?where is the sportivo

yes getting it out of first gear is just as hard! it feels like yanking it out without using the clutch. when i first got the car, the prob was getting it into 2nd gear. now the prob is pulling it out of first and shoving it into 2nd. and the whole process can take a 2seconds on a really bad day!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, definitely gets worse in Winter and on cold nights. I think its hard to shift on every gear when you are in high revs (above 7500rpm). Recently crunched second gear AGAIN:( Wasn't even quick shifting and still had clutch all the way to the floor. I wonder how much more crunching the 2nd gear synchros can take before something breaks :blink: ANyway, Monday would be my Tranny oil change day to Full SYnthetic. Crossing my fingers it would work out for the tranny because it has cost me $75 to purchase 3 liters of Castrol Syntrax tranny oil.

Zee

yes getting it out of first gear is just as hard! it feels like yanking it out without using the clutch. when i first got the car, the prob was getting it into 2nd gear. now the prob is pulling it out of first and shoving it into 2nd. and the whole process can take a 2seconds on a really bad day!

Thats the exact same thing I get! And I only find it so when you try shift above 8k!

But when I shift around high 7k it shifts fine but you just dont land in lift in 2nd..

I think if this is the problem, its not worth taking it up to the redline or fuelcut cuz when the gearstick gets stuck, you have to yank it out firstly and secondly, it doesnt go in smoothly into 2nd gear.. the revs you lose doing that will bring you straight back down to 5k+ and the whole shifting sequence is stuffed up... Just shift before hitting 8k and you'll save yourself some revs and your engine a longer lifespan as well :lol:

Why are you guys trying to shift so damn high in the rev range?

1 Tip - If you want to land in lift, learn to use your clutch more. Ruining your gearbox can be a costly adventure.

Why dont you share with us no0bs how to do it?

I'm being serious.. How do you shift then?

Why are you guys trying to shift so  damn high in the rev range?

1 Tip - If you want to land in lift, learn to use your clutch more. Ruining your gearbox can be a costly adventure.

Why dont you share with us no0bs how to do it?

I'm being serious.. How do you shift then?

Yeah please enlighten us....i dont see how shifting low revs can keep you in lift consiering lift is around the early 6000rpms...but please let us know if you have a tip..

Why are you guys trying to shift so damn high in the rev range?

and what do u mean by using the clutch more? :ph34r:

i ALWAYS push the clutch in all the way for my gearchanges simply because i have no confidence watsoever in doing quick changes. i don't even do quick snap shifts at all. so please do enlighten us all on how to use the clutch more. and i shift below 8000rpm. and i shift so DAMN high in the rev range is because that is the MOST effective part of the rev range. if i didn't like all those revs i would have bought a different car!!

The only way I can imagine keeping the car in lift and not taking it to the red line is to keep your foot on the throttle thru the gear change from 1st to 2nd.. That way the revs are still kept up but in neutral.. But I dont suppose that would be too good for the car either..

Lets just face it, we have a crap tranny :( High revving sports cars like the rx8 and s2k dont have this problem of shifting in high gear, mind you, those redline/cutout above 9k revs.. There really is no comparison there since ours is 29k and those are like 60-70k.. Just stating a matter of fact :unsure:

He means rev it to 8,000 in first, clutch in, shift to second, clutch up as far as if you were taking off from the lights in first so it will slip a bit and foot down hard on the accelerator. This will slip the clutch a little but keep you in lift. You will with practice get it where you can instinctively change and slip it at exactly 6,000 until the transmission catches up with the revs then clutch up the rest of the way.

The only way I can imagine keeping the car in lift and not taking it to the red line is to keep your foot on the throttle thru the gear change from 1st to 2nd.. That way the revs are still kept up but in neutral.. But I dont suppose that would be too good for the car either..

I would strongly reccomend against that, flat changes are not good for a car. With the clutch clip method, the worst you will do is maybe wear your clutch out quicker. A clutch is a snot load cheaper than replacing your gearbox and drivetrain due to being dumped at high revs into gears :).

The easiest way to learn to get the most out of your changes is to just practice though and please always be responsible with your choice of where you practice this stuff, when your putting a lot of concentration into your changes, you have less concentration for the surrounding environment :).

Cheers

Blade

before my 10,000km service, i could snap 1-->2-->3 @ 7,900 and land in lift.

now, after my 10,000km service, i can't do it anymore.

1-->2-->3 crunches at high revs...even at low revs, i can feel the synchros not fully working and the teeth hitting each other as i try to engage gears.

Yeah, sure, i've absolutey HAMMERED my gearbox/clutch...but...it should still servive! it's only 6 months old!

my 2001 ce lancer and 2002 levin didn't have gearbox/clutch problems and i drove them the same.

<_< <_< <_<

is there anything i can do? eg: get it fixed/replaced under warranty?

Yeah, sure, i've absolutey HAMMERED my gearbox/clutch...but...it should still servive! it's only 6 months old!

my 2001 ce lancer and 2002 levin didn't have gearbox/clutch problems and i drove them the same.

<_< <_< <_<

But you gotta remember something.. those cars dont go to 8.2k as like the stivo does..

