Latest News 2018 Camry New V6

campbeam

Latest press release indicates Toyota will be importing Camry 2018 models from Japan; new V6 engine and end of the Aurion. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/512191/2018-toyota-camry-revealed-japan-built-sedan-in-australia-from-late-2017/

http://kaizen-factor.com/from-fse-to-fks-the-evolution-of-toyotas-2gr-3-5-liter-v6/

Just speculating but looks like it could be the 2GR-FSE engine for the Camry and the 2GR-FKS engine for the Lexus.

Reported body specifications for the 2018 Camry look quite appealing [to me] so maybe new car buyers will prefer the 2018 Camry V6 instead of the last of the 2017 Aurion runout models.

Is the 2GR-FSE engine that much better than the 2GR-FE?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Latest press release indicates Toyota will be importing Camry 2018 models from Japan; new V6 engine and end of the Aurion. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/512191/2018-toyota-camry-revealed-japan-built-sedan-in-australia-from-late-2017/

http://kaizen-factor.com/from-fse-to-fks-the-evolution-of-toyotas-2gr-3-5-liter-v6/

Just speculating but looks like it could be the 2GR-FSE engine for the Camry and the 2GR-FKS engine for the Lexus.

Reported body specifications for the 2018 Camry look quite appealing [to me] so maybe new car buyers will prefer the 2018 Camry V6 instead of the last of the 2017 Aurion runout models.

Is the 2GR-FSE engine that much better than the 2GR-FE?

The FSE used in the the Mark X made quite a bit more power than the Aurion, from memory it was up around the TRD power figure at the crank.

The engine isn't new as such, just new to our market. Then again the 2GR-FE was old when it came to our market as well.

The direct injection "should" be better for economy and emissions as well.

The Aurion just replaced the V6 Camry anyway, so it is simply taking its place back into the market. This was always going to happen when production stopped in Australia.

Whose to say TMCA won't keep the Aurion badge which is essentially a re-badged Camry V6 ? Either way these new engines of today are getting more & more complex & hi-tech, I mean injectors that clean themselves ? Struth, hope it lasts.

Love the new look, a mix of previous 2 gens which is much better than current.

2 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The FSE used in the the Mark X made quite a bit more power than the Aurion, from memory it was up around the TRD power figure at the crank.

The engine isn't new as such, just new to our market. .

Technically it's not even new to the Australian market as the Lexus IS, GS and RC350 ran the FSE, just new to Australian Aurions...

2 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The engine isn't new as such, just new to our market.

Agree. Marketing hype; also "new" 8 speed automatic transmission. Kept doing internet searches so it looks like being the 2GR-FKS engine.

When the 2017 Toyota Kluger is released, this should firm up the V6 engine and auto transmission specifications.

2 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Whose to say TMCA won't keep the Aurion badge which is essentially a re-badged Camry V6 ? Either way these new engines of today are getting more & more complex & hi-tech, I mean injectors that clean themselves ? Struth, hope it lasts.

Love the new look, a mix of previous 2 gens which is much better than current.

More like the "enhanced driving dynamics" with longer wheelbase, lower centre of gravity, and more rigid chassis. I expect that this will be more aerodynamic and the 8 speed automatic transmission will also improve fuel economy.

Wondering when Toyota would start to  "lift its game" especially with the Koreans gaining more sales in the Australian market.

Akio did say the 86 was the first of an exciting new breed of cars people would want to drive that are not your everyday whitegoods boredom. The BR86 was an instant worldwide sensation winning COTY awards all over so I'm hoping the new Camry is the continuation on that theme. The CHR is another interesting car to be released by Toyota.

• Like 1

For the last few months, I have been thinking about a wishlist of how the next model Aurion could be improved. V6 engine with more torque and power, 8 or 9 speed auto, longer wheelbase [similar to BMW design] more rigid chassis etc for improved handling. All of this without compromising safety, comfort and reliability,

So it should be interesting to read the reviews for the 2018 Camry V6, particularly if there is a Sports model.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

So it should be interesting to read the reviews for the 2018 Camry V6, particularly if there is a Sports model.

I would say this is highly likely as the Sportivo name has been present in the V6 Camry lineup since 2002 and the GTP(albeit cosmetic) before that.

