Big Brakes

There aren't any nice rotors out for the car yet.

It's a bummer. I've contacted DBA but they go it will come out later this year or so.

However i've seen Civics with Type R brakes on it. He must have changed it somehow.

And his civic wasn't the type R one. Anyways i guess i'll just wait till TRD japan update their site. It's last entry was 2003 August or something.

Anyone here speak Japanese?

Grim: Try using the language convertor/translator or your language pack on your computer. It should be able to 'translate' a website for you.

Hope this helps

-Chris

Hi Yall.

I noticed there is another on this board called, Quicksilver. :D STOLE MY NAME! :D :lol: just kidding

In relation to upgrading brakes. This is just a heads up. I remember reading somewhere that changing a break setup can destroy an ABS setup. the ABS program is written with the characteristics of a particular brake kit in mind.

when you tinker with rotor size...etc it will effect how well the ABS works. The pulses on the brake pedal are determined by the braking ability of our cars and may not be effective for another brake kit.

Do you guys with bigger wheels notice if ABS kicks in earlier or later on your cars? Theoretically it would but theory is often thrown out the window when reality walks through the door :D I wish i could afford bigger rims right now but the stivo has already taken my left arm and half my right foot :D

I thought ABS kicked in when the sensors at each corner detected wheel lockup. The computer then pulses the pressure to release the wheel, allowing you to steer during emergency braking.

But regardless, if this was a problem it would affect every car, not just Stivos. WRX's for example have a multitude of brake packages available, and you never hear of problems with their ABS.

But regardless, if this was a problem it would affect every car, not just Stivos. WRX's for example have a multitude of brake packages available, and you never hear of problems with their ABS.

yeah, good point. i suppose if there was a problem it would be minimal at most.

I thought ABS kicked in when the sensors at each corner detected wheel lockup. The computer then pulses the pressure to release the wheel, allowing you to steer during emergency braking.

Actually, ABS kicks in way before the wheels lock up. it works by calculating

G-force. the sensors detect rotational speed every few milliseconds and tries to determine how fast the wheels are slowing down. If the rate or decelleration of the wheels is way too high to be possible based on the standard package, the ABS will pulse for a certain time and at a certain pulse rate based on the G-force detected on the wheel. then it will sample the rate of Decelleration on the wheel again, if it is acceptable then nothing happens. high rates of decellerations can be caused by wheel slippage and not just wheel lock. that's why you will notice ABS kicking in on gravel roads under even moderate braking.

Very true.

You may notice...when exiting Car Parks from a higher level...eg: downwards ramp. and you go over a speed hump on the way down, ABS kicks in.

Especially if you apply the brakes whilst going over the speed hump. i brake before it, so i don't have ABS kicking in.

-Chris

I think the ABS on the Stivo is ordinary at best. :angry:

I have just done a driving course through work where i got to practice threshold braking ( Controlled braking to just before ABS kicks in and no skidding) in Falcons and Commodores and they felt a lot better. I reckon there was a lot more brake range compared to the STIVO.

THe ABS on the Stivo seems to kick in WAY to early.

KAN.

Totally Agree:

The Stivo ABS is way premmature....

Its good in the wet but in the dry i would like a little more time before the ABD activates.

The other day i didnt see someone stopped in front of me, i slam the brakes EBD kicks in then ABS spoiles all the fun by extending the stopping distance, if it wasnt for my compression braking i would have smashed for sure.

from what i've read and what pecker just said..

does ABS increase stopping distance?

The only advantage to having ABS is having the ability to turn whilst under emergency braking???

:huh:

-Chris

Yes. ABS can increase stopping distance by 3 times. It appers they have set up the ABS to assume that we stivo drivers are all novice at best.

the combination of light weight car, high power engine and budget sports suspension probably forced the engineers to go down this path. perhaps Toyota don't want to tarnish their reputation as having safe and reliable cars by having stivo drivers crash their cars. the worse thing Toyota can have happen to them is increase premiums on toyota badged cars due to negative saftey image. You can see this in their new Sportivo concept where they have electronic power limits on the engine, electronic speed limits imposed by the car computer itself...etc.

A big selling point of toyota and especially corolla is lower insurance premiums.

To be completly honest i think MINIMAL R&D (research and development :P ) went into the sportivo and it was purely a knee jurk reaction to try and enter the hot hatch market. I pretty much feel that they just slapped it all together did a few things on gut feel/from previous experience and WALLA theres the Sportivo.

Bill: Definately agree with you there.

BTW...after putting the 17's on the stivo. The reverse squeal has gone away <_< Great engineering there...

-Chris

Hmmm .... maybe suggest this to Toyota that the sportivo has to come out with 17' wheels ;) ;) and they have to recall all the old mags on the sportivo's they have already sold to upgrade to 17's :D :P ;)