Sportivo factory Recall ??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in South Africa we get at the coast 120-126kw on the wheels and 94-100kw at altitude 1500m

And after a year of complaining to toyota we are getting the new ecu and air filter nosel that is less restrictive-alos the have to reprogram your keys for the new ecu. I must say toyota did their best here to help us and they are about to install the upgrades so im getting my car dyno'd before and afterwards....to see if they are talking BS

Hi za_insane,

can you please post a direct link to the thread where you guys are discussing the probs with toyota as i was just on your forum and im either blind or couldnt find it :blink::blink::blink:

Thanks

Bill

Hi guys, i received another email from the nice lady at Toyota AUstralia today and it says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a further follow up. We can advise that Toyta Australia are

currently

investigating a matter affecting the Corolla Sportivo vehicles

involving a

minor engine power rating discrepancy.

We have advised the relevant Australian Government regulatory agencies

of

the issue and are now working with them and with TMC to implement

necessary

actions.

We are preparing to provide all involved customers with clear advice

concerning this issue at the earliest possible opportunity and we will

contact you again shortly in that regard.

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond to your

concerns

and thank you also for your patronage of the Toyota Corolla Sportivo.

Regards,

Jenny Stewart

Customer Relations Centre Manager

Customer Relations Department

Customer First Development Division

Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

Email: jenny.stewart@toyota.com.au

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOOHOOO!!!!!! Sounds like we are getting more power soon like the SA guys! :lol::lol:

Zee

I just found out from a friend who just bought a Sportivo from Toyota. They won't deliver the car to him till they fix the problems with it, so in the mean time, he actually gets a Stivo as a loan car. So that confirms it, they said that they'll get him the car in a about a month or so.

It's coming boys!!!

Refer:

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=3692

and

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=3885

As you can see this is genuine stuff, no speculation, no opinions,.... pure fact. I have personally been involved in this process and I attended the meeting with senior management at Toyota South Africa, as spokesperson to the affected group.

The modification for SA spec cars consists of the fitment of an all new ECU, which has been remapped as well as the removal and replacement of the Air Cleaner cap.

Hope this helps.

With respect to approaching Toyota Australia, the trick is to be professional and diplomatic. I have already provided the memorandum that I drafted which initiated the South African process. Hope you use it.

Refer:

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=3692

and

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=3885

As you can see this is genuine stuff, no speculation, no opinions,.... pure fact. I have personally been involved in this process and I attended the meeting with senior management at Toyota South Africa, as spokesperson to the affected group.

The modification for SA spec cars consists of the fitment of an all new ECU, which has been remapped as well as the removal and replacement of the Air Cleaner cap.

Hope this helps.

With respect to approaching Toyota Australia, the trick is to be professional and diplomatic. I have already provided the memorandum that I drafted which initiated the South African process. Hope you use it.

Thanks a lot Quicksilver, without the info from you SA guys we would probably still be kept in the dark. But i am happy with the acknowledgement from Toyota Australia so hopefully they would give us an answer soon. By the way, have you had the "Kit" installed yet? Please let us know of the outcome.

Cheers,

Zee

Discussions with senior technical personnel at Toyota South Africa has revealed that new cables have been designed to resolve the gear cable vibration problem. I'm not sure when it will be rolled out, though I am of the firm opinion, that one should not put the car through the torment of stripping the existing cables out of the vehicle. Some months ago, I posted a thread noting that the vibration on existing cables can be resolved by putting in some liquid Polyurethane, which will adopt the characteristics of rubber when dried.

Shao, the air cleaner cap is the top paret of the air box :P .

A question for quicksilver.. What will happen to those of us who have aftermarket intakes? The installation of the ecu wouldnt affect the process but will they tune the car to the aftermarket intakes? Or is it just a plug and play item which dont need the car to be on a dyno.

A question for quicksilver.. What will happen to those of us who have aftermarket intakes? The installation of the ecu wouldnt affect the process but will they tune the car to the aftermarket intakes? Or is it just a plug and play item which dont need the car to be on a dyno.

Thats a difficult question, purely because the Australian owners seem to assume that they will rewceive the same modification as their South African counterparts. To the best of my knowledge, the cars built for Australia by the South African plant were in fact fitted with a different ECU to that for the SA destined cars. Although it seems that Australia also has a power shortage, I'm not sure whether the fieldfix will entail the fitment of a new Electronic Control Unit. I'm not saying that it won't, but saying that I'm not sure.

In respect of SA cars fitted with modified air induction kits, discussions with the technical department revealed that whilst TSA cannot force someone to revert to the OE equipment, they cannot guarentee results when the new ECU is matched to an aftermarket system. The new ECU is not programmable remotely, unfortunately. The mapping is done during the course of manufacture and it does not function as a piggy back system.

What i want to know is, has anyone in australia done a dyno test with there stock standard sportivo to prove it does not reach the 141kw which has been advertised when we bought the car? Or r we assuming it doesnt cause the SA versions dont and our cars were made there? might sound stupid but just curious?

To find out the exact power output of an engine.. it needs to be removed and dynoed.. dyno-ing it from the wheels dont get exact figures.. but im sure we arent getting that full 141kW toyota claims.

To find out the exact power output of an engine.. it needs to be removed and dynoed.. dyno-ing it from the wheels dont get exact figures.. but im sure we arent getting that full 141kW toyota claims.

100% Mee?. :

One can never accuratelyu measure, or should I say calculate, flywheel power on a rolling wheel dyno. Theres too many variables - tyre pressure, drivetrain losses, etc. TSA removed a few engines and tested them in both Japan and here in SA under controlled conditions.

What i want to know is, has anyone in australia done a dyno test with there stock standard sportivo to prove it does not reach the 141kw which has been advertised when we bought the car? Or r we assuming it doesnt cause the SA versions dont and our cars were made there? might sound stupid but just curious?

The question should be, has an Australian delivered engine been dynoed?

The 141kw figure is at the flywheel, so as above - dynoing at the wheels won't tell you anything about the flywheel figure, unless you know the exact powertrain loss.

I'm not aware of any Australian chassis dyno figures, but if it exists Xoom or one of you other "info wizards" are sure to find it...

Ok for the rattle first up. I am told (from toyota) that trials of the latest field fix for the selector cables rattle have been taken place down in Melbourne and they have been successful. Now i heard this each time i had my car fixed (A TOTAL OF 6 TIMES) with the shortest lasting fix only lasting a day and the longest one only lasting 3 weeks before the problem came back. So i am now waiting to hear from toyota as to when they will be releasing this fix to the rest of us as they said they would be in touch and we will see how long this one lasts. I just hope they finally got it right.

As for the engine power. Well the closest i got to getting this done was actually getting it priced back when i was stock. It would cost approx 2K-3K to get an engine dyno done. It was like 1K-1.5K for the dyno for the day (as thats how long it would take to set it all up) and 1K->1.5K for the mechanic to pull ur engine out n fit it again once your done. After i found out the price that was the last time that the idea of getting mine engine dyno'ed crossed my mind.

Cheers

Bill