I dont know about you guys but my problem is shifting from 2nd to 3rd, its not as smooth as id like. Yesterday morning, nobody in the car which im spewing about, i did the best shift ever form 1st to 2nd. I shifted at 7600 and no bull landed on 6400, the car lost absolutely no momentum. Yeah i know many of you wont believe it, but it was just perfect. If i could get that all the time i am sure it would easily slash a sec of the q/m time.

Practice makes perfect. alot of the time we think that we have to bring the clutch out all the way before getting ont the gas. not the case. as soon os you gear leaver passes the neurtal zone get onto the gas straight away. the 2nd gear will pop in by itself and that cuts 1/2 second of the gear change.

The landing of the lift change will cause a weel chirp as hames pointed out.....

CHIRP + SUCCESS :D :D :D

there are also other ways of getting the perfect change But do so at your own risk

before my 10,000km service, i could snap 1-->2-->3 @ 7,900 and land in lift.

now, after my 10,000km service, i can't do it anymore.

1-->2-->3 crunches at high revs...even at low revs, i can feel the synchros not fully working and the teeth hitting each other as i try to engage gears.

<_< <_< <_<

I think your probs could be due to the colder weather at the moment. I am having issues as well with the synchros and i suspect its tranny fluid being a mineral based hence thicker and in Winter has trouble getting up to temperature. That's why i am getting the tranny fluid changed tomorrow to full synthetic which is much thinner. However, that might not slove the problem, will have to wait and see.

I also know that some S2000 and WRX owners also have some gearbox issues, and its usually on very new cars with very low mileage (5-10,000kms).

I dont know about you guys but my problem is shifting from 2nd to 3rd, its not as smooth as id like. Yesterday morning, nobody in the car which im spewing about, i did the best shift ever form 1st to 2nd. I shifted at 7600 and no bull landed on 6400, the car lost absolutely no momentum. Yeah i know many of you wont believe it, but it was just perfect. If i could get that all the time i am sure it would easily slash a sec of the q/m time.

I believe you mate.. Cuz I've done it once myself. Only once! Man.. the feeling of getting it correct is sooo rewarding :D

Just makes you wanna give yourself a pat on the back!

The only grind i have had is 2-3 and it was due to a lazy shift more than anything.

According to the Stivo it was about 10 degrees tonight and i tested out the 1-2 and 2-3 shift in lift and both went smoothly.... so not sure. My baby only has 2600km on her though and i was pretty gentle with her for the first 2000km.

Oh... and just another service story to add to the collection that was going around when i first starting to read this board.... i took my baby in for its first service with NO problems whatsoever.... i get it back and everything seems ok... wake up next morning to see a puddle under the front of her.... *SPEWING* anyways... after further inspection i discovered it was only windscreen washer fluid... BUT it just wouldn't stop... and due to the position of the windscreen washer bottle you just can't see it without ripping off a whole heap of the underguard. So i took it back to a different service centre (closer to my place) to discover that whoever serviced it had squashed one of the valves into the windscreen washer bottle. So i had to wait another day for them to order the part in and get it fixed. Minor i know... but i just found it amusing that whoever done it would have HAD to have known they had done it from the dripping fluid and still the said and did nothing about it.

Thankfully she is all sweet now and the dodgy tinting job has been fixed.

Question for everyone though:

I have a slight rattle that i hear (different to gear selector cable) at around 100-120km/h at the front drivers side somewhere around the steering or under the dash... anyone have or know what this could be? almost sounds like a nut is loose and the washer is rattling away? Haven't had the chance to take a look yet! Its a pretty minor noise but one that i can find becoming annoying!

Lol for all those people who gave me crap in the last 10 posts here is my response:

I used to have trouble shifting BECAUSE i revved the car too high. After some experience i only rev to 7500 now and land at about 6400. Fast shifting wont work if you have a crap transmission (like mine and some others here). From 1st, drop clutch in, change gears, then throttle about half way down and clutch up about 3 cms off the floor max. Then hold clutch for about a split second while the car keeps all its momentum and let go of the clutch and watch it rise.

This is basically what Blade Hunter said. It is better than flat shifting but your clutch will wear out quicker. Since practising this way, i have been able to land lift 99 percent of the time.

Im not boasting at all, because i was one who could not do it for about 7 months. But this method works and the car boots.

Go Stivo

Tivo Matt. I have the same. Have a good look at your window to your speedo and tacho. Mine has come loose and it rattles when you rev.

Also my exhaust has come loose. Damn toyotas dodgy mechanics and the installation of the rear skirt :(

i have just discovered something tonight. not sure if it wat u mean azza, but after the whole car warms up thoroughly, like when the shift gets smoother at lower revs, i tried, like really quickly, to step the clutch BEFORE getting off the gas pedal. to the clutch slips a bit and as its slipping a bit the shifter WAS SMOOTH. slides in 2nd like a rifle bolt. and then slide the clutch back in to engage the gear while just feathering the gas pedal. works 9 out of 10 times. fingers stiff from the cold. will elaborate more if anyone wants...