Dyno Analysis

gallery_279_18_1126836629.jpg

I've been analysing my dyno results today trying to work out the whole torque issue at low RPM... my personal view is that it is not too bad but others feel that they have been ripped off in that department.

What I noted was this...

using the red curve as my baseline and the blue curve as the one with CAI

1) if you assume the max torque to be 180Nm for my stock curve, then the max torque for my CAI curve is ~187Nm

2) the max torque on the low cam @ ~4000RPM is ~170Nm stock and ~177Nm with CAI

3) @ ~2500RPM (the flat bit at the start @ 60km/h) there is ~160Nm for both

4) the to torque 'hole' @ 6000RPM drops to ~157Nm and that is with the CAI, without it is @ ~153Nm

now comes the tricky bit...

firstly for the Stock curve

@ ~2500 we have 88.9% of the max torque available to us

@ ~4000 we have 94.4% of the max torque

@ ~6000 we have 85.0% of the max torque available

For the CAI curve

@ ~2500 I have 85.6% of the max torque available

@ ~4000 I have 94.7% of the max torque

@ ~6000 I have 84.0% of the max torque available

Interesting analysis you have done here Blue_Stivo.

Its like i was saying sometime before - just by driving a car, how can you feel the difference between what is torque and what is power?

Basically it is the torque of the stivo that people diss, however like the article stated, and your dyno graph proved Blue_Stivo, is that the majority of the torque is available across most of the rev range.

However when you drive the stivo, it does pretty much feel "flat" until you hit those higher revs. The 1zz is no different. So is it really the power band that car reviewers should be criticising, rather than the torque curves?

Personally, the way i judge torque by things like: how easily the car holds speed when going up a hill with consistent acceleration.

Whereas when evaluating power, things like responsiveness and raw acceleration under full throttle come into my consideration.

because in shootout mode it makes no real difference if it's run in 3rd or 4th. 3rd gear keeps the speed within the limits of the guidelines set out for "shootout" runs.

FWIW, my car made 1kw more in 4th gear than it did in 3rd.

Here's a graph from your mates at Mercury to show the difference between 3rd, 4th and 5th on a stock 200sx

DIFFGEAR.GIF

Edited by rollamods

actually somone told me that 3rd gear in stivos are supposed to be better than 4th gear cus the 3rd gear is actually closer to the 1:1 ratio than 4th is

can any one clarify this or prove otherwise

cus i would like to know

cheers

Sportivo Trans Ratio

Reverse 3.250:1

Ratio 1 3.166:1

Ratio 2 2.050:1

Ratio 3 1.481:1

Ratio 4 1.166:1

Ratio 5 0.916:1

Ratio 6 0.815:1

Final drive ratio 4.529:1

From this 5th gear is actually closer to being 1:1 but with the top speed of 5th u might struggle to find a dyno able to get to such a speed. So definitely 4th gear is the way to go IMO .....

• 5 years later...

Wow now i am completely confused .... why does every one say the sportivo feels like it has no torque, to be honnest it doesn’t feel that tourqey to me , ( my understanding of torque is the feeling of being pushed into the seat)

Is it just because the sportivo doesn’t have much low end power (kw) ...... but then again isn’t power, torque x rpm ....... ehh i give up lol ;)

sorry to revive an old thread i am just so amazed how much % torque the car has at low rpm i couldn’t resist commenting ;P

P.S this just shows that car companies that advertise 95% tourqe at 2500 or 3000 rpm isnt that super spechial after all.....

Wow now i am completely confused .... why does every one say the sportivo feels like it has no torque, to be honnest it doesn’t feel that tourqey to me , ( my understanding of torque is the feeling of being pushed into the seat)

Just feels that way. 180Nm from 1.8L is pretty good.

Just feels that way. 180Nm from 1.8L is pretty good.

When your torque peak is as high up the RPM gauge as it is for a 2ZZ, you don't really feel it because the power and speed are dominating. Perfect example is the silvertop 20v 4AGE compared to a 7AFE - technically the silvertop makes more torque but the 7A will always feel it more, because the low torque peak means you can really punch it out of the corners without having to rev the rings of it.

Remember, power is torque * RPM * a constant, so cars with high power figures for their capacity either have high redlines or high torque production in the top of the rev range - motors designed for low-down torque (whilst they give you a good shove in the back down low) won't produce big power numbers because of the low RPM.