Aurion performance mod.

Aurion fi

I bought my aurion in 2015 brand new. Been a top car.

I wanted a little more performance out of it. I have a K&N filter and also just did the exhaust collector mod.  

The standard pipe squishes together and very restrictive right where you want it to flow.  We moved the flex pipe further back and had two pipes into a larger collector

Professional workshop did it and its a top quality job. 

Car goes a fair bit better. 1st gear it just spins the tyres (235 tyres on 17 inch wheels).  Massive axle tramp. Its definately making more torque and power.

It just feels more urgent, like your driving downhill all the time. Might even get fuel efficiency gains

Best thing is it sounds completely stock. 

I will try attach pictures.

20180824_155821.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aurion fi said:

We moved the flex pipe further back and had two pipes into a larger collector

Professional workshop did it and its a top quality job. 

Looks like a worthwhile modification. How much did this cost and how long did it take for the shop to do it?

Took 2 hours to do and $250.  I suspect ill make it back on fuel economy. 

It sounds absolutely standard. 

It seriously breaks traction so easily. Just cruising needs barely any throttle to get up to speed, feels more effortless.

Aurions are not slow to start with but this mod definately turns it up a notch.

1 hour ago, Aurion fi said:

Took 2 hours to do and $250.

Thank you for your contribution to the Forum. Good solution to move the flex pipe back to gain the extra needed space.

The modification is very tempting at that price and worth further consideration.

They considered removing flex pipe altogether but i wanted it in. Moving it back was a great resolve. Ill report back if i get more km to a tank.

No sound change at all. Its quiet. No engine check lights or anything negative. Part throttle response is fantastic. 

Only downside i see is in first gear, need to feather the throttle on a fast takeoff,  Needs better tyres now.

Edited by Aurion fi

Not a friends price. First time i walked into exhaust shop. Pm me and I will provide shops details. 

The negative is you simply cannot floor the throttle from a standing start. It gets axle tramp badly. Need to feather throttle. Go about half throttle and from about 30km/h then floor it. Will still turn the tyres. It wasnt like this standard. So i suspect my car is now making more torque?

I need better tyres now  

I suspect toyota squashed the pipe to limit the low end torque??

Edited by Aurion fi

I have the car 0-100 at about 5.8-5.9 secs with 3/4 of a tank and very gentle delicate takeoff. Have to gradually apply throttle in first gear. With sticky tyres would be quicker with hard launch.

80-120 in about 3.1secs

All on private roads of course.

20180825_175226.mp4

Edited by Aurion fi
Uodate

Your comments about axle tramp with this modification got me interested.

I usually drive my 2006 Aurion ATX [198K on the odometer] fairly sedately. ATX is currently fitted with standard size 216/60/16 Pirelli brand tyres which are "as new" with lots of tread depth. Last night, I just happened to be stopped at the front at traffic lights on the local highway so decided to do a fast launch. I may not have had the throttle totally flat to the floor but there was no loss of tyre traction before getting to the 80kph speed limit. 

I think that having new quality brand tyres will make a difference with improved tyre traction.

Totally agree about new tyres will reduce my axle tramp / wheel spin. 

But problem was far less before this mod. The standard configuration exhaust seems to limit torque just enough to provide a clean getaway. 

But this mod gives you benefit of extra torque on takeoff and after your getaway right through rev range. I will eventually get better tyres to get my takeoffs effective but as i also drive sedately 99% of the time, i will enjoy this mod moreso for the increased torque / more effortless performance and hopefully fuel economy benefit. 

Edited by Aurion fi

As for the rest of he exhaust? We inspected it and didnt see much of a restriction at all down the back.

Unless the rear mufflers are severely restricted inside, they didnt look bad at all.

Its far more important to uncork the pipes closer to motor than back of car. The exhaust gasses are much hotter and flow faster the nearer to motor. As they go downstream they considerably slow and cool where restrictions will matter less. If anything you want it to step down in size slightly as it gets to the rear to maintain exhaust velocity.

Also at the moment car sounds absolutely standard, changing rear mufflers could sound nasty or invite drone for little or no gains, especially if you leave front pipe all corked up.

Edited by Aurion fi

Sounds like even more torque from that creamy engine, only problem will be you will fry your tyres that much quicker :) Sticky rubber will help with traction but not tyre longevity ;)

Someone else get it done and report back with the results. Show my photo if exhaust shop scratches their head about it.

One exhaust shop said to me, if you want a v8, buy a v8.

Edited by Aurion fi

Have a read of the following closed thread which started in 2009. Reveals a fair bit of what has worked or not worked for other owners.

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/19248-experimental-exhaust-system/

Modification of the Y pipe has been a centre of attention and where the most gains are likely to be achieved.

Pictures in this thread demonstrate how this has been effectively achieved at a modest cost. It also appeals to me because it is a discrete modification.

Yeah read that thread before but no real outcome / conclusion was stated?

Mine is definately going better than standard. I think its not just the bigger collector that removes the squashed pipe restriction but also moving the join of pipes further back helps. Gasses cool as they progress from engine back through the exhaust, the dual pipes merge further back and into a less restrictive collector.

Unfortunately I have not dyno tested the before and after gains but posted videos to evidence it goes pretty good and sounds completely stock.

Edited by Aurion fi

On 8/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Aurion fi said:

Not a friends price. First time i walked into exhaust shop. Pm me and I will provide shops details. 

The negative is you simply cannot floor the throttle from a standing start. It gets axle tramp badly. Need to feather throttle. Go about half throttle and from about 30km/h then floor it. Will still turn the tyres. It wasnt like this standard. So i suspect my car is now making more torque?

I need better tyres now  

I suspect toyota squashed the pipe to limit the low end torque??

I suspect you're right about Toyota limiting the torque -- Toyota marketed these cars to a very conservative demographic. Also, the stock tyres aren't up to the extra torque, as you have experienced. To get more consistent acceleration you will need something better like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Bridgestone RE003. It would be great to get some before and after dyno results...maybe when I do it...

• 2 weeks later...