KABOOM the Stivo is dead....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dakota when i said computer i was talking about the car's computer. i know it records electronic faults but a few people have thought it could record and store a history of speeds and rev peaks.

i understand there is a national database. i also understand that access to it in the past was fairly easy but now toyota has greatly restricted access by employees.

but who performance modifies their car and has it serviced with the dealer? under warranty or not!

The sportivo's ECU cannot record speeds are revs. Many large commercial trucks are fitted with tachographs and the like to prevent drivers from trashing them, but i'm unaware of any passenger vehicles(in AUS anyhow) having such a device fitted.

THe blackbox is rumoured to be present in both american(GTS) and I believe australian celicas (2zz), In america it was used for gathering data about the final minutes of an engines running time (like the VT post above). It could and has been used to show evidence of mis-shifts and "thrashing".

With the guy who mis-shifted the celica here in sydney, the dealership looked up his "computer" and found the engine has revved to some crazy RPMs as a result of his shifting. He also was without a car for six months or so as they ordered special replacement parts from overseas.

I would imagine the sportivo, employing the same rev-happy engine would have the same black box setup. Its not really that hard, all someone has to do is ask the spare parts/service people at the dealership, Im sure theyd have more info..

According to the americans though there are varying stories on it, some people say the black box records all the time (well the remaining few minutes before engine shut down), others have said that the ECU only "writes" this data when an error/engine light or "CEL" warning for the american celicas, would light up on the console.

Logically it would be running at all times but like a planes black box it would be impractical to hold an infinite amount of data about the cars operations (where would it all go). It would maybe hold the last 15 minutes of data (just a guess but u get the gist of what i'm saying) and keep on writing over the data as it goes. Or it may even just hold maximum values. ie, highest rev u've got it to, highest speed etc.

No news today... I called the dealer but they didnt call me back.... I did call them at 5:27 but... :) Im startin to get used to this slushbox Camry, boring as hell but very easy to drive.. The foreman told me the ECU showed nothing out of the ordinary when I first dropped it off... If there was something that I should know about Im pretty sure they would have told me by now... :huh:

Logically it would be running at all times but like a planes black box it would be impractical to hold an infinite amount of data about the cars operations (where would it all go). It would maybe hold the last 15 minutes of data (just a guess but u get the gist of what i'm saying) and keep on writing over the data as it goes. Or it may even just hold maximum values. ie, highest rev u've got it to, highest speed etc.

was that a random guess? <_<

only reason i ask is some poeple have said (american) that the black box holds approx. 15 minutes of data.....

exec mate I sincerely Hope they help you out through this and you come infront, It sounds like youve been exceptionally patient hey.

if it were like a black box then what channels would it record? My guess is engine rpm, ground speed...what else? just these two figures would be easily taken out of context in investigations. for data logs to be complete, they would also need information such as throttle depression, brake application time and force, wheel alignment...etc. you get what i mean? i honestly don't think they could have crammed all that into this car without adding to the cost. and being the car that it is in the pricing range that it's in (under 30k and average of 8k cheaper than astra)

To log data that i mentioned you would need sensors. Can anyone find any extra sensors on their brake pedal or master cylinder?

How about the ABS sensors at all four corners? And the Throttle Position Sensor? With just those two and speed/rpm you could get a good feel for how much thrashing is going on.

Edit -- Just thinking about the stuttering before it died, was the oil pressure light coming on? If oil pressure was low it would explain hestitation in lift as the vvtl-i is operated hydraulically using the engine oil. It may well have been "un-lifting" above 6000rpm....

Well a grim picture has been painted for me... The Service manager called me today and asked if I could come down and have a look.. I looked and the list is pretty long...

Oil Pump ... :(

Crankshaft... :(

Most of the Exhaust valves... :(

Camshafts.. :(

Rocker Arms.. :(

Pressure Plate... :(

Flywheel... :(

And And And.... :o

Plus they are yet to open the Gearbox up and take a look...

Im sure this car is jinxed... Im sure I should have read the Karma when the battery was leakin battery acid all over the engine bay when I first got the car...

They said they will be speaking to Toyota to see if they can get them to supply a complete engine as mine is almost a total write off...

Geezus its a mess... All I can say is... I wish you Toyota buggers had listened to me in the first place...

Neways they are still being very good about it.. They reckon Im gonna be with out it for atleast 2 weeks...

Will keep yas updated..

Holy hell exec6speed! I would be p#$%ed write off. And as for seeing if they can get a new engine- i would be demanding one. You also mention the pressure plate and flywheel- excuse my ignorance but how did they become damaged?

You also mention the pressure plate and flywheel- excuse my ignorance but how did they become damaged?

I can only presume that the engine momentarily siezed or something... :o At the end of the day I just want it fixed... :(

Usually about anything above 4k RPM.. Crunch City if shifted to fast.... :huh:

The first time I reported it they reckon they adjusted the clutch... Didnt fix it though... Anyways... Enough of my whinging... Hopefully it will be spot on this time around... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats man. I'm glad see things are working out in your favour. You're going to have to break in the engine again! :D

As my grandfather used to say "avoid heavy LIFTING" hehehehe

with regards to the idea of sportivo's having "black boxes"......

.... these rumours are all coming from and have started in AMERICA. This is the same AMERICA which thinks that using a 5mm head gasket is a good way to turbo an NA car, the same AMERICA which said that a 2JZ-GTE was impossible to fit into an MA61, the same AMERICA which said that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, and the same AMERICA that started the idea of a "semi-forged" piston......

... i would be careful about ANYTHING that comes out of an americans mouth.

I agree. I'll try to avoid the policitical debate here and get straight to the point. I honestly don't believe there is a "black box" device in our cars as these days, you can't even put a camera in a pizza parlor without having to abide by some sort of ligislation/rule...etc

If our cars were to have black boxes it would be one of the first in Australia and i'm sure this would be all over the media. The implications of having such a device on our cars is just to great a deal to overlook.

my 2 cents.