Sportivo.

I can do all the fabrication work myself, so it's not an issue. I have everything already.

What I still need to find is someone who can give me some idea into the ECU side of things.

Has anybody got any info about flash tuning the 2AZ ECU?

Would I require an Interceptor? Or full ECU replacement?

Know any workshops that have some insight into the Toyota ECU?

I'm still toying with the idea of turboing my Sportivo.

I can do all the fabrication work myself, so it's not an issue. I have everything already.

What I still need to find is someone who can give me some idea into the ECU side of things.

Has anybody got any info about flash tuning the 2AZ ECU?

Would I require an Interceptor? Or full ECU replacement?

Know any workshops that have some insight into the Toyota ECU?

not sure if this would help:2AZFEwriteup.pdf