How road trip ready is your vehicle?

If with a few days notice, you decided to go on a 7 day road trip, would you be able to have your vehicle ready to go. Maybe a better question is what vehicle preparation would you need or prefer to do before leaving?

I do keep my vehicle well serviced and maintained for regular use so hypothetically it should be ready to go.

In reality, I have done a few tasks which were outstanding on the To Do list.

Car was refuelled today and will be topped up before departure. 

An oil change was done but could easily have been deferred.

Car has been washed and the glass given the Rain-X treatment.

Surplus items in the boot have been removed.

Tyre pressure of the spare tyre was checked [34psi] and adjusted to 40psi. 

Wiper blades have been changed.

Surplus items especially those on the back seat have yet to be removed.  

Upon return from this road trip, I know that there will more tasks [currently deferred] to prepare for the next road trip. 

• Like 1

I could safely say that mine would be too.

I am pretty fussy when it comes to cars and I like to keep all my cars in Tip Top shape. I have every confidence that my cars will perform flawlessly over the course of an extended trip. Even if you need supplementary on the run repairs, there are plenty of places around along the way.

Removing surplus items from the boot is also a good idea. You don't want to drag unnecessary weight along.   

When I drove from Sydney to Melbourne I did a very similar run down, checked all tyre pressures, brought spare oil, changed the wiper blades and also brought a set of tools and spares in case of emergencies. I had previously applied RainX earlier in the year and it hadn't worn off at all so one less thing to worry about.

Thankfully the only serious issue I had was the rear scrubbing.

4 hours ago, Squalled said:

I had previously applied RainX earlier in the year and it hadn't worn off at all so one less thing to worry about.

Rain-X lasts quite a long time. I've had beading even after six months. I also like to wipe the leading edge of the wiper blade when I apply the product.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Rain-X last quite a long time. I've had beading even after six months. I also like to wipe the leading edge of the wiper blade when I apply the product.

I've noticed even longer. I did 2 applications and wiped off the excess as per a video I saw at the time which seemed to do the trick.

41 minutes ago, Squalled said:

I've noticed even longer. I did 2 applications and wiped off the excess as per a video I saw at the time which seemed to do the trick.

I suspect you're using this Rain-X product

20200810_165758.thumb.jpg.dd196ff6eb3d8a3bb872aa2d20747f7e.jpg

I have this and the 2 in 1 (cleaner repellant) 

20200810_165817.thumb.jpg.023c9f35d9cc34506d3b1a104c60d1f7.jpg

I did use the first product and found it too smeary when trying to wipe it off. It needs a lot of elbow grease to get the stuff off so much I even wrote to Rain-X complaining about it.

I settled for the 2nd product. Does the same job and is much easier to use. This is the stuff I wipe onto the wiper blades too.

13 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I suspect you're using this Rain-X product

20200810_165758.thumb.jpg.dd196ff6eb3d8a3bb872aa2d20747f7e.jpg

I have this and the 2 in 1 (cleaner repellant) 

20200810_165817.thumb.jpg.023c9f35d9cc34506d3b1a104c60d1f7.jpg

I did use the first product and found it too smeary when trying to wipe it off. It needs a lot of elbow grease to get the stuff off so much I even wrote to Rain-X complaining about it.

I settled for the 2nd product. Does the same job and is much easier to use. This is the stuff I wipe onto the wiper blades too.

That's the one I use. I only find it quite difficult in direct sun light, for the most part I've used it in the cooler parts of the day and haven't had to many issues when applying it. 

5 minutes ago, Squalled said:

I only find it quite difficult in direct sun light, for the most part I've used it in the cooler parts of the day and haven't had to many issues when applying it. 

Yes, same here and still had a hard time with it. Just when you think it's wiped off, you look at it from a different angle and you can still see the damn streaks, and I use proper glass cleaning/wiping microfibre towels too. It's a bugger of a product. Maybe mine came from a different batch to yours. I'll still use it, but it will be the last time I'll buy one.

I'm gonna ceramic coat my glass after this.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, campbeam said:

If with a few days notice, you decided to go on a 7 day road trip, would you be able to have your vehicle ready to go. Maybe a better question is what vehicle preparation would you need or prefer to do before leaving?

I do keep my vehicle well serviced and maintained for regular use so hypothetically it should be ready to go.

In reality, I have done a few tasks which were outstanding on the To Do list.

Car was refuelled today and will be topped up before departure. 

An oil change was done but could easily have been deferred.

Car has been washed and the glass given the Rain-X treatment.

Surplus items in the boot have been removed.

Tyre pressure of the spare tyre was checked [34psi] and adjusted to 40psi. 

Wiper blades have been changed.

Surplus items especially those on the back seat have yet to be removed.  

Upon return from this road trip, I know that there will more tasks [currently deferred] to prepare for the next road trip. 

What, no fresh coat of wax to ensure parasitic drag is at a minimum....

Where's the dedication???

:laugh:

6 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

What, no fresh coat of wax to ensure parasitic drag is at a minimum....

Where's the dedication???

:laugh:

I did wash the car but no wax. Leave that up my sleeve for Conrod Straight. LOL

Left the 2 x 10 fuel containers behind for this particular trip. Next time will include a full container of engine oil.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 5:21 AM, campbeam said:

I did wash the car but no wax. Leave that up my sleeve for Conrod Straight. LOL

Left the 2 x 10 fuel containers behind for this particular trip. Next time will include a full container of engine oil.

