Sportivo factory Recall ??

I was talking to my much over worked service guy today about my Rolla... Well it seems that there maybe a recall on the Sportivo in August to give the lil beasts a bit of sting they have been lacking... Apparently its been proven that they arent making the claimed 141kw so Toyota are coming to the party to fix the problem... So with any luck from what I was told us Sportivo owners could be in for a nice 10kw gain....

Wonder how hot the rumour will be... :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see all this rumour mongering is making me very confused cause 3 toyota dealers denies any sought of recall, and i am not talkin gon a customer level i'm talking to the heads of service at all as friends of friends??? hope for the 10kw

I heard the exact same thing at work Yesterday....... Hopefully it does happen. The ADR (i think) have come down on Toyota again, with false claims on there web site..... about the power of the car..... Also something to do with noise levels with the engine.

I was told that Toyota is working on a performance chip for the Rolla that will bring it upto the correct power rating.

I guess we just have to wait and see.....

Pete.

maybe we should make some noise to find out whats going on.

how about a formal letter to toyota asking them whats going on, signed by all of us owners. i'm sure they would take us seriously, there are atleast a good 20-30 of us from all different states.

or we could also sit on our bums until august and see how it goes *crosses fingers fixes for rattles, knocking and other engine noises, new selector cables, +10kws, new gear box *

oh but i wouldnt trade her for any other car *goes to garage for a perve*

I am hoping for that 10kw too..

:unsure:

but then wouldnt they have to recall all the celicas as well ?

since we use the same gearbox and engine ?

and dyno show that both car have similar kw output ?

I am hoping for that 10kw too..

:unsure:

but then wouldnt they have to recall all the celicas as well ?

since we use the same gearbox and engine ?

and dyno show that both car have similar kw output ?

I think the problem with ours is with the airbox and ECU tuning. They retuned the Stivo's ECU and we also have a crappier air intake setup compared to the Celica's. So that could be where the 10kw is. As with the gearbox, i suspect the Stivo uses a different clutch and flywheel to the Celica and of course our reknowned gear selector cables which didn't cause any problems on the Celica. Hopefully Toyota would recall all Stivos to get these problems fixed.

you dont really need an extra 10kW more.. what you need is an extra 10Nm! With no LSD, i can't say that that extra 10kW more is gonna be put to good use :P Just my humble opinion :unsure:

And whats gonna happen to us who have modded the intake IF a recall actually happens? Toyota obvious will tune it with the stock air box in mind and those fussy pricks at the service centre might threaten to void warrenties and crap like that..

I think you will find it has nothing to do with the airbox. I think it would be more the ecu if anything that would be an issue. But in saying this lets not speculate unless you are either close to the source ie work for Toyota or know some one that works there. It could be anything if at all just be patient till we are advised.

i'm sorry but i have no patience :( and you can't help but be exicited bout all this :) i hope it's the ecu otherwise might have to put the factory box back in. so peekay what's going to happen with your car :lol:

I won't touch anything till I know. Also the Manger I got my car through at the Toyota dealership is a friend so I should not have any issues. If it is the ECU the the UNICHIP will have to be retuned (would not be happy about that though)

• 3 weeks later...

peekay34,

how much difference is your t-sport with the unichip? in terms of engine responsiveness from low rpm to high rpm. which unichip did you use? how much did that set you back? did you install that yourself? :lol:

peekay34,

how much difference is your t-sport with the unichip? in terms of engine responsiveness from low rpm to high rpm. which unichip did you use? how much did that set you back? did you install that yourself? :lol:

gus you might like to check out this topic for some answers

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=379

I just spoke to the Service Manager where i bought my sportivo. he said the recall on the sportivo was on models before a certain date and it has to do woth the steering column :blink: and he checked up my chassis number and said its all good.

now we seem to all be gettin different stories. i bet no one will get anything in writing from toyota confirming any recall.

im very interested in the outcome.

:angry:

I just spoke to the Service Manager where i bought my sportivo. he said the recall on the sportivo was on models before a certain date and it has to do woth the steering column :blink: and he checked up my chassis number and said its all good.

now we seem to all be gettin different stories. i bet no one will get anything in writing from toyota confirming any recall.

im very interested in the outcome.

:angry:

that particular recall has been around for quite some time now.

Well, I hope that all those guys who have friends or know people working in Toyota, just keep doing what you're doing, which is speaking to them to find out what's going on.

I reckon we should give our selves a deadline. Since it was mentioned that a recall MIGHT happen in August, how about we wait till the end of August and if there's still no news, we send in the letter with all the signatures we can get. Cool?

I sent a casual email to Toyota Australia to get some info and this was their reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent email regarding the performance of the

Corolla

Sportivo.

We would like at this moment in time to acknowledge receipt of this

email

and to advise that the issue at hand is not safety related, nor is a

vehicle reliability or normal operation compromised. The issue is

being

reviewed with Japanese departments and regulatory bodies.

Details will be released to the public once the action plan for

resolution

has been clarified, and yes we agree that rectification should pose no

impost on the customer.

Our apologies for any inconvenience that this concern has created and

please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------