Are K & n typhoon sri's and filters bad for the aurion?

lilbird

Hey Guys, i have purchased one of the k & n typhoon sri's for my aurion zr6. Since purchasing it i was taking to a bloke and he mentioned that i should be careful because they will let dust into the motor. Just wondering if any one on here has any experience with this or has an opinion whether this is something to be concerned about. I guess it just has me a bit concerned now as i don't want to end up with a dusted motor for the sake of having one of these installed on my car.

Thanks in advance

Braden

Old mate sounds like an idiot - the whole point of a filter is to keep dust and dirt OUT of the engine....K&N filters are traditionally oiled, as long as you don't let them dry out then there should be no problems whatsoever.

So what sort of maintenance is required to make sure the filter doesn't dry out too much? Re-oil every 6months? 12months? What has everyone else been doing? Has anyone that has one of these taken their pod filter off an rubbing the inside of the piping to see if theres any evidence of dust getting through at all?

K&N have a recharge kit which is essentially a cleaning agent and filter oil. I clean mine every 10000km as i have a spare filter and alternate them so there is no downtime.

I remember reading something about K&N, so don't quote me on it buy it was something like K&N not having the greatest filtration of filters out there. Something along the lines that do let through certain microns of particles.... however, these are not going to destroy engine and will most likely just pass through like it wast there.

I remember reading something about K&N, so don't quote me on it buy it was something like K&N not having the greatest filtration of filters out there. Something along the lines that do let through certain microns of particles.... however, these are not going to destroy engine and will most likely just pass through like it wast there.

Shiza!

If that is the case, what is my CCS SAAS branded one going to be like! :/

Be very careful with oiled filters and MAF sensors though. The oil can, over time, coat the sensor and act as insulation and affect the way the sensor reads, causing power issues.

if you wanted to be safe just oil the filter ever 10,000km and also clean your maf sensor at the same time. (you can buy maf sensor cleaner from places like repco)

There was a comparison test done ages ago that gets posted up almost any time there is a discussion about K&N filters etc, the K&N didn't exactly perform the best but it certainly was far from the worst (I think the 3A filters came out on top for both filtration and performance but it is a very easy test to skew bias towards a particular brand), and it has the added benefit of being an oiled reusable filter that saves money over the life of the car compared to washable dry or disposable filters, providing the servicing is done according to the instructions.

I use a K&N pleated gauze & oiled filter in my road bike.

The original fit is poor and leaves a great gap at the front. However, there's an easy mod to ensure this doesn't happen.

Any comparative research that I've read, had K&N down the list as far as filtration efficiency goes, but if the best is eg, 97% then K&N might be 94%. These numbers are off the top of my head...but show the scope of the diffference.

Importantly, K&N suggest it will filter better the longer it goes without cleaning. They should be reoiled periodically, and each 10K ks has been suggested above. I do it every 3-4K ks on my bike, also knocking any dead insects etc out from th pleats. It gets cleaned each 50K ks.

If I remove the airfilter and run my finger along the inside of the filter box, there is no dust residue at all.

Edited by boxerboy

Does changing over to an aftermarket air filter like K&N actually make any difference? I've used K&N in my landcruiser and it did make a bit of difference in terms of slightly better fuel consumption and responsiveness. However, this was for a diesel and being a high compression engine, the more air you can feed it, the better it runs. Hence the greater airflow provided by the K&N filter was of direct benefit. The OEM disposable paper filter usually installed as part of your regular service sucks balls.

The other thing about the 1HZ diesel is that it's as built tough as a reinforced brick **** house. The block is damn near unkillable.

For a low compression engine like the 2GRFE, I would've thought there's not much benefit to putting on an aftermarket filter, even if you supercharge?

I might be wrong, but I think putting aftermarket filters might not be the best thing for an already pretty sweet sounding and performing engine like the V6 in the Aurion.

Edited by Beep Beep

For cars such as the Aurion, I don't believe that using an aftermarket panel filter replacement such as the K&N will make any difference. I would even go as far as saying the Typhoon intake probably doesn't make a measurable difference. The main advantage you are getting here though is the benefit of reusability. With the OEM disposable filters costing around $30 each, a reusable panel filter can pay for itself in just a few filter change cycles (60,000 - 90,000km) depending your driving conditions.

The only real restriction in these cars is the intake snorkel component itself from the air filter box to the opening above the radiator. The snorkel tapers down from a relatively large opening to an opening about half the size. I personally don't think this is an issue on the N/A 2GR-FE however on the TRD, it does make a noticeable difference which you can hear at higher revs with WOT. But even then we are taking fractions of a second when the car is raced in controlled conditions.

K&N only have one type of oil (in two formats; aerosol and liquid) and typically sell it in store as a "Recharge Kit". The most common item is the aerosol version as it is the easiest to apply. Just hit up a Repco or any other automotive store and say you want a K&N Recharge Kit. They will know what you mean. It is about $20.

Does changing over to an aftermarket air filter like K&N actually make any difference? I've used K&N in my landcruiser and it did make a bit of difference in terms of slightly better fuel consumption and responsiveness. However, this was for a diesel and being a high compression engine, the more air you can feed it, the better it runs. Hence the greater airflow provided by the K&N filter was of direct benefit. The OEM disposable paper filter usually installed as part of your regular service sucks balls.

The other thing about the 1HZ diesel is that it's as built tough as a reinforced brick **** house. The block is damn near unkillable.

For a low compression engine like the 2GRFE, I would've thought there's not much benefit to putting on an aftermarket filter, even if you supercharge?

I might be wrong, but I think putting aftermarket filters might not be the best thing for an already pretty sweet sounding and performing engine like the V6 in the Aurion.

PS. Weren't re-usable high flow filters originally invented for dirt racing/offroading because normal filters tended to clog up with dust and dirt too quickly?