I was recently at Bathurst and so I decided to do a few laps of THE Mountain,

I was trying to keep within the speed limit, whilst wondering why the guy in front was driving so boring whilst I was doing "racing lines" for the corners, only to discover that it's a 2 way street...

lucky I discovered this on conrod straight, not one of the corners....

I used to carry several 5L "drop tanks", but they always seem to fumigate the car 😞

What brand do you use? 

Edited by Novicebutnice

On 8/24/2020 at 5:05 PM, campbeam said:

Now getting the car ready for the next road trip. Front passenger tyre has worn on the outside so I have booked a wheel alignment for this Thursday.

😞

Did you end up buying a new tyre/s as well?

3 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

😞

Did you end up buying a new tyre/s as well?

Front tyres were previously "as new" with last wheel alignment done in February this year. Toe in/out measurement had changed significantly. No definite explanation except I should have gone back and had the wheel alignment checked prior to the road trip.

Huge difference with this last wheel alignment and felt really good when I drove away. Interesting that they had replaced the wheel alignment machine. 

No need to buy any tyres. I also have a set of mags with new Continentals on hand so I will fit them before the next wheel alignment. 

• Like 2

Still hoping and dreaming that the QLD NSW border will open without restrictions. I had a glimmer of false hope that it would be October but reality says otherwise. QLD state elections are also due this October so maybe a factor to keep the borders closed until then. Just saying this because as soon as the borders re-open, it will be immediate road trip time for family reasons.

I did a drain of the transmission pan to check the ATF. It looked a nice clear red colour when draining but dark when put into some clear plastic bottles. Decided to change the ATF now than defer for a few more months.

More road trip preparation maintenance tasks to do in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

QLD state elections are also due this October so maybe a factor to keep the borders closed until then.

Annastacia Palaszczuk wants to get re elected so it's downers for everybody wishing to travel by road, rail or air it seems. 

( I had to copy and paste her name . No hope in Hell trying to type it correctly :whistling1:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Annastacia Palaszczuk wants to get re elected so it's downers for everybody wishing to travel by road, rail or air it seems. 

( I had to copy and paste her name . No hope in Hell trying to type it correctly :whistling1:)

What I will say is that I was not aware of who the QLD Chief Medical Officer was before this crisis.

NSW and VIC premiers are making Anna look pretty good, politically speaking; at the moment. 

In the meantime, I will try and predict some winning Lotto numbers, find some eBay bargains and keep busy maintaining my Aurion. 

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Kevin Rudd for PM

Ah memories of the Ruddmobile. Not exactly a road trip friendly vehicle. 

Brakes got a good workout on the last road trip so time to change brake fluid and check the rotors and pads.

16 hours ago, campbeam said:

In the meantime, I will try and predict some winning Lotto numbers, find some eBay bargains and keep busy maintaining my Aurion.

Ok so when you have those numbers Ash just secretly message me mate..😉..I spoke to our son in Queensland last night..he is able to work as he is a plasterer and has enough to keep him and his employees going..however we miss him and the grandkids and they miss us..life has taken such a u turn this year so a lotto win would be nice to just boost the spirits..lets all keep our heads up think positive and hope that by Christmas something..anything ..changes for the good of all, we are a great country and we can get through this..time and doing the right thing unfortunately is the only answer now

KAA

• Haha 1

Send them to me as well 🤣 I've been playing sat tatts for the last 30 odd years & I've never been lucky enough to win anything more than about $50, but right about now would be nice though. I would tell my selfish rich employer where to shove his fukn job 👍 which would give me the greatest satisfaction ;)

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:37 AM, campbeam said:

Brakes got a good workout on the last road trip so time to change brake fluid and check the rotors and pads.

Girlfriend decided that we would go to Toowoomba yesterday rather than go 2 weeks later for the start of the Carnival of Flowers. Got caught out a bit because I had been meaning to check the tyre pressures. Ended up stopping at a local service station.

QLD election date is 31st October and latest news is that politicians [except WA] are planning upon having the borders open by Xmas [this year]. If that happens, I would be expecting plenty of traffic and a lot of last minute preparation and servicing. 

Just suggesting that the time is now for getting up to date with any overdue maintenance etc.  

• 1 month later...

Wet weather time with higher than average rainfall predicted this Spring and Summer. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/ 

With more rainy weather this weekend, I more noticed how much the wipers were smearing. Wiper blades have now been replaced.

Certainly keeping on top of things just in case the QLD NSW border opens without restrictions by early November.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, campbeam said:

With more rainy weather this weekend, I more noticed how much the wipers were smearing. Wiper blades have now been replaced.

You need to apply a ceramic coating to your windscreen Ash. Those wipers will not be needed then, 😀 Watch those beads glide off the glass.

As soon as I build my carport that's exactly what I'll be doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Prodigy said:

You need to apply a ceramic coating to your windscreen Ash. Those wipers will not be needed then, 😀 Watch those beads glide off the glass.

As soon as I build my carport that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Certainly planning upon ceramic coating the windscreens, I have got 3 bottles of the coating sourced from a China eBay seller. Still in the procrastination stage. I am thinking of doing the rear windscreen first before tackling the front windscreen. Also without a garage or carport, I am thinking about how to protect the coating while it cures.

In the meantime, more concentrating upon the cleaning of the windscreen.

• Like 1