Given the direction Toyota are looking to move in I would say it is there to stay or an equivalent will replace it, especially with increased power figures.

As a bigger bloke than average (6' 5"), it worries me that the new Camry looks a lot lower in front roof line.    When I was looking for a new car, I tried STACKS of different makes, by actually sitting in them, both Japanese and European, large and small, etc. and found that MOST of them had my head touching the headlining.   The 'boy racer' versions with bucket seats were better to some degree, but tend to be narrower around the butt, so aren't always comfortable either.  So for me, a longer wheelbase won't automatically make it any better.

Sure, the Aurions are based on the Camry, but I found it has noticeably more headroom than the Camry.   But then mine is an XV50 and it seems to have lower seat (at minimum) than the VX40 Sportivo I tried out, so better headroom.   Even with current one, I have to 'fold' my legs a little to get under wheel, but fine once I'm in ....

Kids seem to be getting taller, but headroom gets less - why ?

(and no,  SUVs are *not* automatically any better at headroom, even though they look like they should be .....)

Edited by V6_fan
fix typo

As a short, fat bloke (5'5") and having to twist myself into my 95 Honda Prelude which has a lower sitting position compared to my 98 Camry and 06 Aurion, I can appreciate what V6_fan is experiencing.

Just going by the Press Releases, the roof line is lower but the driver sits lower in the vehicle. Real test will be when the 2018 Camry is in the showroom and going for a test drive in hilly terrain with sweeping curves. Personally, I prefer the higher seating position for better visibility and more preparation time for driving to stay on the road.

Seriously (and never intending to offend anyone) - this kind of thing is very individual.  If you are shorter than average, especially if in the body rather than the legs, you may find seats feel too low, and don't go high enough, or relationship to wheel/pedals doesn't feel right.  Tall drivers the reverse.  It all depends if you have long legs or long body, and so on.  I'm also broad across shoulders, some smaller cars feel claustrophobic around the shoulders if they curve in quickly to roof line.   That's when I envy  you shorter guys !!  

And yet the new mini is OK to drive for me (but I don't like the styling), 2015 Corolla just about OK, but cosy, couldn't go long journeys I reckon.

So it's all about those little interior layout differences. I will definitely be trying out the V6 Camry when it appears...

And don't even talk to me about economy airplane seats....

NB.   It could be in the XV40 Sportivo I tried the seat wasn't going all the way down, but I was definitely closer to the headlining than my XV50 ATX.  Could  be Sportivo seats are firmer ?  I did read somewhere Toyota had extended range of seat and wheel adjustment in XV50.   

I did once work with a really tiny woman who was under 5 ft tall, and she had a booster cushion and blocks attached to the pedals !!

Edited by V6_fan
add a bit more

I quite like the looks, side and rear. Could do with a different beak though, but might look ok in charcoal or silver.

I hope, the anti-collision system can be switched off (permanently, not everytime new on start up). That would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, will have a test drive and check out the seats for sure.

Current model Aurions will probably go for $10,000.00 cheaper, depending how many they've got left at the end of the year.

But it's something to look forward to :)

22 hours ago, Auri 7 said:

Current model Aurions will probably go for $10,000.00 cheaper, depending how many they've got left at the end of the year.

Only if they are heavily overstocked which is what Toyota would be trying to avoid.

Internet article dated Feb. 2016 talked about the possibility of special edition Aurions with cosmetic changes for the end of model production farewell similar to Holden and Ford.

Based upon recent sales figures, I would expect production of Aurions to be closely monitored.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-expecting-new-camry-sales-slide-20170110-gtp8t3.html?trackLink=homePageNews2

On 12/01/2017 at 5:42 PM, Auri 7 said:

Current model Aurions will probably go for $10,000.00 cheaper

Yes, that was badly worded on my behalf. What I really meant, was, that the new V6 will probably be $10,000 dearer than the current equivalent model Aurion.

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

possibility of special edition Aurions with cosmetic changes for the end of model production farewell similar to Holden and Ford.

Maybe like the extras the Touring SE presented in the past.

Edited by Auri 7

22 hours ago, Auri 7 said:

new V6 will probably be $10,000 dearer than the current equivalent model Aurion.

