Second Hand Vienta Rims

Tash

Hi all,

Have been looking at a set of rims at a wreckers - they are the Vienta rims from the Gen 3 Camry (at least I have only seen them on Vientas) and they look in pretty good condition.. just a bit dirty. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions on what to look for or if second-hand rims arent a good idea so any help would be appreciated. They've still got the tyres on them and as Ive only just got new 14" (the rims are 15") on the front id probably stretch those over them and put them on the back and get new 15" for the front. Although my b/f just took 2 " off his commodore and has kept them so i could use those too.

Thanks!

i think suss out the condition and scrap makes ,gutter hits to the rim & check inside of the rim to see if there is any hidden cracks! if there is any defects go for it!

Thanks for the advice - will head out there for a closer inspection when I get the chance :)

Hehe yeah, or so Ive heard at any rate... Obviously you just wouldnt have as much rubber over the tyres for the road so probably not the best option... I believe thats one method of getting really low profile tyres so the mags stand out more. I would prob be looking at trading tyres in anyway for a bit of cash back and getting 15"'s it match anyway :)

I can't believe that someone has thought of trying to stretch a 14" tyre onto a 15" rim! :huh:

There are a whole host of issues that would come out of such a thing, not the least of which is the fact that it would be almost impossible to do! :P

Your best bet would be to try and trade your 14" tyres on some decent 15" ones ... being from a Camry, they should be a popular size and easy to on-sell for whoever does it for you.

Just please don't do the stretchy thing, if you value human life! :)

Edited by Buddha

i dont think its possible at all. ever seen how hard it is to get a 17" rim onto a 17" wheel?

wouldnt be possible to get a tyre 1 inch smaller on the wheel i wouldnt think

normally its a thin tyre on wide rims rather then a small tyre on larger rims ;)

Exactly ... even that is dangerous enough in itself, but the Japanese do love it! I guess they don't get up to speeds where the danger in that is exposed.

If you tried to stretch a 14" tyre onto a 15" rim, you're likely to break the beading that matches up to the rim ... the beading is what holds the tyre on the rim as well as the seal that keeps the air in.

Yeah - was never going to try that. Have since been back and they are no good anyway, only two of the rims are in good enough condition to put on, the others all have lots of gouges/scratches etc Will just have to stick to my trusty hubcaps lol

• 6 months later...

<_< :( :blink::huh: Stretching a 14 inch tyre onto a 15 inch rim :lol: ......not a chance. That one is up there with "ring glue" for sticking broken piston rings back together (got a young bloke at Repco with that one a few years back ;) ).

• 2 weeks later...