?where is the sportivo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend is thinking of face lifting his sportivo. he needs to change the bonnet, head lamps, tail lamps, front bar, wheel guards and side skirts. if this happens i will get pictures.

i guess most members do not like the new face lift. but face lifting the sportivo is an expensive option for those who want the new shape.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, I've spoken to my friend who works at Toyota.

He stated the problem with the Sportivo (hence why it hasn't been released yet) is the Specific Output of the Engine - It's not reaching the specified 141 kw power output.

The problem seems to be in the induction system and no solution has been reached as of yet, so as such there is no word on any sort of recall.

He stated the problem with the Sportivo (hence why it hasn't been released yet) is the Specific Output of the Engine - It's not reaching the specified 141 kw power output.

The problem seems to be in the induction system and no solution has been reached as of yet, so as such there is no word on any sort of recall.

Thanks for the update. I'd be interested to hear if you (or anyone) hears anything else.

- Matthew

Toyota South Africa has formally acknowledged that the South African spec cars do not deliver on the 141kW promise. However, new "kits" have been ordered from Japan and will be fitted to all RSi's locally in the near future, at no additional cost to owners.

With respect to the unavailability of the cars in Oz, the reason is quite simple. Australia gets its Corollas from Japan and SA. However SA are still producing the current spec whilst Japan has moved to the facelift. All Stivos come from SA. Since SA will only produce facelifts in the latter part of the year, you will get the Stivo then. Also, on the 141kW issue, the standards bureau in Australia would require the car to go through homologation process again as the power ouput is currenly lower than 140kW

Toyota was in BIG trouble legally with misleading info on their website last year, and now again with 'Stivo kw claims...

Bet John Conomos is lunching overtime in Canberra to keep the lid on this one.

What next..the IZZ-FE doesn't make 100kw ?? driven a few and very unimpressed with the power output on them.

Seriously tho I wonder if you guys actually dyno'ing your stivos, and posting results here forced Toyota to finally admit this publically....give yourselves a pat on the back fellas..

I've still got the stock airbox sitting around in the garage.. And if they want to see the stock airbox in the car, ill show them the stock air box..

But do you really think a simple toyota part like an induction kit is gonna raise our kW figures to the rated 141kW as compared to high performance aftermarket products, imho, I dont think so... <_<

Toyota South Africa has formally acknowledged that the South African spec cars do not deliver on the 141kW promise. However, new "kits" have been ordered from Japan and will be fitted to all RSi's locally in the near future, at no additional cost to owners.

With respect to the unavailability of the cars in Oz, the reason is quite simple. Australia gets its Corollas from Japan and SA. However SA are still producing the current spec whilst Japan has moved to the facelift. All Stivos come from SA. Since SA will only produce facelifts in the latter part of the year, you will get the Stivo then. Also, on the 141kW issue, the standards bureau in Australia would require the car to go through homologation process again as the power ouput is currenly lower than 140kW

Quicksilver, any idea what sort of "kit" it is in SA that would bring life back in the Stivo? I would totally agree that whatever "kit" you guys receive would be applied to our Stivos here in Oz. Damn Toyota, no wonder the Stivos aren't getting enough street cred., especially when we take it up against our competition such as Civic VtiRs, Focus ST170, the Cooper S and Astra Turbos.

Seriously tho I wonder if you guys actually dyno'ing your stivos, and posting results here forced Toyota to finally admit this publically....give yourselves a pat on the back fellas..

Might have to paste it up on a few more sites and pass a few directly onto Toyota HO ;)

Honestly though it would be interesting to know what kind of info they have been looking at both internally and externally (forums etc.) to derive an answer or to base their reports on.

Quiksilver - I'm reluctant to think that we are looking at a power figure level in the case of the Sportivo in AUS. IMHO I am going along the lines of jaymed in the fact thats its a noise related issue.

But as I have pointed out before 'try not to speculate on this issue too much' I would hate for us all to get our hopes up for a new induction and or power increase to find out that they end up putting a big muffler on the car and making it sound like a Barina :(

Might have to paste it up on a few more sites and pass a few directly onto Toyota HO ;)

Honestly though it would be interesting to know what kind of info they have been looking at both internally and externally (forums etc.) to derive an answer or to base their reports on.

I agree we should all make Toyota admit this publicly. I am getting sick of big organisations lying to the public, deceiving the unsuspecting. Its hard earned money we are shelling out to buy the Stivo. I suggest all Stivo owners on the forum sign a petition and we can submit it to Toyota AUstralia to get them to take action. I think the SA guys did the same thing didn't they and it worked. What do you guys think?

Zee

im with that please see post

Toyota South Africa has formally acknowledged that the South African spec cars do not deliver on the 141kW promise

If this is the case - Toyota Australia will be in a lit of trouble legally because they have sold these cars under the impression to buyers that they are producing 141kw.

This now is fromally not the case as seen in the above quote

Therefore i pose the question to other stivo members what can we do to be COMPENSATED for this lack in preformance

I feel if we hit toyota in a united front across all Australia something will be done

This could include writting letters, seeing the dealer making telephone calls.

The main thing is we have a common goal in what we want to achieve in this united front.

So i pose the question -

HOW CAN TOYOTA COMPENSATE SPORTIVO DRIVES FOR THE MISLEADING POWER INPUT ON OUR CARS???

I await some input so we can work to a united front and have some action and some compenstation handed out

Thanks BOYZ

But as I have pointed out before 'try not to speculate on this issue too much' I would hate for us all to get our hopes up for a new induction and or power increase

I can not stress how important this is. we dont want to go to Toyota with incorrect information.

We need something in writting along the lines of what Bill got before we can 'make' them do something for us.

If we dont do our research before you go ahead with a 'threat' then you will be the one with egg on your face.

dont get too gun ho guys. By all means approach toyota as a group to enquire what the issue is but dont go in all guns blazing saying "where is our power increase fix!?"

Also I wish they develop a kit to fix that damn rattle.

Thanx QUICKSILVER for the information.  Keep us informed of future developments.

Its a pleasure. You'll be pleased to know trhat level 5 cables have been developed and will resolve the gear cable vibration.

Just a thought, check out www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum, our local club forum. You'll get a wealth of info, some useful and other useless :D .

also, on your tranny problems, I just want to confirm this - I know that the box is scratchy / nothcy when going INTO a gear. Do any of you experience a scratchy feeling and in some cases, reluctance for the gear lever to COME OUT of first (not talking about going into 2nd, but specifically, coming out of one).

On mine, its more noticeable on cold starts on cold days. Please let me know