More thinking and expecting that the pricing will be the same. Increased prices, fewer sales.

Lots of new models coming late 2017.e.g. Kia Stinger, Opel replacement for Commodore is AWD and 230KW etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

I missed the announcement 6 days ago for the Altona Plant closure on Tuesday 3rd October 2017.

Perhaps not surprising that Aurion production will be the 1st to cease production in August 2017. That timing will give the dealers a few months to sell stock in time for the new 2018 V6 Camry.

http://www.toyota.com.au/news/toyota-australia-announces-closure-date?gclid=COWBhaSm-tECFYWWvAodvxwBRQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMv0mqSm-tECFcc3lgodHQkLSQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-31/toyota-set-to-close-in-melbourne-in-october/8227698

The other two failed to stay relevant, in todays market, that's when PBR and other suppliers pulled the pin. PBR supplied a fair few parts to Toyota as well.

I think Toyota's retreat was logical as they no longer had locally built vehicles to compete with; and as a bonus, they could cost cut at the same time.

On 11 January 2017 at 11:58 AM, V6_fan said:

As a bigger bloke than average (6' 5"), it worries me that the new Camry looks a lot lower in front roof line.    When I was looking for a new car, I tried STACKS of different makes, by actually sitting in them, both Japanese and European, large and small, etc. and found that MOST of them had my head touching the headlining.   The 'boy racer' versions with bucket seats were better to some degree, but tend to be narrower around the butt, so aren't always comfortable either.  So for me, a longer wheelbase won't automatically make it any better.

Sure, the Aurions are based on the Camry, but I found it has noticeably more headroom than the Camry.   But then mine is an XV50 and it seems to have lower seat (at minimum) than the VX40 Sportivo I tried out, so better headroom.   Even with current one, I have to 'fold' my legs a little to get under wheel, but fine once I'm in ....

Kids seem to be getting taller, but headroom gets less - why ?

(and no,  SUVs are *not* automatically any better at headroom, even though they look like they should be .....)

I have a 2007 and a 2009 post facelift model and the sear is lower in the 2007 than the 09. 

13 minutes ago, matt36415 said:

I have a 2007 and a 2009 post facelift model and the sear is lower in the 2007 than the 09. 

I have October 2006 ATX and a December 2008 Prodigy [yet to be registered]. The seat did feel higher in the Prodigy and I have managed to get a lower adjustment, finally.

Going back on subject, I have read the pre-release reviews in mid-January 2017 of the Kluger test driven in the USA. Reported 2GR-FKS engine with 218kw and 8 speed transmission. Now waiting for the Australian release and subsequent reviews to confirm those specifications. Drivetrain expected to be the same for the 2018 V6 Camry.

• 3 months later...

Some news about the planned infotainment system: (this info presently only for USA builds, starting with the new 2018 Camry for late northern summer deliveries. No mention about AUS yet).

https://www.automotivelinux.org/announcements/2017/05/30/automotive-grade-linux-platform-debuts-on-the-2018-toyota-camry

/Quote:

Toyota has adopted the AGL platform for Toyota’s next-generation infotainment system. The 2018 Toyota Camry will be the first Toyota vehicle on the market with the AGL-based system in the United States.

/unquote.

AGL (Automotive Grade Linux) features include a dashboard, support for Google Maps, climate control (A/C), media player, news reader, smart phone integration etc.

Manufacturers can expand the AGL platform to their own specifications. Most of the future Toyota and Lexus models will be delivered with this system.

Participants in the AGL consortium are Hyundai, Jaguar/Landrover, Toyota, Mercedes and others.

• 4 months later...

Not much longer before the launch date. Just happened to come across this YouTube review for the USA model so it will be interesting what is available in Australia. Sure that we will be getting the updated V6 engine but the 4 cylinder engine remains the same.

Driving dynamics with the new chassis design could be enticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGMuKfHNNo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really diggin' these new gen Camry's. It's about time Toyota got serious.

I was always worried they'd continue with the same blandness we've had from previous camry's AND losing the V6.

I'm glad they are retaining the V6. That's the only engine for me.

Can't wait to see them out on the road. The specs will be interesting too.

• Like 1