How many K's before the water pumps give up?

So, after a real good service and a new clutch, my Sportivo is driving better than ever. However, with 215,000 on the clock I am wondering if many people on here have changed their water pumps before? I'm not going to change it, just something to keep in the back of my mind I guess.

Also, I know there's a timing chain in the engine, but what about the rubber / aux belts on the car? Is there any recommended k's that they should be replaced before they fail?

Cheers

Huh? It leaks out of a little hole before the water pump bearing so it doesn't seize on you, if you pressure test it you will see.. Also grab a stethoscope for noise? Or take your belt off and see if the noise goes away, if it does turn the pump by hand and see if it's notchy..

?

u dont sound very sure? LOL :lol: mines done 150k, my uncle could find a tiny bit of dried up water around the water pump, he said to keep an eye on it. 6 track days later its still fine :D

as a rule of thumb, same time as the belt :)

That's mainly to save on labour though, as to change the pump you have to take the belt off on a lot of cars.

Haha nah its not like that man. If u were wrong idea point it out :P but yeah just the way u replied made me doubtful :P question marks and all. But ur a mechanic so I think u would know more than me. ;) my belt started cracking at. 80000 so I just changed it then. hopefully pump will last another 80000 hehe

as a rule of thumb, same time as the belt :)

Replace pump when doing a belt? Huh

Are you thinking accessories Belt of timing belt :/ cause this is accessories belt

I wouldn't touch the pump till u see signs of a leak

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was leaking at 110k cost 260 to replace from a mechanic

That's cheap. I was quoted by Toyota $1,600 because the whole engine had to be taken out. Is this true?

Edited by william777

Are you for real !?!? No it does not..

All you have to do is take the mount bolts out, 17mm front and back, and the engine mount on the drivers side, you need to lower the engine to get it out, or lower subframe slightly.. I've done it in half an hour

Tell that dealer their cr*p

Mine was leaking at 110k cost 260 to replace from a mechanic

That's cheap. I was quoted by Toyota $1,600 because the whole engine had to be taken out. Is this true?

Not true , as 123R-Prozak said , thats all there is .

You dont even need the engine removed for the engine mounts to be replaced.. leave alone replacing the water pump.