Mazda 323/3 vs Toyota Corolla Drag re-match

Man I am so looking forward to this, even if I end up not running and just spectating. I think that this can be used as a great relationship builder between the clubs. Why rival when we are all in for the same thing.....fun.....

Lets have bucket loads of fun and race on !!!!!

Corey, you getting your sister to bring the 1ZZ?

not just relationship builder between clubs .... but within our own club . !!! .. if a bunch of us come up we can truely call ourselves a national club ... if you get what I mean ....

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ill be there... im even putting off trying to get a job in june, so this if im successful i dont have to ask for leave so early...

lets just hope i can afford to get myself up there...

i agree with you azza, it'll be good to meet and get to know more about the mazda guys, and put some more names to faces. its going to be great!

It also then bocomes an opportunity to meet friends. You also never know if or when any of us cross the line (Toyota -> Mazda or Vice Versa) and need some help....

It'll be great if its a relationship builder between the clubs...just hope we dont have any of the angst that we did last time. We're all car nuts, and both teams have some pretty impressive cars modded up... so it'll be good to get in an enjoy seeing what everyone does. Bit of healthy competition never goes astray though!

I have already put the call out on the AGT thread for anyone with spare rooms to help billet any sydney siders coming up... prob best to billet and save yourselves the accom costs.

And we may have a few rotors showing up just for fun (no we're not going to make you guys race against a worked RX-7)

If we can keep it civil, and in the spirit of good fun and building cross forum relationships, there has already been interest expressed in organising a future MASSIVE willowbank meet that would involve booking the track out (would need somewhere in the order of 40 cars paying around $100 each for the day to do it...but it'd be well worth it....and we may be able to invite the mitsu forums and suzuki forums to come play as well...)... so thats what we may have to look forward to, if all goes well this time.

I am happy to do another bbq this time, i think it worked well last time...however would prefer if someone else did it... so if someone wants to step up to the plate and do snags on bread then by all means let me know, otherwise i'll do it. Maybe might get some other cow parts to burn on the grill (see what my butcher will do price wise for a whole rib fillet or something....)

haha i just read through the thread on AGT... good to see silva and northy churning things up over there!!

i am so pumped about this... seriously im not going to get over how good this is going to be until its happened...

fastest 1zz time here i come... maybe...

haha i just read through the thread on AGT... good to see silva and northy churning things up over there!!

i am so pumped about this... seriously im not going to get over how good this is going to be until its happened...

fastest 1zz time here i come... maybe...

Yeh its always a good night out at willowbank...i'm becoming somewhat of a regular...have a ball every time i'm out there...best fun you can have on 4 wheels i reckon! (and the circuit and rally racing purests are going to crucify me for that comment!)

one of our guys is this years ANDRA sport compact - sport FWD champ, and absolutely raves about the surface at willowbank for traction... even though the facilities are not upto par with WSID... Plus it'll be nice and cold wintery weather so we'll see alot of PBs on the night (just make sure you get some heat in those tyres else traction will be your biggest issue!)

Whats the best way to do this guys... central meetup point again? drive to that park we went to last time, have a bbq, talk shop, get to the track at say 3:30pm to get up to the front line and get some good pits??

If we do go for central meetup, suggest Goodna BP at 1:30pm or something... gives plenty of time to drive to the bbq area, have a couple of hours for lunch and get out to the track.

Can I get a rough guestimate on numbers from you guys? that is numbers that are actually racing?? spectators dont really matter so much, just want to know how many cars we're going to all have on the track.......

any indication of pricing and requirements ???

Whoops! sorry...thought it was already around here somewhere.

Regular test and tune night, so $36 covers your entry fee, and one spectator (spectator can take care in also if you want to use it as a parts car... we often have a few mules bring their rides and not race....)

Require closed in shoes, long sleve shirt or jacket, full length pants (jeans will do fine), and a motor cycle rated helmet (can be had for cheap at motorcycle shops.... i think $70 is about the going rate for an open face, if you cant get ahold of something from someone). Regular drivers licence.

And thats it.

