Corolla Sportivo Hard Starting

Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my Sportivo recently. A little while ago, it died on my on my drive home, just totally lost power so I figured the fuel pump had gone. Yadda yadda yadda, I got it home and the next day I replaced the pump and the filter and it was running. But ever since then, it's had touble starting.

What will happen is it'll crank for a long time until it just barely sputters to life and then it'll run just like normal; no issues throughout the whole rev range. What I have to do to avoid cranking it for ages, is I crank it for 2 seconds, let the fuel pump prime (I hear that little whirring noise), then I start it like normal. And thats fine, but I'm getting over the whole procedure now.

I've taken the pump out and changed some of the seals around and it started starting first time for the first few times, but then it went back to how it was before.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? Did I just get a faulty pump?? I have another 1zz corolla around, could I just swap parts and use the process of elimination to figure whats up (running 98 octane through the 1zz first of course)?

Curious, have you checked spark plugs and your battery as well? I've also seen when starter motors are on their way out they tend to make the crank times a lot longer than normal.

Edited by Squalled

Wow, completely forgot to give an update. So yeah I checked the spark plugs and the battery and they seem to be fine, so now I’m gonna give swapping out the fuel pumps from then other Corolla a go. What’s the worst that could happen?

@Tony ProdigyThe thing is, that pump thats been giving me issues is brand new. Maybe I just did a bad job installing it or something.

So I've swapped the whole fuel pump module from another Corolla to mine and drove it around for a few days. Great Success! The car runs well and starts perfectly now, so we know that the issue does indeed lay with the components in the whole module. I'm planning to swap the fuel pumps around between the fuel pump modules and then well see whether I just got a dud pump, or if theres some issue with the module. 

I did notice when i swapped the modules over, that there was pressure in the tank of the other corolla (fuel was squirting out of the top of the module and the fuel line), but there was no pressure or anything like that in my Sportivo. Any ideas on why that could be? The Sportivo was sitting in the garage for maybe an hour or two and the other Corolla was freshly driven into the garage.