Camry Gen 5 Modded Headlights.

Defyant

Iv'e had these sitting around for a while now and had a spare few hours today so thought i'd do some experimenting with angel eyes.

The main light is massive.... 160mm across! that's a huge angel eye.... I had to special order them.. and they only came in

Warm White, Which means I have to de solder all the warm white LED's and Resolder Cool white LEDS.

Alotta work but hopefully worth the effort.

Anyways, did a quick mock up for a few shots. I plan on painting the inner housings Matt Black to cull a lot of the reflections.

Maybe a DRL and some custom blinker work as well as some shark gill type cuts on the sides.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

3/4 cut the big one :P

LOL can't really mate, the bottem is flat. It's got follow the original shape of the light.

Hrmm... That's quite interesting. I've hated how unwieldy the Gen5 lights are.

Looks good!

Cheers Mate

Your right mate, they are a bit all over the place style wise internally.

But i really like the over all shape of these lights still one of toyota's best efforts imo.

ooooooh !

Got ya thinking ay jeffy :D

Nice work ~ can you do up a 2005 Camry headlights later ^_^

It would be my pleasure John, cheers mate

If I got a set of Headlights for a ZRE152, would you give it a bash?

Do you mean these ones Pete?

DSC_4943.jpg

Ive always been a bit perplexed with these lights. I'm not sure what toyota was thinking... or if they were at all.

I'd need an epiphany before opening a set of these tbh .

But i'm keen to come up with something for em :D Cheers Mate.

Bit of prelim mockup design, Just using some thin cutout plastic.

Not the final design or size but shows the idea behind the "shark gill" accents and will be "back lit"

Not sure yet if i'll have the cut outs filled with orange perspex ( blinkers) or white for parkers.(simlilr to chris's modded mars lights)

1-28.jpg

Also possible adding a full lense for the blinker area. I think this will give a more modern look to the light.

2-28.jpg

3-22.jpg

Last but not leat , adding a orange tear lense to the very corner of the housing,

4-18.jpg

5-20.jpg

Original concept comes from the Very sexy Mc claren lights.

2-29.jpg

1-29.jpg

• 1 month later...

A small update,

IMG_2149.jpg

after a qik clean up

IMG_2150.jpg

Next hole

IMG_2151.jpg

What plex cut and shaped

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

A quick look see

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

I'm not sure how i'll light these, they can both run as blinkers or as parker's.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

Quick coat of black, not final..... still needs more rubbing and prep work before final paint.

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Looking awesome mate

Cheers mate :D i'm thinking of using that side parker idea on your lights to fill that cut area.

That looks quite interesting... Would you sell?

For sure mate, I should have something more final looking over the long weekend.

That sounds good.

One thing... would you say... retrofit a set of projectors into it? I have a set of Gen5 ones from the US one here that I have already opened but I know that I will have to modify the mounts heavily for them to match the AU ones.

Nice!!!

Cheers mate :)

That sounds good.

One thing... would you say... retrofit a set of projectors into it? I have a set of Gen5 ones from the US one here that I have already opened but I know that I will have to modify the mounts heavily for them to match the AU ones.

Sounds like a plan I have a basic set here too , i'll have a look to see how they will fit.

got a linky to your set?

Yeah when i saw how you cut that piece i was thinking you can do something similar with the aurion set you have atm. sounds like a plan. keep us updating :)

Nice!!!

Cheers mate :)

>That sounds good.

Sounds like a plan I have a basic set here too , i'll have a look to see how they will fit.

got a linky to your set?

I got these ones: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Bumper-Fog-02-04-Camry-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Black-Head-Lights-Lamp-Set-/290926313410?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACamry%7CYear%3A2002&hash=item43bc8f3fc2&_uhb=1

That's a good lookin set of lights, just change the crappy halo's to leds, looks like a nice lip @ the front to run a DRL too :D

They were a serious pain in the ***** to open. The glue they used to seal it was so heat resistant, to separate the lens from the light housing I ended up warping most of the housing to get it off. I can add heat again to remould it and use Sika to seal it; but God it was not fun.

Sounds just like a set of later model camry lights I have here.... heat resistant and imposs to open without some perm damage.

Just a quicky update,

Swapping and changing ideas for the inner light accent. Originally I planned to run it as a second white light (parkers) but after a quick mock up today i'm thinking this has to not be included or used as a second blinker,

The initial test. was to get the all the rings blackened, there is still a slight imbalance in the white of the angel eyes, this is due to different resistors on the larger rings, this lowers the power input slightly changing the brightness. I'll correct this with a newer set of 160mm rings.

As can be seen the inner white light tends to just bleed off the angel eye with no real contrast.

IMG_2324.jpg

more noticeable on darker pics

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

Changing to an arrange lense and diffuser with amber back light.

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

That is looking good!

Cheers mate, getting there slowly.

You should do a set of Gen 3 lights. :P

They are tuff, been looking around for some inspiration and not finding much.

The back is a real challenge, the front's are glass? I don't think rings would look good. But maybe something custom.

Thats rectangle to follow the natural shape.

The older cars usually prove more of a challenge than newer models. Is there much in the way of after market?

This is an example of a design already done, yeah, they are glass, unsure about the aftermarket ones, however, you can get ones with black backings. They are all for LHD though.

http://jdmautolights.com/toyota-camry-sxv10-9294-clear-projector-headlightscorners-p-1502.html?osCsid=4e8960a9bee692456362f5bcad742d2c