There are a few rules... they will only let you burn out in the burnout pad before the christmas tree, you must not leave your car unattended in the staging lanes (common sense you'd think but on sat night there were about 4 announcements asking people to move their cars!). No oil or fluid of any kind to be leaking from your car (you'll be removed from the track and not allowed to race anymore if this happens, so well worth checking everything out!), airconditioners to be turned off in the staging lanes (condensation and other rubbish can spew out of aircons when they are turned off after running for long periods...wind your window down or stand next to your car and chat to whoevers nearby...). Not that it will bother many if any of us, but if your car goes faster than 11.99, you require a full fire suite and 4 point racing harness, faster then 10.99 you need a full rollcage and a chute ontop of that. Otherwise you can just drive your normal daily driver out there....stay out of lanes 1 2 and 3 (1 is for bikes, 2 and 3 are for competition dragsters only, andra approved things wearing andra race numbers.) all other lanes are open for normal regular joes like us.

Oh and, if anyone has never raced before, read the how to race thingy on the ANDRA website... officials get shirty at people who stage with rear wheels, drive up with windows down, or do half track burnouts and waste everyones time....also read about working the lights if you want to get off to a good start, given the rules for this "event" state that RT and ET will be added together to get the effective quartermile time

Oh and, if anyone has never raced before, read the how to race thingy on the ANDRA website... officials get shirty at people who stage with rear wheels, drive up with windows down, or do half track burnouts and waste everyones time....also read about working the lights if you want to get off to a good start, given the rules for this "event" state that RT and ET will be added together to get the effective quartermile time

Cool ... with potentially the worst power-to-weight ratio, an auto box, plus the fact that I don't give a rats about RT, I think we can safely say which performance-mudflap-enhanced wagon will be the slowest car there on this occasion! :P

performance-mudflap-enhanced wagon

At least we know who will win show and shine this time.

Yeah at least it'll be a Corolla not a Yaris like last time... :o

performance-mudflap-enhanced wagon

At least we know who will win show and shine this time.

Yeah at least it'll be a Corolla not a Yaris like last time... :o

Yaris or Corolla, it matters not ... as long as it features the chrome "T" (or variations thereof), we shall be happy. ;)

Maybe my nice shiny Toyota Keyring can ring SHow N Shine :P

As long as its shiny before you get there, you can't just decide to shine it up at the last minute, like you usually do! :P

As long as its shiny before you get there, you can't just decide to shine it up at the last minute, like you usually do! :P

Low Steve, but I'll pay it....

You know I'm only joking, and besides, somehow I still managed to beat you on the day (Believe it ... or not!) :huh:

Edited by Buddha

You know I'm only joking, and besides, somehow I still managed to beat you on the day (Believe it ... or not!) :huh:

Yeah, Brennden & I ran out of time to detail my wheels properly :P

Yeah, Brennden & I ran out of time to detail my wheels properly :P

I'm sure you'll come out bigger and badder this time around ... but I'll be trying harder this year ... I can hear you shaking in your boots from here! B)

Ok doing bbq again.

details are on the original AGT thread.

prob wont be at hte same park...hot plate took the better part of the afternoon to get hot.

Thinking might do it in brissy (southbank or something) then cruise up to the track...

so might be a brunch sorta thing...maybe at 11am?

dunno

lemme know

• 2 weeks later...

Been quiet in here... wondering if everyone is still coming out to play in July???

Havn't had much of a response re: bbq.... do we want it? or should i leave my tongs and apron at home this time?

also..just a little heads up... I am already putting feelers out for the third rolla v 323 drag meet... I've emailed warwick and gladstone dragways directly, about booking the strip out for an entire day or perhaps weekend and seeing about setting up the tree for DYO for some parity... prob looking late in the year for this one..but thought i'd just let everyone know what may be going on.. Gladstone is a full 1/4mile ANDRA qualified strip, warwick is andra endorsed, 1/8mile strip. I have emailed willowbank also, but from what I have heard, we'd be lucky to get 4 hours for $6k out of them..

Anyway, TNT on the 15th of july is going ahead as planned

And maybe november for a booked track day.

im just thinking if you're doing round three later on this year... maybe we can convince bill and dylan and the rest of the pikers to come along...

if you can set a rough time for it, maybe there'll be more interest expressed from the sydney guys to come up...

if not, ill still come up this time round... still coming jase?